1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mineral Oil PC - 3/24/2011 - More leaks :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman666, 29 Jan 2009.

1. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

Nice work with the fittings. Can't wait to see the tank put together

2. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Even if my vocabulary in english is poor, you've understand well my ideas...
    Using some pistons will be really cool, mate!
    The lcd tank was one of my esrly question, and it's fantastic!
    Now I must go back to see the specs for the lcd, maybe I need one :)

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If done right, the weld-on should be plenty. I would have skipped the silicone and maybe went with #16 weld-on gel for any leaky spots. You can add #16 to the seams and soften it with the watery stuff too. That makes a perfect seam every time.

What I said about the hinges earlier was cr*p. I didn't go back and look at the pic.:D You have to get them even with the sheet metal lip to get them to work right. I'm betting you know that, so I'll shut up.:hehe:

4. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I agree with you about the weld on. I looked closely at the joint as it was my first time using the stuff and I could not find a single spot where it looked like the oil might seep through. But I wanted to be 100% certain, so I sealed the corners with silicone. I had the silicone on hand anyway and I want to use it before it goes bad.

Lol, don't worry about the hinges, it's hard to make out from the pic what I mean.

Your english is fine ;) I understand what you mean just fine even if you don't know the specific word you're looking for. About the LCD: I have no idea what model number or brand it is. I bought it used off another forum member here. I spent hours trying to look up information on it. The little I know about it is from experimenting with it. Wiring up the power was simple, but figuring out the VGA was a pain in the neck. It looks like there are headers for composite and s-video as well. It has a 640x480 resolution which is nice and crisp, but the colors are kind of meh.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have some pics later tonight.

Thanks wulf.

Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint.

5. legoman666

Made the tank!

So the plan today was to get the tank done. To accomplish that, I had to prepare the side panels. Yesterday I made the "tank" for the LCD. I had just one thing left to do today before gluing it all together.

[​IMG]
    The left side panel needed to have the drawer slides attached to it.

[​IMG]
    I cut these strips of acrylic a while ago. The holes are already drilled. Gluing stuff with the Weld-On is really easy; just clamp the two surfaces together....

[​IMG]
    ...And apply the glue with a syringe or similar to the joints. It seeps into the tiny spaces between the two pieces of acrylic and dries in about 5-10 minutes.

[​IMG]
    Here it is glued on!

[​IMG]
    And then checking the fit in the case. Looks like it'll open just fine.

[​IMG]
    After my experience with the LCD tank and the strips, it was time to glue the tank together. Clamps = win.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    About 25 minutes later, it's already dry. I didn't put any silicone in the joints yet. I'm not 100% certain that I'm going to.

[​IMG]
    And then dropped it into the frame. It fits!

[​IMG]
    The lid is a little difficult to close though. I'll see what I can do about that.

[​IMG]
    The lid above the LCD is slightly crooked. The lid closes too far; easily fixed.

[​IMG]
    Close up of the rear of one of the drawer slides. The bubbles are where there isn't glue.

[​IMG]
    The back.

That's it for today! Comments?

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

In one of the pics the top looks a bit crooked? is it just not on right in that pic?

7. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

It's right in his post... he said it's easily fixed.

Great work legoman

8. Stormwulf

Stormwulf A mod to far?

Looks freaking awesome, you :rock: :D

Looks like perfect clearance for the mobo slides too where the lid is concerned.

Great job mate :clap:

9. legoman666

Thanks ;) The next step is to create the motherboard/PSU mount. I really wish I had an extra mobo for this so I can be sure of the spacing.

Indeed, if you read the caption on the pic, you will see that....

... I did mention it :read:

Thanks Cheezeit!

10. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Fantastic work!
    And the weld on it's a good product, why they don't export to italy? Hell...

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

My mistake with a quick browse through, thanks for rubbing it in guys, really appreciate it.

12. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

nice case i waiting to see all in action keep it up man :thumb:

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Still looking great man! this has got to be one of my favourite current project logs.
    Keep it up :rock:

14. legoman666

Thanks, I try not to disappoint!

I bought my 4oz bottle on Ebay for about $14 including shipping. You could probably find something similar to Weld-On. The actual chemical doing the bonding is called Methyl Chloride. Try searching for that if you don't have any luck with Weld-On. I would describe Weld-On by saying Weld-On is to Methyl Chloride as Jello is to Gelatin. (If that helps).

Sorry, :blush:. I just thought it was ironic that the caption below the exact pic you were talking about mentioned my mistake.

Cheers!

15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I really must try that Weld-On one day, you get very good results. Those rails are for the mobo tray right?

16. legoman666

It's quite a nice product. Correct, the rails are for the mobo tray, which is next on my list of things to do. I need to scrounge up a spare mobo so I can make sure I get the spacing and such correct.

17. The boy 4rm oz

I am pretty sure there is a site that holds all the measurements and printable templates. I think it's something allong the lines of formfactors.com.

18. legoman666

Yea, I printed out a template a few days ago that has the spacing for the holes to mount the motherboard. My main concern is positioning the motherboard in the correct location on the tray so it lines up perfectly with the ATX back pane.

this thing:
    [​IMG]

19. The boy 4rm oz

Ah ok, good luck lol.

20. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I think that this is the only part of a conventional scratch build that really needs some accurate measurement.