1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Onlive??!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whalemeister, 24 Mar 2009.

1. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Mar 2009
    CardJoe likes this.
  2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

yeah, it sounds cool - I'll wait to see the quality though! I guess it's effectively streaming video, and H.264 at 4Mbit looks amazing, so I'm sure they can make it look good. There was a demo of far cry somewhere, but I can't find it now.

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

That's pretty cool.

I think it would be great if you didn't have to buy any hardware though. The 'microconsole' may deter people.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So, basically it's an updated version of the old Dragon's Lair laserdisc games? Just slightly more technical...

It'd need decent bandwidth both upstream and downstream to be able to work properly - not only to receive data from the service, but to send your mouse/keyboard movements back.

Can't see it working, tbh.

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Won't be able to emulate the local experience even if you have a fibre connection due to the round trip latency so it's doomed just like every other gamestreaming service.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i saw an article claiming that they are working at around 1 milisecond lag at the moment, and this is in beta. if thats true this could spell massive changes ahead.

if its just marketing jargon however i wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised.

7. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

I don't quite buy it either.

And yeah, 1ms of lag... Unless the server was in another room, you couldn't PING it in 1ms.

I call BS.

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

that 1ms figure has to be ********, I can't talk to my ISP with only 1ms lag.

If a service like this was ever going to work it would have to be installed at the local exchange of your ISP and even then you are never going to get the same quality you do locally.

9. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

1ms decoding of video.. not 1ms response time

10. [PUNK] crompers

that would make sense

11. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Regardless it's still never going to give a responsive enough experience for most games, 4x games and some rts yeah, but not the likes of battlefield.

12. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

I rather own an actual physical copy of the game I'm playing, or just use Steam, and have my own hardware, and tweak it the way I like tbh.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

We won't know how good it is until we see it perform.

The game could possibly 'buffer'. I don't exactly know how that would work, but let your imagination figure that out.

Who knows, if they do this right, it might be great. Remember when Steam totally sucked?

14. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

you can do this locally with some other service, i tried it and did manage to run cod4 and crysis on my 7" netbook, and even on my local network it sucked in terms of lag, im dubious to if this will actually work.

15. [PUNK] crompers

did u need a beta key or is it just available to try?

edit: sorry misread thought you were talking about this service

16. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I'm still not 100% convinced that this will work that well, I mean just look at the marketing that goes with Citrix for example... It sounds great in theory but we all know how badly Citrix sucks!!!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, it's certainly very interesting though and I bet there are some hardware manufactures out there quietly pooping their collective pants about this.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

call me sceptical, i don't believe this will work, at least not in UK where most low-end PC users (this is what they are marketing towards) have a download limit.

but i would like to have their video codec card, so i can play Crysis on my iPhone :p

Last edited: 25 Mar 2009
  18. Major

Major Guest

Just wait and see the bloody thing in action before you say "It's not going to work etc etc".

If it does work, then the hardware market will suffer a lot gaming wise.

For something that apparently isn't going to work, it's getting way too much media....

And no one would develop something for SEVEN years that isn't going to work, period.

Very good video of the founder explaining it here. He is even stating "You think this is impossible, but it's revolutionary, and it works etc". One thing I have spotted though it doesn't streaming at 1080p, only 720p and below.

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/?series=on-the-spot&event=on_the_spot20090324

The console is tiny, which is going to be an advantage to them. The problem might be game availability, but if this thing gets popular, then I'm sure you'll see nearly every recent game on there. They show this working in that video, and it works there, but it is a performance, so you never know. Momo seems pretty cool, very realistic.

19. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

One word, Vista.

20. Major

Major Guest

It does work, it just needs tweaking.

AKA Windows 7.

;)

Just seen the developers they have, wow, EA, Ubisoft, THQ, Take2, Eidos, Rockstar etc...

But like I stated before, availability will be key for this to work.