1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Some Things Microsoft Can't Fix in Windows 7: Catch 22

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Mar 2009.

1. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

you can solve this messenger thing by installing the older msn messenger 8.5 or somewhere around there. Apparently the new "staying at the taskbar" is only for the newest and totally hopeless version.

For a 2009 OS, I don't think win7 is very powerful. Theres no "multiple desctops", or anything resembling the MacOS's utillisation of the function-keys, f12 to "show desctop", pressing f11 or whatnot to get a collection of gadgets, like calendar, calculator, clock etc on a shaded screen. that is probably where ms-gadges come from in the first place. All inn all it is just a tweaked windows XP with glass-skin, wich modders have had for 9 years or so. And where is the DreamScene? This is the Ultimate version, so have they removed it? DreamScene was useless, but extremely blingy and everyone was mesmerized by it :)

What windows 7 _does_ right is handling of the windows themself, dragging windows to maximize, snapping them with a drag or doubleclick, both up and down snapping... I can't go back now !

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The point is, the Office 2007 menu is a radical change from earlier versions and it's unlike all other Win software menus I've seen. If you've come up through the versions then it takes a long time to fathom out what were once simple operations. Time's money, and I've seen no evidence the ribbon is actually more logical and intuitive.

Throwing features away because they're "old" is a trendy too far. :nono:

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Windows 7 is Vista, not XP..

Also.. look up keyboard shortcuts for Windows7, you'll find there's a boatload of them.

Mind you, it's also a Beta, so they didn't add everything :rolleyes:

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

cpemma, I must disagree with you.
    I am able to work better and faster with Office 2007, and I found out A LOT of features that I did not know that existed in previous version of Word/Excel which simplified my life greatly and able to offer a more professional looking work.

I guess it comes down to the point where we all think differently.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with Goodbytes on this, I'm finding it much easier and faster to use Office 07 than previous versions.

I also have not seen anything that I couldn't do in 2007 that I can in 2003, as far as I can tell, there's no loss of functionality.

6. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

what does really Vista have that XP don't? i see them as the same, from a non-technical view atleast. I will look up the shortcuts to win7. Might be some useful ones.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Direct X 10

Better wireless compatability and networking (even though the options are positioned worse)

Better hardware support for more recent kit

8. GoodBytes

Here are some few things:
    - Instant search
    - Instant search bar on every window + Start menu
    - Organized Folder structure for users and programmers (so more 20 'Local App', for example)).
    - Easy access folder and custimizable on every folders
    - New Save/Open dialog box, with folder like vire and address bar (just type in (or paste) the path and you are there.. no more 20 mouse clicks because the dialog boxed started at the other side of your HDD (you know what I mean).
    - Aero, uses GPU instead of CPU... meaning more responsive
    - More responsive OS thanks to it's greatly improved memory management (That is why it takes more RAM), meaning you work faster. No wait of the OS time. When when your account is loading you can still use the computer and navigate... no waiting until everything loads up.
    - Faster setup time. No optimization needs to be done... so need to disable servcies to have a faster system and such as Vista has a better memory management.
    - 20-25min Install time (XP make take a full day especially if you don't have XP SP2 disk...
    soooooo many update) Great for IT
    - Fast system detection for Windows update, great for IT.
    - Win key + type teh first letters of your program and Enter to run it. No more Start bar navigation
    - Win key + # to launch the application on the quick launch bar
    - Better organized Control Panel
    - Easy access Wireless Network Connections
    - SuperFetch, run application easily 2 to 6 times faster than it did on XP.
    - Alt+Tab... no more icons and yuou have to guess... you actually see the application LIVE (no pictures)
    - Staskbar thumnail, LIVE preview of the application, minimized or not.
    - Flip 3D (Win+Tab) for a larger view alt tab
    - Improved Power management profile
    - Support the latest technology without any issues (great for IT)
    - Way more secure.
    - Go back in time on a file, folder, driver or even the whole computer.
    - System image backup to USB flash stick, Network, external HDD on firewire, USB and eSATA, CD's, and DVD's.
    - System backup system to restore your computer in case of anything, with the same mediums as above
    - Side scrolling on mouse supported on the OS.
    - Game folder for easy access of games.
    - Windows Experience Index... can see what needs to be upgraded and compare performance at a quick glance without any technical details for the average user. Also, helps them see if the computer will meat their needs at a glance without looking at details.
    - Drivers crash does not cause BSOD's... it just restarts automatically. This saves yourself from data lose of unsaved work.
    - Increase stability for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions
    - Proper 64-bit OS with complete 32-bit compatibility (basically 2 OS in one.. so applications cannot miss anything... you literary have a fusion of 32 and 64-bit OS into one... just no 32-bit driver support, but does support XP 64-bit drivers)
    - Real solid Firewall with outbound and inbound control packed with networking profiles (So you can do stuff like "Don't access internet when I am at school") and per network card.
    - Real translation for compatibility mode, not the empty crap from XP.
    - Full easy to understand and navigate help documentation with even diagram and a real smart search system I find.

