1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Pretty swish...

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@arterius - It looks like it could go rogue and take over earth at any minute.

@Confusis - Pin the baby under one of your feet and continue modding. (Yeah, I'd make a terrible parent...)

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

oi that's mean! i just need inspiration to finish the whole deal...

4. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Finally had some time to get a bit done. So far, it's only one of the four MITX compartments going into the case. I've done away with the idea of having them removable as I can't see how the PSU would work as I'm going use one 1000W PSU to power the four MITX systems (Cheers Cooler Master for the idea).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each MITX system houses a watercooled Core2Quad, the tubing passes out the rear (still inside the bigger case) with compression fittings for easy removal. I'll use two Black Ice GTS 360 radiators to cool the entire system, one for the four MITX's and one for the main ATX/mATX system.

Hopefully I'll have more to show soon. Looking at it now, the front is a bit plain, a VFD/LCD for monotoring temps etc. might look good!

Edit: Thanks to Dark3nergy for the waterblock and compression fittings sketchup models. I had to rebuild them in AutoCAD, but they were a huge help.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2009
  5. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

dullonien: I love the design. It looks to be a stellar build. :thumb:

confusis:I like to say "Oi" too, but I spell it "Oy", and we usually say a "Gevalt" at the end of it. :D

I have major Sketchup envy. You are all so talented artistically it just blows my mind. I can see something and reproduce it no problem, but to invision something and create it from scratch is a true gift.

No matter who wins the competition I think you all made some gorgeous designs. I hope I can see at least 20% of them made and witness the work logs. :thumb:

6. dullonien

Cheers. I've only just scratched the surface of my design. I'm still not convinced by the overall look of that MITX 'pod' I've designed there, I'll have to have a play round and see if I can come up with something a bit different.

My one small idea (as this is just a dream thread) is to incorporate a small touchscreen on the front of each of the MITX 'pods' in order to control some basic functions without needing a monitor. I'm tempted to use iPod Touch screens.

The rest of my design is going to be much more difficult to design and model, and time is going to be at a push as I'm moving house.

Unfortunately, one thing I can guarantee you is that this will not be built, could never afford this hardware, wish I could!

Last edited: 4 Mar 2009
  7. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

dullonien, autocad ? looking really nice btw :D

Scream, parallel projection ? are you crazy ?

HaoKi, i really like the Eutanasia, looks even better when it's built :)

8. dullonien

Yup, then ported into 3ds Max to apply materials (which don't look that great yet, the casing was meant to be brushed alu) and take the screenshot.

I'm basically going to carry on building a case around the components, see how small I can make it and if an interesting shape and design develops :idea:

Edit: Here's an updated capture with all four MITX systems.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Mar 2009
  9. Cheapskate

@Dullonien - Neat concept.:D If you invert two fins on the bottom of each rig from 'innie' to 'outie', the pods would be stackable.
    There's a free .dxf exporter for SU out there on the internet somewhere.

@Dark - Where the heck are your updates?!

10. Dark~3nergy

Cheapskate, i don't have any :( rl has been a pita the last weeks and I haven't been able to do any modeling and I was reaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy out of inspiration, but it's better now, I might start modeling again on sunday ;)

11. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

here's a couple updates from me!
    finished the larger system power routing :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

that was incredibly tedious (remember that you can't 'push/pull' curved surfaces :/

12. Scream

Scream Dr. Octagonapus

What?

13. Dark~3nergy

sry, didn't want to sound offensive :( i meant that you should use perspectiv instead of parallel project.

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I need a new desktop, can I order this one built and have it here by Monday? :D

[​IMG]

15. stuartwood89

Did a little more work on my entry. Revised the side panel a little, still needs some finishing touches for it though (mesh in the bottom hole for HDD/PSU ventilation and black tinted acrylic for the top portion. I still haven't done anything to the front panel yet.

[​IMG]

I'v also flipped the colour scheme, so now it's black with silver accents. Looks a lot classier in my opinion, but I may change it again later.

[​IMG]

I also realised that with all of the exhaust fans in my machine, there's nothing to actually get air in there in the first place. I couldn't think of a decent way to mount the 120mm fans on the rig, but I came up with this bracket that screws to the inside of the 5.25" drive cage, and is removable if necessary. It also allows drives to be mounted in between the screw positions if needbe.

[​IMG]

16. dullonien

The material used on the casing is going to change on mine. My idea is a frosted acrylic shell with bands of wood with small gaps between covering the acrylic. Lighting the acrylic should then create a nice effect.

I'm not sure if I'll get this finished by the deadline unfortunately. My next 10 days will be taken up by a 2000 word essay on Futurism, De Stijl & Bauhaus and the fist part of my final year one architecture project - site analysis. Then from the 17th - 22nd I've got a trip to Basel and Paris. Finally, I've got the second part of my final project due at the end of March - design development, meaning the last week will be taken up by that.

I'll finish it in a seperate thread if I don't get it done. I'll try my hardest.

17. Cheapskate

A good solution there, Stuart.:D We also would have accepted long intake pipes designed to whistle.:hehe:

Now that I think about it... You need to add an offset bend in the fan bracket. It's impossible to pull drives from the back with the fans in place.

@Dullonien - Say no more. 1st year architecture is designed to weed out the weak. It's not about talent or brains that early on. It's about survival, sleep deprivation, and sacks of cash for modeling.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009
  18. stuartwood89

The front panel is removable, just as easily as the side panels are. So drives would be mounted from the front, and in reality the drives could be mounted from behind forst, then the bracked can go on after. The case has been designed so that the whole watercooling loop can be removed if desired, and drives/fans can go where the radiator was, eliminating the need for the side intakes altogether.

19. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

on a side note, i have fun telling people I'm taking part in an international (3d) design competition :)
    edit: i must be tired or something, i just put rubber (sound deadening) mounts on a couple of ssd drives :s.. oh well it looks cool

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009
  20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

@ Bill] Crikey only just read this I better get cracking lol :worried:

@ Confusis] Damn I love your design man :thumb: would look so damn cool sitting under my TV in the living room... hey its euro millions tonight so maybe a commission is in order if I walk away with the £85,000,000!