1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD and Seagate to demonstrate 6Gb/sec SATA today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

But will they finally make a locking mechanism on the SATA data connector mandatory? SATA has to have the most crappily designed (data) connector ever created, although it's vying for the no. 1 spot with the HDMI connector. Also, why is the SATA power connector more than twice as wide as the data connector, and why do we really need that special power connector? Molex connectors have worked pretty well so far.

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

SATA and HDMI are awesome? Are you one of the people who liked SCART? :p

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

scart was fine whats up eith it?

5. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

coax Cheesecake!!

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm talking about the connector, not the protocol. And yes, even though SCART didn't have the best connector it still beats HDMI by miles.

Is some sort of simple *mandatory* locking mechanism really too much to ask? This is especially true for SATA. I've seen my fair share of pc problems where it turned out that the SATA connector "accidentally" disconnected itself (read: dropped out).

I know there are some 3rd party SATA (and HDMI) cables with a locking mechanism, but sadly they don't always work because there's no mandatory provision for locking the connector in place.

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

4-pin Molex are an absolute bitch to plug in if the socket pins on the plug are slightly out of alignment as almost always happens. It's seriously taken me 15mins to plug in one connector before due to this! (re-arrange misaligned pin, plug in, find another is out of alignment, re-align that one, another is out of place etc!)

SATA power plug in and out with no fuss every single time due to being land and fixed-tab based instead of pin and mobile-socket-pin based.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I have no issue with the SATA power connector, other than I cannot really see what it brings to the table that a Molex connector doesn't and why it's so much larger than the SATA data connector.

My anger is firmly directed at the SATA data connector! It's a thing of pure evil! :)

9. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Tell me the difference between a 2.5" SATA drive, and a 2.5" IDE drive.

Answer: the 2.5" drive uses the same SATA power connector. It can fit straight into the same backplanes. The IDE drive needs a special, slimmer cable (integrated into the IDE connector) because the combination of IDE data/molex is just too damn big/awkward.

From the word go, the SATA (and consequently SAS) power and data cables were designed to compliment each other. Hotswap backplanes, and cramped environments being perfect examples.

And I don't know what you're whinging about with the data cables: older cables would fall out, sure. But the ones I've just pillaged out of a friends motherboard box, squeezed-in with a nice click. I'd have to yank them to pull them out.. To a similar degree, you could easily dislodge an IDE cable, given the same level of carelessness.

10. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I honestly do not have any problems with my SATA connectors. They are SATA I and everytime i plug them in, I hear a firm click as they lock into place and then they take a litle bit of force to get out.

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

For me, even when mine click, they seem loose. Maybe it's just me, but I would like the connection to be a firm as possible for maximum data rates...

12. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

If you look at the connector of a cable the slide plate is nearly identical to a USB, and the male port on the device recesses a good distance too. Anyway, if the cable was loose your data rate wouldnt even matter cause your connection would be lost. I mean what are you guys doing anyway that the cables become loose? Jumping off the bed with your PC or something?

I prefer the cables with one end being the L curve. Reduces the stress on the port and overall is less cumbersome.

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I'm using an older cable SATA v.1 cable. It's when they first came out, so that's probably why or the cable was just made cheap. I hear what you're saying though. I just made a PC for a friend and his seemed much sturdier. I'm probably just imagining things so...

14. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

Whats the deal with connector problems. Pin alignment has been a frustrating moment, but the only real problem I have ever had was an IDE cable going bad. Other than that SATA .....:clap: so easy. When I bought my first SATA drive I :waah: it was so good to have such an easy connect.

15. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

To get back on topic, Hell ya I want this 6g, even with sata II raid, I still have problems with disk lag. I just really hope they implement this into a pci slot card as well so I can upgrade my server as well as my gaming rig.

16. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Keep an eye on LSI's website: it looks as-if they'll have some products coming soon. Whether or not it'll filter down from their MegaRAID range to the more basic HBA (sans RAID-5/6 support) range is anyone's guess. Though it's safe to say that it won't be straight away.

Tags: Add Tags