1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI shows off Core i5/P55 motherboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

Want...now..omg..do want now!!!!

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I'd rather want a GTS250...

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

looks sweet, interested to see what limitations Corei5/P55 have compared to Corei7/X58

5. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Ok, I'm utterly confused now. I was under the impression that the i5 would use a DMA link and not the QPI?

But, otherwise, a very nice motherboard :)

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Has any board so far offered x16/x16/x16? I love future proofing. Just so I'm not confused, does Crossfire allow you to use any generation of cards or do you have to use the same generation? I know SLI forces you to use the exact same cards.

7. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Is it just me, or has there been a huge lack of information about this? Surely the big 'OMG' should be the GPU on-socket, or have I read this wrong?

Not that I'm aware of, but I really don't think you need it with PCI-E 2.0, given that an 8x link carries the same bandwidth as an original PCI-E 16x slot. :)

8. devdevil85

But wouldn't you want full PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots, especially if you are only going to be upgrading to better, faster cards in the future that may need that headroom?

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/images/crossfirex/CF_combo_chart.jpg

You can use certain different types of cards together, but I believe there are limitations (e.g., running a 1GB card with a 512MB card apparently forces both cards to run as 512MB).

10. devdevil85

Thanks for the chart. I hope current generations can co-exist with future generations. Oh well, that's just wishful thinking I guess and probably not realistic.

11. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

If you need more than PCI-E 2.0 8x bandwidth from a single slot, before you need to upgrade your motherboard/CPU/memory (negating the others) I'll be extremely surprised. That is 4GBytes per second remember.

12. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

And the lack of a northbridge is pretty cool too.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay so wait the north bridge is going to be built into the Core I5 CPU? okay can someone throw me some links that talk about this some more? or at least clear up somethings for me lol

14. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

This is what I can't find on the Internet. Almost as-if no-one was meant to know there was a GPU included in the CPU line! I think we should be told... :)

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Asus P6T6 WS

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Am I right in thinking that the integrated display output won't work with a "normal" i5 processor?

17. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

According to TFA, they'll be 'disabled' with a "normal" i5 processor.

I'm still in the dark about all of this, and it's supposedly due to the fact that almost all of the details concerning the chipset are still under NDA. Probably why Rich hasn't said anything else. (Bless.)

Engadget haven't long had a similar Gigabyte P55 board on their front page, too. Of the photos they took, you can zoom in on this one and quite clearly see the PCB marked with 'HDMI' and 'VGA_DVI'. :)

Which is good news. Now I just wanna know what on Earth is going into the sockets. :sigh:

18. Clay_People

Clay_People What's a Dremel?

God damn it! Lol. My friend just to annoy me pointed me to this link cuz I litteral just got an i7 computer for $1,200.00 from dell. Its to be my gaming computer. I wont have it for another 20 days. Now I find there is going to be something better soon. :(

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Wow you bought a gaming system from Dell, I am soo sorry, I hope you feel better soon.

20. Clay_People

Clay_People What's a Dremel?

What’s wrong with Dell? The only things I saw I may need to replace down the road would be the PS as its only has 360w. I forgot the name of the Video card but peoples reviews said they could play Crysis at high setting with it. They got about 20-25 fps on high settings in Crysis. But my games aren't even near Crysises level of graphics. Well maybe Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. Also it comes with 6 ram but as you know most places use crappy ram so Ill probity update them too.

Tags: Add Tags