1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What I learned from Deus Ex

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 2 Mar 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

What a stupidly good game it was, and remains of course, the only one I bring myself to consistently replay on a regular basis.

3. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

thanks for the answer joe, and i have to say i think i gained similar experiences.

though my friends weren't really into gaming so i didn't have the discussion element, i thoroughly enjoyed how many times one could go through the game without really playing the same game.

yes as you say, the levels were played in the same order, but every time i play i have a different experience, i try different things just to see how it affects the story later on. i must have played through the game half a dozen times, and i still know there's so much more to do.

like the previous poster, it is a game i will continue to return to.. so long as i have my ps2, or a computer that supports the pc version (and yes i own it on both formats lol)

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Always a shame: deus ex 2 is dirt cheap in the shops but deus ex one is either not available or four times the price....grrr

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I will never forget how amazing all of my experiences were with Deus Ex. It is the only game that I can not remember how many times I have completed it (Baldur's Gate 2 is in second place on 3 playthroughs). It was that many

And each and everytime I have learnt, experienced, and played something different. It is amazing how much thought, care and attention to detail went in to crafting it. It was almost literally heart breaking when I played DE2. Sure, it wasn't a bad game, but it was a horrific sequel.

And after reading up on some released details on the new DE, I am not exactly holding my breath for a game that surpasses, or even equals, the original.

They sure don't make them like they used to.

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Deus Ex is only £5.99 on Steam.
    hmm, so is Invisible War, should I?

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

So long as you expect to be let down, it is worth playing. But don't expect anything near to the quality of the original.

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

The original Deus Ex is still one of the best games, even though many years have gone by and thousands of games have been released since then.

9. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

My favourite game ever, at the time I didn't really know anyone else who had played it so was kinda sad when I realised it wasn't an obscure title!

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Deus Ex needs to be remade..

Of all the games it deserves one.

11. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

yeah a remake in source would be great

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

First time I played Deus Ex I steadfastly refused to turn against the organisation you work for (Unatco? My memory fails me). Even given all the coroption and evilness, and the game literally begging me to throw off the shackles of 'the man' and go my own way, I stayed on the straight and narrow for AGES. It also meant Anna Navara stayed alive for most of the game as I refused to kill her (she was my boss!). Made for a rather fascinating play through as the game's story was really pushed to the limit, it was amazing at even though I was going way off centre, it still all worked and made perfect sense.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Hadn't considered Steam...you're right...10euros

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

And I remember you actually telling me about that on the bus and me telling you that you were stupid - I killed Anna as soon as possible, then hid the fact. I also killed the private at the top of the statue of liberty at the start of the first level, which changes a lot of the start of the game.

15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

More than one of the finest games ever made, it's one of the best pieces of fiction ever produced in any medium.

It's one of those games I can return to time and time again and ALWAYS find something new in the game that I never saw before, from a hidden room to a new a dialogue path or even something as simple as another newspaper on the ground.

On top of all that, with its stiff animations and relatively low-poly models, it's a triumph of content and gameplay over graphics and yet at the same time has its own gritty, immersive visual style that it pulls off beautifully.

"You know you've played Deus Ex too much when... You realise you can never play Deus Ex too much."

My experience of Deus Ex seems to be almost identical to Joe's, and basically taught me the same things - It's just that good.
    I'm really enjoying these blogs, they're a great addition to the site.

16. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Oh my life. Joe, I hate you. I've played through Deus Ex so many times; I've even managed to complete it on 'realistic', without the healing aug or any of the rifle/heavy weapon skills on top of knocking everyone out. Yep, I didn't kill anyone aside from the key characters.

But I'm still going to have to go back and kill the guy at the top of Liberty statue: I've always interrogated him! I never knew you could kill him! What have I missed!? And NOT saving Stanton Dowd? Oh my life... Me, and my dissertation, hate you. What a totally epic tribute, to a totally epic game.

17. CardJoe

Heh - you can kill the NSF leader instead of interrogating him, yep. That's not actually what I was referring to though. I was talking about the UNATCO guard that comes to collect the terrorist and who asks you to report back to base - you can kill HIM too. That lets you get more convo out of the terrorist, as well as making Manderley suspicious of you early on as he launches an inquiry into that soldiers death.

18. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I would never have thought about doing that! :jawdrop:

So re-installing it on my old PC! :D

19. CardJoe

There's loads of hidden stuff. The first time you get to explore the UNATCO base you can barge in on Shannon in the womens toilet for example, which will provoke a response from Manderley later on.

20. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I have never played this.
    But now, I am getting it on steam...

Tags: Add Tags