1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Tom Clancy's HAWX Hands-On Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Sounds like they were trying to buy your affection with stupidly a over-the-top and completely un-recreatable set up. Or maybe I'm just in a cyncial mood today. Hmph.

3. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Dunno, I couldn't get the hang of the "off-mode" too well in the demo (ps3)

4. chambochae

chambochae What's a Dremel?

"woefully dire"

Stinging!! :D

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like it might be worth re-purchasing a force-feedback joystick and grabbing a copy of this. I do love a good flight sim.

It sounds to me like it's quite similar to the Ace Combat series - did anyone play the PSP one? That was a classic Arcade 'sim.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

time to get the x45 out of the attic

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the demo is fun, and pulling out physically impossible moves on F22 Raptor feels amazing.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i tried the demo.

fun. but i personally still prefer a little more simulation version... i was... well... am... a big fan of Jane's combat flight-sim series. it has all the intense action and dogfights, but also a full flight-sim that requires u to be able to FLY a plane. the whole 9 yard. not simply fight with it.

that'll weed out some.... people... from playing the game.

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

It is very much an ace-combat alike, and while this might hurt it on consoles, it might actually help it on PC, as there is no real equivalent (easy skill entry combat sim) on the market.

those of us who still play flight sims to the exclusion of most other games still have a thriving community, and plenty of more recent games to choose from if you know where to look.

that said, I played the demo and while the game is arcadey, it never really over-does it. the story will be cookie cutter, but I wouldn't expect less (its a clancy game, and how original can briefings and the story actually get without being utterly ridiculous?) overall the flight dynamics are decent, though the OFF mode 'physics' make me cringe somewhat. (you can never turn an airplane over while staying in lateral movement, the wings would rip off and the pilot would die from G-load)

I plan on getting this simply because its very well done from a gameplay perspective, and should be good fun for multiplayer.

10. Krikkit

I suspect it rather depends on the speed at which you attempt it, because no manoeuvre done at sensible speeds will kill you. :p

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

Joe did they fix the terribad camera in assist-off mode for the final?
    if not can you like, rage at ubi until they do or something :p

also dont know if its the demo or something else but the dx10 tab was always greyed out for me :\
    vista64 + 4870

i dont know if its the game or vista or because my joystick is too old but i dont get any FF on my MS Sidewinder FF2 :(

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

After getting used to the off mode, I found the demo incredibly enjoyable. It was a blast. And I thought the 3rd person camera was awesome. It made selecting priority targets a nightmare, but for when it is just you and a load of fighters, it works perfectly. It follows from behind when you are chasing someone, and looks back at you when someone is following you. Pull off a Cobra, and you get to see the camera follow the other fighter as he zoomz past you and the camera swings around, and then you get to hear that lovely lock on sound before you blow them out of the sky. I think it is very well done.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can this kill the pilot??

supersonic -> 180 turn -> supersonic -> 180 turn ->supersonic

[​IMG]

for Dx10, you have to launch the Dx10 EXE.

14. Krikkit

Again, it all depends on how quickly you do it and how tight you turn - do it over a space of 20 minutes, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. :)

15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I have my reservations about HAWX. I've been a longtime fan of Ace Combat so I need more than Tom Clancy's name on the cover to convince me that this game might have as good, if not better soundtrack and storyline than Ace Combat has delivered for sometime now.

16. Bluephoenix

try doing that over a space of 20 minutes, the airplane would fall out of the sky or crash. or simply stop due to lack of forward momentum.

the sudden acceleration would certainly kill the pilot, the human body can only withstand 12g of sustained force, and only about 50g of instantaneous acceleration before severe injuries/death occur.

the F22 already has the capability to kill its pilot with violent maneuvering, only the flight computers stop that from happening, and also stops the high-g turns that would rip the wings off. (vectored thrust theoretically gives possible G loads of +15 g in a vectored turn, the F22 is said to have a G limit of only +13/-5g)

all loads from gravity and momentum aside, if you turn the airplane into a giant airbrake at 0.88mach, bits will fly off, I guarantee it.

17. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Reminds me of Strike Commander :)

18. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

While i love this game I've completed it in 2 days only crashing/dying 4 times! Not exactly the hardest game in the world but incredibly good fun.

PS3 makes it look lovely on a big screen too. Love flying through the skyscrapers.

19. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yes but, ITS THE FUTURE! :p

20. Bluephoenix

not even the future can violate basic physics and aerodynamics.

Tags: Add Tags