1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress BIO-MECHANICAL KHAOS: (thank you Nvidia & EVGA!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 22 Feb 2009.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

When I was working construction I worked in both cities. Not Minneapolis but Monticello North of Minneapolis at the nuklar reactor when it was being built. I lost 15 pounds that winter and didn't know it until I got back back to the warm. Electric plugins for car heaters, beer cans would freeze on bathroom window sills, snow up the wazoo(before Global warning). Cold. I like warm :rock:77F and 70% humidity is my living environment now.:clap::clap:

john

2. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

is this for a customer?

3. jhanlon303

I think it's probably for the vendor. Bill gets new stuff ahead of time and makes it 'better' for shows and such. If it's for a customer - the customer gave free reign to design. An admirable quality.

john

4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@ John, I hate the winters more and more each season. I do love the summer and fall tho. I love kicking back with a beer outside in the patio chair on August nights.

I orignally planned to pitch sale of the completed case to NZXT to use for trade show displays. They sent me this case to check out. They know people watch my projects, so it was a publicity move. You'll notice in the video on the first page of this thread that I dont exactly praise or trash the case. I'm not really suited for doing case reviews. I will say it again, the Khaos is extremely over priced at $430 :duh:

@ slisgrinder Mnpctech is a Mom & Pop online business. It's just me, the mrs, my machinst, steve and my painter, brad. Theres no employee postions like a "normal" company...sorry!

If you've ever examined giger's bio-mechincal art up close, especially his paintings.. everything is symmetrical, in one direction while every element of the design is different. Old circuitry is the only way I can describe it. My personal challenge with this project is that my brain likes to see everything symmetrical and matching. "Theres a notch on the left side, so there should be a notch on the right side" I have to force myself to stop thinking like this. However, I also think a lot of people neglect to see these details in his work and it doesn't matter as much I think it does.

giger's "New York VIII" painting

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Mar 2009
  5. tomcatt

tomcatt WoodWoodWood

nice work with the skull !! I realy like it :p - it does remind me of something :D

6. mnpctech

Thank you! I've started sculpting the insualtion foam for the bezel core. I'll be sculting the individual cubes along the sides today, I'm considering the idea of implemeting thread rod into the sides.

[​IMG]

7. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Has anyone else noticed this is a story of "Skully" and "Modder"? If this was and AlienWare PC the tale would be complete. :hehe:

Sorry Bill, couldn't resits. The project is looking good. Keep up the good work.

8. jhanlon303

Nothing better than starting the day with a BIG mess.
    I'm watching

john

9. mnpctech

Theres foam bits all over...haha!

Progress of sculpting the foam core for the new bezel. More to come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I know exactly what you mean. I am the same way and it's extremely hard to stop myself.

11. mnpctech

It's the way we're wired. If I didn't follow my gut instinct, I'd probally hate the results anyway :D

12. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

i werry like this caos-bio look i love crazy costum cases!
    totaly awsome!

13. Brian E. Hanson

Brian E. Hanson What's a Dremel?

I think, the greatest attribute of Bill is that he lets his own personality transcend through his work. In my world, most people do what they think they need to or what's expected, so that people will like what they've done. Bill, does what he likes and what he feels works for him and as a result, he's made countless literal works of mod(ern) art. :rock:

14. mnpctech

Thank you Bro :blush: :thumb:

15. mnpctech

I inserted 2, 1/4" threaded steel rods today in each side of the bezel. I also did some changes on
    the top section to expose the plastic loom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mnpctech

Some visuals to inspire from the workbench, GIGER's soft cover book, behind the making of original ALIEN movie
    [​IMG]

My friends in Europe will recognize this, it's a universal euro license mounting plate.
    The recessed features and fastener holes play the part in my theme.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Applying Evercoat Everglass fiberglass filler
    [​IMG]

I've cut portions of the license mounting plate to fit the sides of my bezel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mnpctech

Whats that Green frosting? lol!

This is the body filler I use for all of my case mod projects. "Evercoat" fiberglass body filler, short strand reinforced with Kevlar. It dries quick! Less than 30 mins. It's stronger than Bondo, it applies smoother than Bondo and also doesn't shrink as it cures.

Manufacturer's description
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Absolutely awesome use of unusual materials! (the license plate frame0

19. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Agreed! Outstanding resourcing Bill!

20. mnpctech

Thanks guys! :D:D

I haven't had a chance to work on Khaos today. I installed a window in a coolermaster 840 and triple rad grill in another local customer's lianli v2010. I also need to update Slaymate on airbrushed mural. At least the economy hasn't effected some pc enthusiast's wallets. ...yet, (knock on wood) :D