1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

Man Cheapskate those are incredible!

Superb work.... All of you guys bury me with ability, but I do intend on "borrowing" a lot of your ideas in the near future...... :D

2. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

this is what i had in mind. taking a circular case and to be able to change the theme of it at will with removing the shell and side panels. this was one theme i had in mind using first, a clock. it'd actually work with the clock from the computer. had other themes in mind as well like a Ghostbusters theme, and a fan theme. was thinking how much more better a big 250mm fan would cool it. youde be able to take apart the shell because it'd be able to snap together creating the circle.

3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

@ Cheapskate

Glad to see your back mate. New design looks cool especially like the way the res is sitting on the front of the case and I'm guessing that optical drive will rise up and down on a micro moter?

Crazy Suggestions

*You could add a second res into the front and run a dual wc system using 2 colours.

@ _man1c_

That would make a crazy media pc man, mounted on the wall above the TV.

@ Xtrafresh

Less work more play!

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

*rises from the dead*

will have to get going on my design again, just moved houses, living with just my fiancee and my son now, it's great. haven't even got my workstation set up yet so no work on it just yet ;) the competition is getting more and more intense now, some awesome designs coming from you guys!

5. Scream

Scream Dr. Octagonapus

Added some more stuff :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is there anyway to get the switch to show up properly from a distance?

Last edited: 24 Feb 2009
  6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

[​IMG]
    Not entry worthy (not with a hope in hell anyway :), loving everyone's work so far :jawdrop:) but I can dream.
    The bottom half of the red book is the optical drive tray BTW.

Very buildable though (albeit with some cooling issues), so maybe a future project should the need for a pc that can hide on a book shelf arise :thumb:

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Haha... I like that bookshelf PC. More stealthy is definately not possible :cooldude:

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Can we rig it up so when you power it on the bookcase revolves leading to a secret server room?

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Skylord - Borrow away.:hehe: I stole the pop top idea from this thread.
    @Editor - No motors for me. I'm going to use springs and catches. I want to be able to pop it when the power is off, because the on switch will be in there too. I have a half-sheet of plexi just for louvers.
    @man1c - I can't get a clock to keep time. I could just imagine how buggy a computer in one would be. :D
    @wolfticket - You could put it next to the book that hides the pron/weed/gun/money.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No time, no time...

Ooh! Steampunk! :thumb:

11. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

:hehe: @ cheapskate.

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Love the idea. Go for it.

I don't think personally that a design should win just because it's massively complex and would be a complete nightmare to build.

13. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Awesome submissions from everybody. I love seeing allof the different styles and approachs.

This thread is oozing with inspiring ideas :rock:

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

If you turn 'Display Edges' off it will show up but other things may lose detail.

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Final Submission

Finally got round to finishing my entry :thumb: so here's the final 5 shots that i'm submitting and a link to download the sketchup file.
    Putting them in now as were moving house in about a week so i'll be busy packing and once we get in there will most likely be a period where the ISP cant figure out which switch to press to turn my connection on :eyebrow:

So here it goes...

Project One Life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To download the completed SU file please follow this link and click "Click here to start download.."

Download One Life SU file

-----------------------------------------------------------

Credits:

Thanks to these guys for creating some great models to be hosted on http://scc.jezmckean.com/

**Scooby**
    • Asus Crosshair
    • ATI HD 2900XT w/DangerDen HD 2900 Waterblock
    • EverCool 120mm x 25mm Alum Fan

**Dark3nergy**
    • Corsair Dominator

**BigPhillyEd**
    • 850 SSI

**Rexxie**
    • SATA Harddive

**Marci**
    • ThermoChill PA120.2 Series Radiator
    • Laing DDC3.2 Ultra

-----------------------------------------------------------

Finally thanks to everyone else for being so friendly on these forums... coming out of my lurker cave to enter this competition has been loads of fun and if you cut out the chance of prizes id still say its been worth it just to chat to all of you guys :clap:

Last edited: 27 Feb 2009
  16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You did a lot of work cleaning up the parts. Makes mine look downright sloppy.:D
    I never figured out what the pipe under the pump station was for.
    I guess I'm asking you to highlight and pimp various bits for us. I like what you did with the tubing junction.

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

lol yeah spent a good few days with 2 or 3 sketchups running to rebuild it cleanly :)

Most of the ideas that went into it were a balance of aesthetics, functionality & ease of production (Still designing this for my build) a few of the cooler features are;

** That tube under the pumping station (also seen in the front window) is a junction box carrying 5v & 12v through 3.5mm mono jacks for LED circuits, fans, switches etc. had a play making one from an old plastic box I had laying about and it seems to be working fine after having it in my current rig for a month.

** The pumping station contains 2 x laing ddcs which feed in from a cylinder attached to the res and pump out through the tubes on the front of the case, then beck into the case and through the res after this one goes to the GPU while the other goes to the CPU they both join at the junction which feeds into the rad.

** The bump at the top rear of the case is the quick load HDD bay supporting 3 drives and is cooled by the 120mm fan sitting on its casing.
    The braided cabels for all 3 hard drives will either run under the mobo shroud or inside the tubes on the cases exterior.

Think that's about all the pimping I have in me lol

18. Scream

Scream Dr. Octagonapus

I must mention that you have some very epic sketchup skills Editor!

Nice Job, looks awesome :D

19. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

EPIC sketchup skills, that looks incredible, well done, cant wait to see it getting built.

20. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

yea. i was just happy to see mine in 3D.:jawdrop: