1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Toshiba TVs to boost YouTube quality

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, I think 720p on YT looks okay but the source files are so much better. It'll be very hard to upscale videos to 1080p properly after YT's codec raped them.

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Well... I love youtube.com... thats for sure :D

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

there is no 720p on youtube, the 'HD' videos on youtube are like 850x500 or something

5. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

This reminds me of sci-fi films & TV shows.

"Enhance!"

6. perplekks45

The source files definitely are 720p:

[​IMG]

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Don't like the direction Toshiba seem to be going with their TVs, what with the Cell processor TVs and now this. I think that all TVs should be like this one, which has no integrated tuner or anything as such. 'How' I want to put content on my television should be up to me, and the only thing a TV should have to be worried about is displaying that content as best as possible.

With things like Cell processor being used in TVs, I would prefer it if things like that were rather done externally in the box that's hooked up to the TV.

8. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

I've yet to work out how upscaling improves quality...

If the information's not there in the first place, how does the tv know what the original recording is missing? Does it randomly add split ends to hairs or freckles on faces?

I agree that you can use different scalers, maybe blur out some compression 'boxes' and whatever, but that can't truely improve the quality. Surely if something's filmed at 480i, even if you play it at 1080p it's still the same rubbishy picture, just bigger?

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

why do they stream a 1280x720 video into a 850x500 flash player :hehe:
    thats retarded :p

10. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

Agreed and I thought the same thing. Honestly, unless IQ is improved somehow, it's even worse when upscaled for a bigger screen(resolution, actually). Like watching a low-res documentary online. With 800x600 res, hit fullscreen and it's not too bad, but use 1280x960 res then hit full screen, and it's crap. That's an example.

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

In other words:

Toshiba is about to launch a product that will make it even easier to hit the limit where throttling kicks in:D

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I've been trying to convince someone I know that his 'upscaling' 1080p DVD player is no better than my $25 DVD player, he maintains that his is HD.. :-0

Upscaling can't really improve the quality, maybe it uses a better algorithm to stretch than your media player would, but who knows.

13. Major

Major Guest

Well, the only upscaling I have tried is on my Rambo 4 DVD on the PS3, and the difference was huge.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

because they have a fullscreen button.

15. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

And the down scaling makes it look sharp. And hides all the bitrate starved artifacts.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Ther is definitely a visible difference between a cheap upscaling device (as is usually built into every HD- and HD-ready TV) and a premium upscaling device as in some blu-ray/DVD-players or digital-receivers.

IF toshiba can generally improve the quality of the buit-in upscaling device, I suppose this is a good thing.

99% of the TV-content in my country is still PAL...makes most HD/HD-ready TV's look like crap.

...so good upscaling is a must.

17. perplekks45

There were a lot of rumours about 720p being the most likely format to be used in Europe wheareas the US would have 1080p as standard format.
    Except for gaming what other use do we have for 1080p? Are all new BD movies 1080p by now?

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Both are sold here
    720 as "HD-Ready"
    1080 as "Full-HD"

TV-is still sending in PAL 99% of the time, some movies are in 720, there's a few digital chanels in full-HD.
    Pay-TV is partially available in both formats though.

So when you're NOT watching a movie or a special interest channel, you're watching something upscaled.

19. perplekks45

I know, I am German. :)

It's not too different here in the UK though. Except for some shows [football is where I notice it the most] there is no HD, at least not for us people without Sky+HD...

Tags: Add Tags