1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Early Look: Asus Eee PC T91

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

fugly

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have been waiting for this. A tablet netbook would be awesome to use as a netsurfing device.

I still don't understand why they always make netbooks so damn glossy. Netbooks are often used outdoors with lots of light around, making the screen pretty much useless...

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

battery not removable? crap!

5. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Good point, they over do it just abit.

6. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

not too bad a tablet. although ill stick with my HP TX2500 thank you very much. larger screen (12.4") does exactly the same teblet foldy magic and also can play a lot of my games (HL2, C&C3 etc.)

Now if i could only find a decent simulation of LCARS for vista ill be laughing!

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I've only read to about a third of the way down page 2 but:

No removable battery. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I was really gonna buy this thing.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how much RAM has this thing have??

touching is definitely something i'd be looking for if i get a notebook, as a tiny trackpad will be really annoying, and mouse will mean added stuff.

i don't like the stylist though, will there be pure capacitive touch tablets coming?

imagine: a good camera phone, and a capacitive tablet PC, all bases will be covered. much better than a single iPhone.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's got 1GB - I forgot to add the known specs list in... apologies.

There will be touch-based tablets coming using Microsoft Surface technology, afaik. Not sure on pricing or availability dates though...

10. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

i hope this can run BT3 without a problem

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i was pretty excited when this was announced
    did you get to try writing on it?

although if it does end up being more like £400 than £300 i might give it a miss, for that price i think i'd want multi-touch stuff

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I've thought about modding one of our 900s or 901 into one of these. Still might! The original eeePC is cheap and touchscreens are all over eBay.
    Need to figure out the swivel but I wouldn't buy one of these. We have extra batteries for ours now and removable is a must.

john

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Weight? Battery life?

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Covered in the article

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

anyone who buys one of these is likely to be gutted in a year or so, defo wait to see what the market offers and make a decision based on that. i waited for the 1000 series and im glad i did

16. zelachang

zelachang What's a Dremel?

I think the price will be the ultimate deciding factor on this. If its between 500-700 it might do alright but anything over that is going to make it overpriced. A couple things put me off, the glossy screen, windows xp. I know there are many who still prefer xp over vista, but for tablet purposes I think vista is far superior. Maybe Asus somehow came up with some software that can grant the tc91 with some additional capabilities but that remains to be seen. Hopefully it has Office 2007 installed as OneNote is an awesome program. The glossy screen is another huge issue. I'm pretty sure that the stated battery life at 5 hours is with the screen brightness turned way down. It could be okay for laptops and netbooks but laptops generally lie flat on the table, reflecting any lights above. I foresee that this is going to make it a pain to conserve energy while reading and writing notes. That said, I don't see how this laptop has such poor battery life with such energy efficient components. My HP 2710p gets about 5.5 hours and thats with a mechanical HD and a core 2 duo. It is a little heavier at 1.11 kg but its also larger at 12.1" which means more screen real estate for writing.

Anyways, I picked up my hp 2710p for $800 refurbished on woot.com. If anyone is seriously in the market for a tablet to do writing on I think that they'd happily pick up a refurb 2710p or tx2500z over this tablet if they were the same price. If Asus manages to keep it around 5-600 it will be much more successful given its caveats.

17. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

What is this a ipod? Can not remove the battery? Its as if they just do not want to give it all to us. "It has this and that but............... you can't remove the battery when it goes bad! Hahahahahaha"

18. sunnymiu

sunnymiu What's a Dremel?

Millions of user using an iPod and claiming this notebook have no removable battery. lol.

19. sunnymiu

sunnymiu What's a Dremel?

How many USB ports do the notebook have?
    I only see one and the review only stated one... as crappy as the MacBook Air?

20. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

i would love it for work, but if i wanna get one, ill be getting the T101
    I do alot of work with my pad like inventory and stuff like that, and clearly this would work for me :p

Tags: Add Tags