1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Stormrise is Vista, DirectX 10 only

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Someone had to do it eventually, devs can't keep developing for DX9 forever. Given the general consensus of the number of people looking to move to Win 7 when it's released, which I presume will come out before this, this might not be so much of a problem.

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I was looking to play this, guess I will have have to wait until September.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

great, another RTS built for and ruined by consoles!

this is lunacy! when will it stop?!

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'll go dx10 soonish but i'm not upgrading for a consolified rts.... Biggest problem for me is the 8800gts (320mb) has fairly poor dx10 support if i remember correctly.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Interestingly I've been watching Garry's Mod lately, where Garry explains that he won't update the game to the Left4Dead engine anytime soon because it requires DX8 and would cut off the HUGE portion of DX7 gamers who play the game.

7. steveo_mcg

DX7:eeek:

I thought i was slow to upgrade... guess it just the company i keep round here that makes it seem that way.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I was expecting a lot more whining from people about having to move to Vista than this, quite frankly internet I'm disappointed in you, where's your unjustified rage?

9. steveo_mcg

I'm sure if it was for a decent fps then more folk would be up in arms burning an effigy of EA but its unlikely to be very good on the pc lets face it.

10. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Who cares, if they lose money that's there problem. I'm sure they've forecast that they can get a proper return on their investment. In the "current economic climate" they probably aren't going to be doing anything they regard as risky.
    Maybe they've made it for the consoles first because, they will actually buy the game... and they don't whine every time a developer tries to instigate a little progress.

11. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Weyhey! Thank god, one PC game that will not perform like **** because of been converted from consoles *cough*Rockstar*cough*.

12. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

I had the privilege of seeing a presentation from TCA last year. Granted, the focus was more on local game developers in my city, but they showed off quite a bit of StormRise, and said that it was designed primarily for consoles. They then added that there would be a PC DX10 version because they basically get it for free from the XBox 360 version and its SDK. I guess that's basically what the quote in the article says, but unspun.

I myself am surprised that DX9 games are still being made, and that people are still expecting DX9 versions of games, especially as DX11 is less than a year away. Not to mention that most people don't even have DX10 capable cards (not to mention 10.1), and that even these aren't fully compatible with DX11 (so far its really only hardware tessellation and possibly SM5.0 that most DX10 cards fall short on, though i've heard AMD/ATI say that some 4800 series cards have a compatible hardware tessellater). Though I guess much of this is because of people refusing to move from XP to Vista. Apple would never have allowed this...

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Meh. I wouldn't want to play this game on a DX9-only card anyway. It probably wouldn't be able to handle the game at the resolution I want with the optional features enabled anyways. I play on PC for the latest advancements. The rest is for console.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

good, good. more devs should do it. besides, with Win7's reputation, it's really not that surprising.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol yeah.. actually my girl took a class on poverty (she's a teacher) and the things people do while in poverty for entertainment.. they make up a huge part of the entertainment market- they go to movies, play games, watch tv more than the middle class to get their minds off thier problems

dx7 gamers that's pretty funny :D I was poor when I was younger around 17, was homeless awhile- I was always trying to get that nut though.. didn't watch tv or anything so I dunno- maybe welfare gamers XD

16. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i guess gary wants his game to still work on windows 95, most if not all intel IGPs support DX8 (admity very poorly but if your useing intel IGP your going to suffer what ever intel video card it is)

17. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I have a friend who works in 3D graphics, and his eyes light up whenever he talks about DX10 and how much easier it is to work with it is compared to DX9. I think DX10 exclusivity is something that just *needs* to happen so that devs can move on to better tech without wasting effort on backwards compatibility.

If it makes the difference between having a PC version made of a console game and not having it, then I'd say Vista/DX10 exclusivity is good.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'm glad they move to DX10 only, we make all these advancement in technology, make things faster, easier, better, yet developers still only develop for the older generation with the excuse of "but everyone still has the old hardware/software"

Well duh, of course they do, since developers still only create for the older stuff, why upgrade if there's no incentive? Heh.

Can't keep living in the past and expect the products from the future to fit in nicely.

It's like wanting a working electric fridge but not having electricity. Doesn't quite work.

19. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

The only reason the shift to DX10 has taken so long is the terrible adoption rate of Vista and M$'s refusal to release DX10 for XP. Once 7 hits most people who play games on their rig will switch up.

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Read up on DX10 please, ignorance ain't bliss. :wallbash:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2007/02/7060.ars

It would require significant changes to the OS to the point where it doesn't make any sense what-so-ever to even bother doing them. Moving forward with a new OS built with DX10 at it's core was the way to go.

Sorry if you feel it as an attack/rude but I find it rather annoying when people say MS is at fault for not putting DX10 in XP. If you're creating an entirely new feature that isn't compatible with your current OS core, there's no business sense to alter your current OS to match it when it wasn't designed to support it.

And sure, there are "ports" of DX10 to XP, but last I heard they don't exactly work well and don't look quite the same as Vista DX10 (provided the game is actually supports proper DX10)

Tags: Add Tags