1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Hutch (Qmicra v2) The reservoir v.2! Aug 16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 1 Feb 2009.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Lol, thanks, I think... Better get on it, gotta make the wife-to-be happy! :D

I don't think the sheetrock came China... but then again, everything does. :sigh:

I did notice the clutter... although the wife pointed out that at least I can close the door on it now. Lol. Actually, she was unhappy that I posted pictures of the family room before it was cleaned... :duh:

2. craigbru

Thank you! It's nice to be finally done. :D

3. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Great job there Craig! Basements are always fun to hang out in. Nice and cool in the summer, warm and insulated in the winter. :D

Does your wife realize now she will never see you? lol

4. craigbru

Haha, thanks Brian! I've been slowly trying to get the shop organized. I need more shelves, and drawers. I'm also going to get a pegboard up, but for now at least the space is usable.

She knows she won't see me as much, but as long as I've got an extra stool and I turn the music up loud, she doesn't mind watching me work. :D

5. craigbru

The last update left off with the mounting of the front radiator. The second radiator will be covered in a bit, but I need to get the pump mounting figured out first. The picture below represents the location where the pump will be mounted. It's up and out of the way, and should allow easy filling and maintenance. Just because the case is small, doesn't mean it needs to be difficult to work on. I'll be fabricating a new aluminum mount in the next day or two...

[​IMG]

Next up... I've got to get placement of the second radiator figured out. The stock location won't work as it is. The case was never meant to have a radiator mounted up front, so a little revision is needed. I've got to move the mount about 2cm to the rear. Here you can see the tight clearances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now finally, as part of getting my shop in order, I've dug a little something out of retirement. It's my old Fisher stereo receiver. Granted, it may be 20 years old, but when purchased, it was an amazing piece of equipment. In fact, if you could judge an items worth by the number of buttons alone, then this thing is a king! I've got it attached to some cheap Philips speakers from an old home-theater-in-a-box, and wow... they never sounded so good. Certainly not audiophile quality, but dang nice for a shop. I can now listen to podcasts and watch Hulu loudly enough to drown out a dremel...

[​IMG]

There's much more to come, including actual construction, so check back soon...

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looking really good Craig.

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

woah for a moment i thought i was looking at a cnc in the first pic.that reciever is sik.

8. craigbru

Thanks mate!

Lol, I wish I had a CNC. Although, if I did, I'd never leave the workshop. :D

Yeah, the receiver is top-of-the-line 20 year old tech. :thumb:

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

How did I miss Craigs' next project!?!? and with 4 pages already.

Look great so far - I'll be watching this with the utmost interest.

Goodluck mate!

10. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

Good old Fisher equipment. I keep trying to talk my dad into letting me update his entertainment center, but he wont won't budge. He's deadset on keeping his Fisher stuff(circa 1975) because it still works.

11. craigbru

Hey, thanks man! I can understand how you missed it. I got very sidetracked for a while, and it's not like you haven't been busy yourself. Lol. In fact, my planning thread for OSIDIAS is at 6 pages already. It's about time I get back on track with this project. :D

Hey, if it works, then I can see why he's attached to it. It's quality gear. I don't know about his components, but at least on my receiver there are literally a ton of inputs. More than practical now-a-days, but get this... you could actually attach at least 3 VCR's to this. How's that for awesome? :lol: :eyebrow:

12. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Ahh, back to Hutch :) :dremel::clap:

Is that a carpeted workshop I see? :nono:

13. craigbru

Yeah, it's about time, huh?

Yes, it is carpeted. I know it's going to take a beating, but honestly, it's the same batch of carpet that survived the Rogue. I'm willing to take it out at some point, but for the moment I don't need to. It's not like I'm welding there... although I may break out a torch... :eyebrow:

14. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Well actually I was thinking about static in a environment designed to build computers in ;)

Then again, I have probably built dozens of machines in rooms with carpeted floors with no issue, so its probably not a big deal.

I think I am just jealous you have a dedicated workspace. It gives me hope that you have been using a card table until now ;)

15. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Haha, I have an old Denon receiver in my garage, about the same age too. That thing's bullet proof! :thumb:

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I have an '80s-era Sansui amp. I love that little black monster. Anything above 2 with the filters off knocks sh*t off the walls.:D

17. tyrandan

tyrandan Pink Lemonade.

Cool radiator mounting skillz :dremel: And nice bathroom too lol. Although I think you should invert the door, and put the drive cage beside the radiat- ARGH! I'm not used to house modding! Too much case modding :wallbash: .....

LOL......

18. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Love the radiator mounting [​IMG]

19. craigbru

As far as I'm concerned, static discharge risks are highly exaggerated. I've never had an issue, and I've never bothered to take precautions. I guess I like living on the edge. Lol.

Yeah, keep hoping for a shop man. Dreams can come true! :D

Excellent! I truly believe they don't build them like they used to.

I'd believe it. I had an old Sansui receiver as well. It was a rock.

Lol, I wonder what the wife would think of that...

Thanks man!

20. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

I like the way you've mounted the front rad, clean and simple and also not having anything in the way, well done. I'm about to do a mod in a sliverstone Sugo SG03, inspired by your rogue, fitting an atx mobo and watercoolng in it and all I can say is I wish I had your skills.

Nice House modding.. I remember when it started while I was watching the rogue log.. Wish I had a dedicated place to mod, although I do have a workshop but its across the yard from the house, its further than you think as its not you typicial yard or house, the garden here is about 16 acres so its quite large and it gets freezing while working over there in the winter where as your shop looks nice and warm.

Can't wait to see where this goes. Have you decided on which X58 mAtx your going to use, DFI or Asus?