1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Where is bit-tech's GeForce GTS 250 review?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oh dear. The big green playing dirty for no discernible reason? There was an article lurking the other day from HardOCP TheInq about the very same crap too.

Tut tut tut, the last thing you need is bad press at this time.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2009
  3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

TheINQ might have it right then... They only want positive reviews.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I thought that one was from the inquirer.
    Shenanigans from Nvidia? :eek:
    The thing is, if they're doing this because they're worried about their rebranding exercise, why make changes to the reference cards? (1 Gb cards etc) What would be the point?

5. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

And this is why i love Bit LOL @ that picture!!!!

Personally Bit i think you should refuse to do any review on rebranded cards and just repost reviews of the old cards with the name of it crossed out and replaced with the new name

reviewing rebranded cards even if they still perform well is giving them licence to sell old stuff to people who dont know better for more money, the sooner everyone stands up about the practice it will continue

EDIT:

yes im aware doing so would affect the working relationship with Nvidia and you wont be allowed new cards to play with etc, but someone HAS to make a stand and it would just garner more respect from the enthusiast community which tbh is what bit is aimed at, and the mores respect you gain the more loyal readers you gain which is more money in the pocket for you alll

and lets face it they have already refused to give you a review sample so obviously they dont have that good of a relationship with you, so they have fired the first shots, the question is are you guys going to puss out and take it? or man up and face it

so in all honestly boycotting rebrainds is the best solution imo

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'd send a message, and post a review that simply links to the 9800 GTX+ review. Possibly with a derogatory comment.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thanks Kayin and Badders, it was TheInq. :p

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Wow...well Nvidia's trying to cover up for their obstinate lack of innovation by rebranding the same card 3x..

Really I'm all for making a stand against this, but that might reduce your chances of getting newer Nvidia cards...Is it worth the payoff?

9. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

So, [H] and The Inq were right. It's a very sad day.

Mind you, trying to re-release the 8800 again, to get a third bite of the apple as it were, is almost criminal in itself.

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

haha nvidia have clearly shown their true colours here for me

they know that the first thing bit-tech will do is go "ITS AN 8800GTS with more ram!" so they dont send a sample.

clearly they understand the market for this card: people who dont know better

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Looks to be priced ok, they shouldn't play silly beggars though >_<

12. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

It's simple, they know the card sux, so they don't want to give you people the chance to probe it - problem solved.

13. Htr-Labs

Htr-Labs What's a Dremel?

-

Last edited: 19 Dec 2016
  14. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

The shitty thing is, that Nvidia's stock price keeps going up as well. Even when they are screwing their customers with rebranded old tech.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

IMO, shareholders care about margins and profit more than new technology

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Actually the Geforce GTS 250 is not identical to the 9800+
    The 250 has an option of 1GB (so helps a little on large resolution screens), smaller board (from what I can see from pictures on other sites), and uses a tiny bit less power.

17. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Yes but it is the same GPU core basically, so it should keep the original numbering and just have something like "super special large screen lower power version" stamped next to the already super long name...

Lets be serious, you don't take you dog in for a haircut and give it a new name when you pick it up from the groomer since it will be shedding less hair and smell better than it used to do you?

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

There's a 9800 GTX+ 1GB as well. It uses a bit less power and the board is 9in instead of 10.5in, yes, but there is absolutely no difference in performance.

19. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

according to the INQ (and HardOCP might've mentioned this too, i'm not sure) the sample boards from the partners are better optimised than what will hit the retail shelves, making for reviews that aren't truly indicative of the final product! i think if BT really wants to do a review of the gts 250 it should get a card from a retailer, benchmark it, then return it ("it's not compatible with my system, i only have AGP")

the gts 250 launch is quite a farce as it is, with nvidia only supplying reviewers who aren't going to let slip that its essentially an 8800 with a better clock, more ram and less power consumption. if what the INQ says is true, and review boards are far better than the retail boards... well, i don't even know how to finish this sentence, that's how bad it is

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

HardOCP do tend to Not to Bother testing rebranded video cards (sure they never made an review for the 9800GTX+ as it was the same as an 8800 GTS, thay may have but only an very fast test)

one thing to Note thought is this card comes with 1gb of ram so may be able to handle higher res
    but who happens to want this card when you got an 32" screen you would be getting an GTX285 or GTX295 or 2 4870 1gb in CF (4870X2 cant turn CF off that is an fail, why i not get it)

Tags: Add Tags