1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Gears of War - Single Player Experience

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by dinjo_jo, 23 Feb 2009.

1. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

I'm getting Gears of war - collectors edition , wanted to know how good the game is in single play as with story mode.Also is 360 controller as good as kb mouse
    I won't be playing Multiplayer

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I found it boring and very repetetive

probably the second morst overhyped game since halo.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Unsubstantiated statements, A.K.A. opinion stated as fact.

The single-player is very repetitive, though, he got that much right. You should already know if you like the gameplay of GoW - if you do, you'll be fine with it. If not, well, give it a try, the game's best moments (such as grenade tagging, curb stomping and sniping) don't show themselves straight away.
    The story is involving enough, but it's slow progressing. The character dialogue is good, the graphics are gorgeous, but it's not as dynamic as co-op or multiplayer.
    Re: controller, I played it through once with kb+mouse and am now doing a run with a 360 controller. It's actually better in some ways and it's definitely my preference, but [url="]your mileage may vary[/url]. Try both if you've already got a 360 pad.

4. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I loved the game, I loved the charectors and story and think its definately one of the most gripping games on the xbox 360 and one of the best out.

Get it, you will not be dissapointed.

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I just bought myself a copy for £15 and I can't get the damn thing to run, it keeps telling me that I've altered the game with downloadable content and I'll have to reload the game - I didn't do anything to it.

Having read the forums, apparently I need to uninstall the game, reinstall it and before I even try to start the game, load all the patches, make sure I have the latest version of Windows Live and since I have an Asus M/board I need to uninstall the Bios updater then reinstall the game and then put the Bios updater back in - what a pain in the arse!!!

Is this this supposed to be the great Games for Windows experience? If it wasn't for the fact that I really want to get this bu££er working I was almost tempted to sling in a corner and forget about it.

Makes me wonder if maybe I should have simply bought the 360 version.

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

My comment above about it being great was based on the xbox 360 version....the pc version is good too but a nightmare to get it to run....Its bugged as hell.

Its good once its up and running. I would get a xbox 360 personally if I were you :p

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

it'll work out cheaper to get te 360 version (imagines destruction from keyboards and mice thrown through monitor during fits of rage trying ti get it working)...

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not really - he started with "I found it", so nothing that follows is an fact.

9. boiled_elephant

Not exactly - he followed with "probably the second morst overhyped game since halo.", a standalone sentence, and most definitely with the tone of a statement of fact.

Don't get pedantic on my ass, I'll pedanticate you into next week :p

Anyway, *ahem*...yeah, whatever you've heard about Games for Windows Live, if it's not bad, it's false. The whole system is buggy, inconveniencing and offers next to no benefit, c.f. GTA4.

edit -
    Normally that'd be good advice, but when you've already got a gaming rig and a 360 controller buying a 360 is like hiring a hooker when you've already got a wife :)

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

"probably the second most overhyped game since halo" is a blatant statement of personal opinion tbh. :p

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Except the hooker will be better at certain things ;)

12. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

Thank u guys , i have got it now playing with kb and mouse

13. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

If you can play it co-op, by all means do. It is a better experience IMO, though single player isn't bad by any means. Then again, I'm a sucker for co-op campaigns :)

14. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

I hate hearing about "repetitive" as a complaint about shooting games, very, VERY few of them aren't repetitive!

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Would seem wierd playing Gears of War with a mouse. It's made for controller really, and works so well with it. The cover system especially

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Hey Dinjo_Jo,

You said that you got the game working, can you please confirm what you did to get it up and running? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and not on a(nother) wild goose chase with this obstinate game.

PS Are you running Vista or XP and which service pack are you on?

17. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

This is very true. When has a shooter ever not been at least a bit repetitive? Its hard for them not to be, by their very nature. As long as the story is fresh and moves along, thats the real thing. If you want interesting gameplay, go for a puzzler/rpg, etc. They can add new twists, but in the end, a shooter is a shooter - you aim and press a button, and thats about it. Fun, but repetitive.

18. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

next they'll be telling us there's too much jumping in platformers or not enough variety in tetris :D

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That L block is getting a bit old

20. boiled_elephant

No it's not, I still get little chills of surprise when the L appears in the preview corner. It's such a troublesome piece, and has lost none of its tactical challenges :p

All games are basically doing the same random repetitive patronisingly slow-learned task or two for a few hours and being rewarded with slight upgrades, changes and/or awesome cutscenes. The format hasn't changed in decades, never will, and doesn't need to. The only blameable fault is when a game doesn't do enough to disguise the repetitiveness and keep you interested. GoW's dialogue and characterisation alone is amusing enough to keep me interested...not to mention the chainsaw executions.

They just...never get old. Ever.