1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mineral Oil PC - 3/24/2011 - More leaks :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman666, 29 Jan 2009.

1. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Yes!
    Finally the water test is coming, and it's ok!
    I'm really happy to see that everything is ok!

2. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

Sry didn't know that cause the one in picture I saw has a thread.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for no leaks.

3. Ashaman

Ashaman M'hael

I've been following this log a long time now. And I get more and more impressed each time you post a new update! This mod is just insane, thats all I can say!

How much pressure will there be in that tank when it's full?
    I'm very impressed that it's still one piece when it's just glued/welded together, with no screws.
    Weld-on has to be some seriously strong stuff!
    Too bad hazardius liquids isn't allowed to be shipped overseas....
    Can't find anyone that sells something like it in Europe either.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Ashaman - Google 'plexiglas solvent/glue' :D

Are you getting any warping along the top edge with the tank filled? It would be a good idea to add a plate or thin L to the top edges.

5. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Thanks! I'll leak test for about a week before I'm satisfied.

It's all good, I neglected to mention it in my log. Thanks ;)

Thanks for being a loyal reader! Do you mean air pressure or "water" pressure at the bottom of the tank? If you meant air pressure, the answer is none as it won't be sealed airtight. If you meant "water" pressure at the bottom of the tank, the answer is .35PSI to .38PSI. Increase it a little for the PSI in the radiators, since they are below the tank.

I actually bowed the plexiglass on the right side inward to counteract the water pressure. See pic:

[​IMG]
    With the tank empty.

[​IMG]
    And then with the tank filled, it is still bowed.

What do you think? The other side is damn sturdy stuff; it's 3/8" thick as opposed to the rest of the tank which is 1/4".

Last edited: 21 Mar 2009
  6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Impressive! Good to see it seems to hold it all in with no issues, but why didn't you just do the whole thing in thicker materials? :lol:

7. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Just a question, Legoman :)
    My wife and I are bettin for the whole weight of the case without hardware, only the chassis and the oil, can you tell us the approximate weight?

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Probably about 8-10 ltrs of mineral oil there, thats quite alot of pressure for the acrylic. Acrylic will expand quite a bit due to heat so it will be interesting to see how it fairs in the long run or when exposed to various temperatures.

9. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Amazing.How did you bowed the plexiglass?

10. legoman666

Thanks! The reason I went with mostly 1/4" is because there was quite a price jump from 1/4" to 3/8". Plus it's 50% heavier. The back side is 3/8" so I could put a few screws partially through it.

I just put it on a scale: its current weight is 39.5lbs or 17.9kg. That's with no water, no computer, and not 100% done. It's only going to get heavier.:hehe:

I estimated the pressure at the bottom of the tank earlier: 0.35PSI to 0.38PSI. As for thermal expansion, the thermal expansion coefficient of acrylic is .000038 to .000041 inches/inch/F. The acrylic is 18.5" long at it's longest point. For the calculation I will I assume room temp is 80F (reasonable for summer months here) and the oil rises to 115F -> 35F rise. I don't know if this reasonable or not.

0.000041 x 18.5 x 35 = 0.026 inch expansion, or 1mm.

Thanks! Clamps, sir.

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone! Keep the questions coming.

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thats an ungodly amount of maths :p I havent had any 6mm acrylic crack on me yet so im sure that it should be okay.

I want your clamps.

12. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Great mod mate, looks really professional too. Agree with djayness- I want your clamps too.. in fact you have just motivated me to go out a buy some!

13. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

You can never have too many clamps.

14. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon What's a Dremel?

the level of a workshop can be measured with the number of clamps it has :D:lol:

15. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Tnx a lot, Legoman, I suppose that the whole structure will be near 20/25 kilos, and my wife tell about 10 kilos...
    I like to have a free pizza offered by my wife, I won the bet :)
    May I send you a slice? :)

16. legoman666

Motherboard Tray

Hello everyone. I wasn't able to work at all yesterday since my dad was using the shop, but I did a little work today.

[​IMG]
    I wanted to get the motherboard tray done today, so I was checking the spacing.

[​IMG]
    Then I cut the sheet to size, drilled all of the holes for the spacers, and mounted the mobo backpane.

[​IMG]
    I cut a slot for the little pegs on the bottom of the PCI cards.

[​IMG]
    This was a pain in the neck to file to the right size after I completed the initial cut with a Dremel.

[​IMG]
    I had to use one small washer to get the correct spacing between the motherboard and the motherboard backpane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I stuck a motherboard on it and installed a PCI card to make sure I got the spacing right. Looks like it'll work. I'm not sure if the motherboard connector shield (mouse, USB and such) will fit. I don't have one for this particular motherboard that I can test with.

[​IMG]
    Then I drilled the holes to allow me to attach the motherboard tray to the drawer slides. In this pic, only two screws out of four are attached on one side.

[​IMG]
    View from the back. As you can see, the holes allow a fair amount of play, which is nice.

[​IMG]
    And then with all eight screws holding the tray to the slides. Each is held on with a small nut.

[​IMG]
    Action shot!

[​IMG]
    A piece of aluminum works great to hold the tray up so I can work on it.

[​IMG]
    And then closed.

[​IMG]
    I used a piece of 1/2" angle aluminum to attach my handle. The handle is centered with respect to the entire tray. The screws that hold it on are the same ones that hold the backpane to the tray. That's why it doesn't look centered.

[​IMG]
    Works great.

That's where I stopped today. Next on the list is to mount the power supply and make a "cover" of sorts for the top of the tank. Comments?

Last edited: 23 Mar 2009
  17. legoman666

Math is fun! Good luck with your mineral oil cooled project! Lookin sharp.

Yeah, your estimate sounds about right. I'm sure you can con more out of your wife than just 1 slice of pizza :worried: :thumb: As for sending me a slice, only if it's Gluten-Free! I have Celiac Disease: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celiachia (I think that's the right page, I can't speak Italian, lol)

Thank you everyone! You can never have too many clamps. No matter how many you have, you always need just one more.

18. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I know the celiac disease, I was a second-chef, and lots of our customers have the same trouble... Sorry, no gluten free pizza shipping, but if you came to Italy, maybe to visit Genoa , i can offer you a gluten free pizza and a gluten free beer at bicu :)

Talking about mods, it's amazing to see the sliding mobo tray, I must try sometimes to make a similar concept, kudos for your realization!

Anyway, you're right, it's the correct page on wiki....

19. legoman666

Hah! Good to hear. Thanks, you're welcome to any ideas I use. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have thought of it.

20. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Lego, from what I see you should be able to access the io panel when its running without getting your hands in oil? how far up are you filling the tank?