1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows So I missed the last 4 years of PC gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chambochae, 5 Mar 2009.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

why has F.E.A.R not made the list?

2. Overlord

Overlord What's a Dremel?

Call of Duty 2.

Probably the peak in the CoD series for MP before they started adding those ****ing perks. And you can 'feel' the weapon unlike CoD 4,5.......

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

actually I think it got better compared to the early 2000's but of course, it's just a matter of opinion

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

because its being shadowed by the **** aftertaste of F.E.A.R. 2

I agree tho, the original was superb.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm slowly playing through fear 2. I like it so far.

6. Seraphim2150

Seraphim2150 Non-Modder

May I reccomend Company of Heroes for RTS? One of the best i've ever played

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

FPS:
    Orange Box
    L4D
    Crysis (+warhead) (still the best looking game out imo)
    CoD4
    FEAR+FEAR2
    Stalker ( +clear sky if you enjoy the first)
    BioShock
    TF2 (if you like mp)
    Quake 4 (this is just inside the 4 years still i think)

RTS:
    World in Conflict
    DoW2
    RA3

Misc:
    Trials2 (i think for gameplay time per £ this is the best game i've ever bought)
    Penny Arcade game
    Fallout 3 (worth a play just for squishing people's heads with a sledgehammer)
    World of Goo
    Defcon
    Audiosurf
    Defense Grid: The Awakening

most of these can be picked up on steam for peanuts now

8. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Half-Life 2, Episode 1 & 2
    Bioshock
    Fallout 3
    Portal
    Audiosurf
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Call of Duty 5
    Mass Effect
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Fear 2
    Dawn of War 2

PC Gaming is not dead, anyone who says it is just can't face that the games they like died out long ago.

9. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You guys are really good at sarcasm\

That was sarcasm, did you catch it?

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I completely agree because i am one of those people. I believe we are partially right however because there are some kind of games that died completely. There are no games comparable to UT these days (please don't tell me Quake Live is the replacement) just like there are no games at the level of Monkey Island, right joe ?

2004 and after are the years of the MMORPG players. If you don't like this kind of gameplay then the list of game that might interest you is way shorter than it should IMO

With that said though, there are some good games that really interest me atm (I am about 8 months late however.I need to catch up)

sarcasm is usually used in a situation in which it is pretty obvious but in this case, since so many people actually think what you said, it was kind of hard to tell tbh :)

11. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Very interesting thread as the last game I played WAS HL2 - since then bad health has meant i've been unable to game. Think i've finally sussed out health problems and hope to be gaming again soon. Surprised at Orange box listing as I just thought it was HL2 in a repackaging attempt' I did finish lost coast & attempted the part one of HL2 & realised I just couldn't play games anymore. But looks like I've got some good games to look forward too. Will mean a new pc as my dell optiplex not a 3-d thing :)

12. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Maybe your sarcasm was just too good? :rolleyes: :)

13. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Pfft, you have Half Life 2, so you have Counter Strike, what else do you want? :D

14. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

+1 to the Orange Box and L4D

15. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Competent enough list so far, but why do I not see Lego Star Wars II on here anywhere?

- Diosjenin -

16. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Seriously dude, Race 07 and GTR Evolution, if you've got a decent wheel (logitec G25) then these are where racing's at.

GRiD is fun but very arcadey and the physics are somewhat lacking, it's probably ok if you've got an Xbox360 controller or something but if you're serious about racing then you'll find GRiD to be a very shallow racer.

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

75% off this on steam until 11pm tonight (I bought it last night for £4.95).

DOW 2 is really good too.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im not really into simulation at all, i used to love arcade styled racing games such as NFS seris, but ever since GRiD, NFS Undercover and Burnout seems too easy.

Grid has the perfect balance between fun and frustration, that's why it's so great. Undercover and Paradise seems too easy, thus not fun

19. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I won't agree that PC gaming has completely died because it's not like console gaming interests me. However I have to say the standard of games has definitely gone down. I can barely find a game I can paly with interest. The last one was HL2 and before that Deus Ex...

20. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Why not go into the past and try Natural Selection. NS2 is in the works but for those of you that have not played it Natural Selection is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played. It is a multilayer only game just like CS and also like CS is just a mod of HL. Being a mod for HL you only need HL1 to play the game! NS2 will have its own engine and will cost money, but I would gladly pay even $100 for that game!

As for recent games I would start by finishing up the HL series as far as it is gotten so far and then play though portal. If you like portal there is a free mod called portal prelude that is pretty good. Next I would move to Bioshock, I got it for $5 on sale and it is very fun. I am just drawn into the story and the atmosphere of the game. If your into rts you should try out sins, I have always wanted an awesome space rts and this game brought it, the expansion recently came out as well. If you are into small fun games try audio surf, it is fun and a different type of gaming experience. I do not know when the last time you played CS:S was but there has been a lot of changes as far as mods go. There is now quite a few different types of mod servers to play on offering a variety of games in one package and load screen!