1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CryTek announces new CryEngine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Crytek always position themselves as being the forefront of graphical engines, and whilst CryEngine 2 is very pretty indeed, they didn't exactly manage it whilst keeping it smooth on most computers. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other people in the world who could develop an equally stunning engine as well if they had as little regard for actual consumer hardware as Crytek have.

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

DICE and Rockstar are the only challengers to Crytek. I think it will be hard for someone to out match a company that specializes in large visually stunning open battlefields. Also it's amazing that a young and small company can create such power. They've only made 3 titles and everyone knows their name. I can't wait to see what they create next!!!

4. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Heard of Epic?

5. UrbanMarine

Forgot about UT. The Unreal Engine is used heavily but doesn't make me all excited in my pants. I think the IF "Warfare Engine" is a better engine but it's younger.

If we want real world environments, Crytek so far is the answer.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2009
  6. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Well said

7. Nictgsf

Nictgsf What's a Dremel?

I agree that Crytek may of disregarded current consumer harder in the implementation of CryEngine2, but one thing is for sure, until an engine comes along to push consumer hardware even further I will not have a reason to upgrade from my 8800GTS 512 which plays 90% of games at 1920x1080 at full settings. Nvidia and AMD need new innovations in engines to push their hardware sales. At the end of the day most readers of this site are enthusiasts, Crysis was one of the main reasons I built my current rig, and I'm sure that was the case for a lot of other readers of this website

8. Nictgsf

Nictgsf What's a Dremel?

I agree that Crytek may of disregarded current consumer harder in the implementation of CryEngine2, but one thing is for sure, until an engine comes along to push consumer hardware even further I will not have a reason to upgrade from my 8800GTS 512 which plays 90% of games at 1920x1080 at full settings. Nvidia and AMD need new innovations in engines to push their hardware sales. At the end of the day most readers of this site are enthusiasts, Crysis was one of the main reasons I built my current rig, and I'm sure that was the case for a lot of other readers of this website[/QUOTE]

*hardware.....not 'harder' apologies been a long morning

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i hope by scale, they mean they will continue to push the boundary on PC while scaling back on consoles.

10. UrbanMarine

For gamers Crysis is like a playable 3DMark :) It's BTs game of choice IMO for testing out hardware.

@ Wuyanxu: The new engine in theory is going to look like the CryEngine 2 but runs like the Dunia engine.

I just hope their next title gets rid of the Super Suit. I kind of wish they'd do a modern war type game. ex. Snipers could actually be snipers with a open area and lots of hiding spots (no cloak).

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Give those boys a cigar and a case of french wine!! Awesome.

12. DbD

DbD Minimodder

What's exciting about the crytek engine is it might allow for better graphics on the PC. The consoles are pretty maxed out - the unreal engine 3 is very efficient on all of them - however modern PC graphics cards are barely used. The problem is other then higher res, and higher quality textures PC versions still use the same standard crossplatform DX9 engine.

If crytek can provide something of UE3 quality for the consoles which has the ability to easily add a whole pile of extra DX10 niceness for the PC then that would be great :)

13. UrbanMarine

The CE2 engine has been worked out for consoles. It's the Dunia Engine which was built for Far Cry 2 and it uses CryPhysics (no Havok or Ageia). It's new so not many devs have started to use it.

One problem is companies are still living in the DX9 age and that gives people the excuse not to upgrade. If they keep recycling old technology with a new shinny box, gaming will continue to advance slowly. All this fancy hardware and the devs take the easy route.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  14. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Cry 2 engine was a bit dissapointing. Netcode was awfull. Fingers crossed this will be better!

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i really hope they can make it better and more demanding than CryEngine 2. (yes, i said more demanding)

think about it, by the time next Cry-game comes out, Dx11 would be norm. so still using Dx10 graphics rendering technology and look like CryEngine 2, it will mean they hasn't done any improvement. in fact, if it will look and no more demanding than CryEngine 2, we can safely say the whole point of CryEngine 3 is for the consoles. :sigh:

CryTek should be pushing the boundary, CryEngine 1 was, CryEngine 2 was (it's not a benchmark now, even a £150 GTX260 can play it smoothly) and CryEngine 3 should be.

16. UrbanMarine

True. i7s will be dime a dozen, 4870x2s will be dated by 5000 series or whatever. Just think 5-10yrs from now this same conversation will come up again too. Crysis 5 is too much of a system hog, the graphics are not that great, Windows 360 uses 6gbs of ram wtf? blah blah.

17. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Interesting.

Well im wondering how they could be developing for the next next gen when they havnt even been announced? Who is to say it will run well on the hardward even?

Crysis was good but nothing utterly inspiring as I was lead to beleive.

Multiplayer wasnt great, it was a solid experience (which many shooters cant even manage) but I didnt think too much of it.

I am certainly glad to hear them looking to push the boundaries in the console department too, I hope gears of war improve their unreal engine because right now its beginning to show its age...

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The Unreal 3 engine is a bit of a funny one, it looks gorgeous and has powered some epic (heh) games, but it doesn't demand much. I can run most U3 games on my old x1900xt rig without much trouble, whereas Oblivion, Crysis and Far Cry 2 all make it weep.
    I don't know where the U3 engine scavenges so much versatility from, but Rockstar (who I saw mentioned further up) could learn a lot from it. I'm still absolutely incensed at how clunky, unoptimised and disappointing GTA4 is on PC - and the antialiasing issue is just unforgivable.

19. UrbanMarine

One thing I hope they continue to add is weapon accessories without restrictions. Single and multiplayer.

20. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Hope they don't forget about us pc gamers!

CryENGINE 3 and ID Tech 5 on my most exciting engines list hahahaha

Tags: Add Tags