1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New iPod Shuffle locks out third party headphones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I think the title is misleading actually. Do they really reject the headphones or is it that third part headphones are incompatible and require the inline controller which is why they get stuck at a specific volune (probably the last one you were using) and cant skip tracks because the buttons are simply not present anyway.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Oh for goodness sake, the first thing most folk people with any sense of sound do is plug decent phones into those things, the apple ones were rubbish last time i used an ipod (last year, brothers video one) but i can't see them sounding any better any time soon. Besides that they seem to be the worlds worst for tinny noise pollution on the bus, need legislation to force people to use closed cans in public :)

Edit: just read the article and can't see a picture of the remote but it doesn't sound like the in-line remote has a 3.5 jack as i imagined it would so yeah i think biosnipers right, its not that the ipod won't accept third party devices but that third party devices can't control the ipod.

'nother edit: just reread the article and yes the remote is hard wired to the cable. The controls for the ipod are part of the headphones thus why third party devices. Whether that vindicates them or not depends on your point of view i suppose.
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipod-shuffle-third-generation/P1

Last edited: 16 Mar 2009
  4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Step 1: Produce Shuffle with headphone chip
    Step 2 ???
    Step 3: PROFIT!

pimonserry likes this.
  6. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure they really reject them. It's just like with the iphone and it's accessories. You can't use a 3rd party AV cable for the iphone because it requires a chip to authenticate itself. Although now there is a software hack you can do if your iphones jailbroken, but that's beside the point.

I guess all this nonsense apples been doing is to keep prevent cheap knockoff accessories.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The new shuffle has a touch sensitive volume control on the earphone cable. The shuffle is a pretty niche market anyway, I wonder if there are any stats on how many previous gen shuffle users use third party earphones. I'm sure third party earphones will appear on the market, it's just new tech that nobody has had a chance to support yet.

I think this is a pretty biased article, bit-tech != Daily Mail.

Hiren likes this.
  8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My mother, the only person i know with one but she hated the apple ones she found them uncomfortable so she got a set of the rubbery sit in your ear canal ones that she prefers. Course the battery on her 2g one has gone and i was going to get her a 3g for her birthday but i'll not bother now. Only reason i care tbh.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This is just plain rubbish. Authentic hardware? What a load of rubbish!

10. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

What, is anyone actually surprised? This is Apple we're talking about here, milking idiots since 1976.

11. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Headphone FAIL

12. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

If it turns out to be true about the chip, then I hope the EU smacks Apple with a fine like they did to MS.

Putting an auth chip in is nothing short of trying to monoplise the headphone market for that device.

Kimbie

13. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Apple fails again

If you're buying an apple, you buy into the zombo.com way of life. Everything's there and don't go messing with it.
    Really now, how many real techies use an iPod? Everyone knows Cowon/Sony does 100x more for the same or a lesser price.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The EU might actually fine Apple... in 2020, judging by the speed they normally show.
    I think that's a pretty lame move by Apple but then again, I'm not too surprised. They're getting better with third party hardware support, very slowly and I think they should hurry.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

hacky hack hack, :dremel:

its all because of the built in remote.

Of course the best mod would be to cut the wire after the remote and solder in a 3.5mm inline jack, so the ear phones used can be switched out when needed, rather than destoying the cable.

i tend too break ear phones

16. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

iPod headphones suck arse, and Apple know that they can sell their overpriced silicone bud ones if they lock 3rd parties out, this is like microsoft not allowing 3rd parties to make wireless peripherals (knowing that their D-Pad is rubbish).

Really what have Apple got to lose they sell the iPod bundles with headphones, and the buyer chooses to upgrade, where is the issue?

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

£35 on replacement headphones when you eventually need a replacement set.

18. fodder

fodder Minimodder

No surprise here, except it's taken Apple this long to realise they are missing a quick buck.

I mean, come on, for years Apple has been engineering the need for 'proprietry' accessories into their units. Why change a successful marketing strategy?

19. markwalker84

markwalker84 What's a Dremel?

What a joke.

Apart from the (IMHO) obvious design flaw of having the ONLY controls in the headphone cable, locking out 3rd party headphones is just plain stupid! I know apple fanboys will hail it as the greatest idea ever but surely this is a step to far? Even the target "gym-goer" of the shuffle isnt going to be impressed with this i wouldn't have thought.

Sansa clip for me everytime!
    - Cheaper.
    - Use my own (decent) headphones.
    - Not really much bigger.
    - Doesn't have a stupid in-line remote that will bounce around and generally be annoying.
    - I dont have to learn eleventy billion combinations of button presses just to pause the damn thing.

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Exactly what I was thinking :hehe:

Tags: Add Tags