1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dualshock 3 for Vista x64?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PureSilver, 25 Feb 2009.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Has anyone even heard of anyone who managed to make this work? I understand Sony are basically the root of all evil and all or are allergic to imaginative product support or something, but how comes no-one's written their own drivers? (FYI it's my total lack of ability that's holding me back.)

I promise to grant three wishes to the person who has any successful ideas... :thumb:

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

Last edited: 25 Feb 2009
  4. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Sony isnt evil, they just do stupid things. The PS3 is a great console, I've had it since launch.

As for DS3 PC drivers, ya they are around the net. The link above does have a good coverage for it.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

there is nothing for 64bit as far as I know. I have looked as I really wanna use my ps3 controller on the pc but nothing is to be found.

Though I don't see how it is Sony's responsibility to make their controller PC compatible. They were made for the PS3. How does that make them stupid?

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

why would u want to use a ps3 controller, theyre awfull lol

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

theres nothing wrong with the controller, stop being a troll

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

lol right little fan boy

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

well, he sorta, kinda has a point. compared to the 360 pad the ps3 pad is a monstrosity of unusableness. the 360 controller is a much better choice for a gamepad on windows, not least because it's plug and play (if you have a USB version; they also sell a wireless receiver for the wireless version)

yes i have both systems! leave me alone!

Last edited: 25 Feb 2009
  10. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

the ps3 controller isnt ergonomically designed.
    like the grips are basically a cone which makes you grip them tighter where as the 360 has a bow shaped grip which sits better.

you cant honestly say the PS3 controller is better than the 360

11. notatoad

like any input device, it all comes down to personal preference. i have a ps3 and i have an xbox controller for my PC, and i much prefer the ps3 controller. i have quite big hands, but i still find the xbox controller too big. the ps3 controller just feels better to use, and lets me move quicker.

your opinion != fact.

12. PureSilver

Eh, I can't argue that's it's Sony's responsibility. But here's the nub; a DS3 is like £39.99 (RRP). Of that, Sony might well rake in £10-15 in pure profit (I'm generalizing, of course, but hey). I think it's probably fair to say that the percentage Sony makes on have-to-buy-ours-peripherals is higher than the games, and certainly higher than the consoles (originally sold at a loss, remember). So surely, anything that sells more of these expensive little things equals win? (I mean, c'mon, official Dualshock 2's are still £19.99 in HMV...)

I mean, obviously, they know that if you're playing PC games with it, they might have lost the chance to sell you that game on PS3. But I think most people - not necessarily members of a Bit-Tech forum, perhaps, but most people - own the PS3 for games and their PC couldn't play 'em if it tried. So what's Sony's loss? Many people are familiar and comfortable with the DualShock shape, so they could at least fill the yawning void currently occupied by third-party nasties.

tl:dr; If you own a PS3, you get functionality. If you're considering owning a PS3, this might be important. And if you don't own a PS3, at least you bought a controller. What's not to like? :)

Wireless XBox controller - £28.99 from Scan.
    Wireless DS3 - £33 from Scan + £8 'world's smallest' bluetooth dongle, also from Scan.
    Sure, it's more expensive. But the latter is actually something I want to use...

Here's hoping... C'mon PS2devs! :clap:

Last edited: 26 Feb 2009
  13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I can. So ner. Stick that in your pipe :D

I'd love to get even a PS3 DS2 working tbh. I have two spare and it'd be great to use them on PC, seeing as some games of late would definitely benefit.

14. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

haha so sony nailed it 14 years ago and havent needed to change a thing since then:)
    im just saying i just dont find the controller confortable.
    you have to strech your thumbs at an unnatural angle to use the analog sticks

some games just dont work with keyboard. i remember trying to play racing games with keyboard, we all know hw well that works:)

15. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

The PS3 controller is not a well thought out controller for our large English (or American) hands.

Triggers that slope away from from your fingers!! What were they thinking? Cretins.

16. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

there are plenty of PS2/dualshock2 to USB converters around. i had one for a while and it worked fine. it was called a magic joy box, i believe, and converted gamecube, ps2, and n64 pads to USB.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Does it work with the PS3 pads though (DS2, i.e. the non rumbling pads for PS3)?

Vista picks it up as a Playstation 3 joypad when plugged into a usb port, but nothing in the game controllers config shows up that I'm pressing buttons/moving sticks etc. I can't get it to connect using bluetooth.

18. PureSilver

I know, so ****ing annoying that it knows what it is, but they didn't get any further than that!

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have a driver for Sixaxis on PC works fine but I still use a 360 pad as thats what most PC games are setup for these days, it just makes more sense, its cheap, its wireless and it works flawlessly.

re PS3 controller being crap I don't understand it, essentially an ergonomic version of the SNES pad, no one moaned about SNES, no one moaned about PS1 nor PS2, now its suddenly become the worst thing ever when in fact its the same, its a good pad thats stood the test of time well, works great through all the old and new stuff.

I'll post link to the driver when I fire up my big machine, though don't hold your breath machine has not been used since the release of underworld.

20. notatoad

no, those are called sixaxis. dualshock2 was the PS2 controller.