Do you want me the continue? 'cause I have more...

9. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I disagree with that statement.

I've used both, took classes for both. The ribbon works if you know how to use it. :idea:

Also, what features have been thrown out exactly?

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The Windows standard menu system. You know, that thing that makes virtually all Windows programs familiar - File, Edit, View, etc. along the top.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2009
  11. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Bindibadgi
    DX10 never did any good, and wireless (everyting) is much worse on Vista, again from the newbies point of view. But of course Vista and W7 is a lot more capable if you give them hardware to work with.

GoodBytes:
    Wow that is some list. Lots of stuff i never noticed.
    - System image backup to USB flash stick, Network, external HDD on firewire, USB and eSATA, CD's, and DVD's. This is something i havent seen, but sounds useful, does it preserve program files on other partitions aswell? If so i can make a full 100GB backup of my entire system and be up and running in the time it takes to transfer those files. And yes the memory is handeled better, with photoshop being a prime example, wich used to take ages to launch, but now i have seen it start up as fast as my browser in days i have used it a lot.

I still stand by my word though, for the untrained eye it just looks glossier, and working with normal stuff is excactly the same, but thats not a bad thing, it's not Mac after all, so no awkwardeness. The difference between Xp and Vista is really not that big usage-vise, and the same thing can be said with Vista vs 7, but Xp vs 7 ok that is a little bit of change and people will have to get used to the new taskbar.

12. E7130

E7130 Shinju

Its not that they're more open to change, it is that they are used to a company telling them what is good for them.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wireless is BETTER from a newbies point of view - the icon is there, click it, connect to network. You cant possibly get ANY EASIER.

DX10 offers a whole wealth of graphical extra's and a far better foundation than DX9, it's just most of the market is still using DX9 cards.

14. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Sorry but i can't agree with this even if I might be wrong... I have never seen so many people having trouble with wireless setups as with vista, and I'm talking when you have to manually add encryption codes etc. The menus are a total mess and just finding the "local area connection" icon is a hassle, even for me.

And no, I can't agree with the dx10 one either. It might have been good for developers, but for us gamers it just cut the fps in half for no real benefit. In Stalker there was one neat water-effect, but i didn't use it because of the terrible fps in dx10.

15. GoodBytes

@stoff3r, I must completly disagree with you.
    Each version of windows, since Windows 2000, the wireless connection gets better and better. There is no mess at all. in WIndows 7 you click and connect. There is a password you put it in. and if connection is successful the password is remembered. Simple!

In XP, the big mess is that you don't have a nice interface to manage the password.. it's hidden within other panels, and for stupid reason you need to type the password 2 times?! How ridiculous is that! What happen if you have a really long password on your wireless... it's just plain stupid!

You cannot say what you said on Direct X10 and even DX11.
    1- Your video card sucks. The SAME THING was with Direct X9. And the same will happen with Direct X11 in Windows 7.
    2- The games today that uses Direct X10 are soooooooo not optimize. They developers just put that in, just for fun and experiment. Nothing is serious in it, nothing optimized, as the DX10 market is small (also it's for marketing reasons).
    The day you will a game 100% made in Direct X10... done with a passion, then it run pretty damn well, and the effects will be much better over Direct X9. You have to be patient. It took how much time to have Direct X9... yea about the last 4-5 years (which is not much considering that Vista was out 3 years ago, and that Direct X9 was out in December 2002 (so you can even say 2003)) we were starting to see real Direct X9 games. The rest was Direct 8, or Direct X9 with gimmicky effects (like now with Direct X10).

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That wasn't DX10 - that was Stalker. There was a reason why we gave the first release 4/10.

17. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

ftfy

18. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

1. I try to allways have the best, or one of the best, graphics cards available.
    2. Ok so i meant what i said to all the games up and till now. I guess there will come something by that actually works soon. DX11 sounds promising with support for dx9 cards and more optimizing.

I'll have to try stalker again now that I mention it, it could work :S

Tags: Add Tags