1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mineral Oil PC - 3/24/2011 - More leaks :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman666, 29 Jan 2009.

1. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

That is correct (I hope so anyway, heh). I plan on filling the oil up to the bottom of the IO panel connectors. There should be about a 3/4" - 1" gap of air between the top of the oil and the top of the IO panel.

2. Stormwulf

Stormwulf A mod to far?

Looking good mate and appers to be coming on quite quickly too :D

Deceptive seeing the scale in the picture with your hand holding up the mobo tray.

This is going to be a work of art :thumb:

3. legoman666

Yea, it kind of looks big, but it's about the size of a regular case. Mounting the mobo pointing upwards allows a shorter case.

4. sortableturnip

sortableturnip What's a Dremel?

How much of a gap is there between the back of the motherboard tray and the acrylic tank? Don't want it too close lest ye wants dripping oil on the outside of the case.

Also, an idea: can you hook a hose to the incoming line of the bottom of the tank so that it pulls the oil from the top part of the tank (where the oil will be the hottest)? Could help reduce the temperature of the oil by a few degrees.

5. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Nice nice, I will be dunking my io panel in unfortunately :p I'll keep a usb hub outside but other than that the io panel wont really need to be accessed for me.

Waiting for update pics!

6. legoman666

Yea, I always find that I need to tinker more than I should have to. I have a USB outside as well so I'm hoping I won't have too much of a mess. We'll see ;)

The drawer slides are 1/2" thick and the strips of acrylic they're attached to are 1/4" thick. So 3/4". I hope the oil doesn't drip out when I pull the mobo-tray up. That would make a mess.

As for the oil intake hose, that is the plan. I want to intake hot oil from near the GPU's and exhaust the cooled oil next to the CPU.

Keep the comments and questions coming!

7. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

Great work. Just great work! Man this is a incredible scratch build.

I feel ya on the Celiac Disease as my fiancee and I have it too.

You can always try shopping online here Gluten Free Mall or GlutenFree.com.

We make pizza's all the time, but we have to make our own dough. It's a pain, but it's worth it.

If ya ever need any recipies let me know.

Take care,

Keith

8. legoman666

Cool! I need to find me a woman with Celiac. I love cooking. I'm living at home with my mother who also has Celiac, but I want to move closer to school and work. We make our own bread and such all the time. There is one particular website that I like a lot for recipes, it's not a "gluten-free" website, but there are several thousand recipes on it that are: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/gluten-free

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

on celiac again, japanese cookery is pretty much epic win for wheat free cuisine. just make sure to use tamari soy sauce instead of the normal shoyu - it's brewed without the wheat.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Dude amazing ingenuity, looks bloody fantastic and keeps getting better.

11. qbadd

qbadd summer 09' build is getting closer

ATX back panel

i was wondering where you got the atx back panel, you said you received it in the mail?

12. legoman666

13. lolabunny087

lolabunny087 There's a first time for everything

Hi ..I was just browsing through ur thread .. and I'm pretty impressed with ur planning and construction thus far ... :D ..I was just wondering ... is the motherboard tray back panel and expansion slots gonna be sealed completely ? will they be submerged or above the oil level ?.. I would expect some fair amount of oil flow and movement in the tank .. and hope u take the right precautions to not let the oil spill out ... about the 2 vgas.. ur gonna change the heatsinks right ? .. are u gonna be attaching fans to them .... ? .. if u did .. they would still move .. but very slowly .. they would help in heat dissipation ...
    U tested the tank with water ... but have u tested with the oil ? .. I think oil molecules are smaller than water ..but i'm sure the tank is sealed tight .. :)
    oil is a fluid .. and in fluid , heat rises to the top by convection and cooler fluid moves to the bottom .. placing the intake for ur cooling system around the top where it can suck in the relatively warmer oil would cool ur setup more efficiently ... * I'm just giving my views and opinions ... I'm doing medicine .. my physics sucks ... lol ... ur the engineer :) * ..
    I wish u all the best ... were u gonna put wheels on the bottom ? .. or u gonna place the tank on a table ot mini cabinet on wheels .. ?.. it's gonna be pretty heavy to be carrying it about ...

14. qbadd

qbadd summer 09' build is getting closer

15. sortableturnip

sortableturnip What's a Dremel?

16. legoman666

Thanks for the reply. No, the motherboard back panel is not going to be sealed. The oil shouldn't slosh around too much because it will never be moved once I fill it. It will be very heavy. I don't have any plans for wheels since it will be sitting on my desk. I wouldn't want it to roll off!

About the video cards, I removed the stock coolers on 'em and replaced them with Thermalright T-Rad^2's. I'm hoping I won't need fans on them when they're in the oil. As of right now, they're in my system with 92mm fans on them. I briefly had them in there with no fans at all. It worked fine for sitting around on the desktop but I couldn't play games or run folding at home.

And yes, the oil intake is going to be near the GPU's and the cool oil output from the radiator is going to be next to the CPU.

Cheers.

17. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Make sure your desk is sturdy enough to support this case ;)

Also, you may want to put some thought toward this: Lowering the fully loaded motherboard tray into the oil will probably raise the fluid level. You may want to simulate the volume displacement in some manner... Or you could just put everything in and then add oil until it's where you want it.. haha

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Any rough estimate on how heavy the final build will be?

19. legoman666

At the moment it's 40lbs. Add 75lbs of oil, 15lbs of computer equipment, and 5 more lbs for good measure and we're up to 135lbs.

My desk is very old and very heavy. I think it took 4 people to carry it up the stairs. We had to take the door off to get it in the room. And if you think about it, supporting 135lbs is like sitting on your desk.

20. GrendelPrime

GrendelPrime What's a Dremel?

One of my legs would be close to 135. :D

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing some Hero shots when all is said and done.