1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress WaterCube *Update 19/04/10*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by haofeng, 23 Mar 2009.

1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I think the only time people mind is when they're trying to read a post half way down the page, and suddenly everything jumps about cause the images from previous posts above it suddenly load.

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

looking really nice. love your work!

3. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

yay! new page started! :D

Sorry if I dont thank you personally for all those great comments guys, I recon getting on with the project would make y'all happier...

tyrandan: I havent decided yet, but its gonna be whichever way it is easiest to set up the tubing. Anyways, contrary to common misconception, apparently, it doesnt make any difference which way the water flows, since then temp in the entire setup is uniform. Can't remember where I read it tho...

update soon...

4. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

update 4-DISASTER!!

I decided to test fit the top panel just now and....disaster!

Somehow, the lip I bent managed to be a few degrees off the perpendicular to the sides of the top panel, if you get what I mean. So when I line the lip up with the rear of the case, the sides are slightly askew. I have no idea how I managed to bugger this one up! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:I think this was more a problem with my marking out then bending.

A few pics to demonstrate the problem

The lip matches up like so
    [​IMG]

But the sides are askew
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the problem. I recon its about 5mm off
    [​IMG]

And conversely, when the sides are parallel to the frame, the lip doesn't fit properly anymore
    [​IMG]

I think I might have to chop off the lip completely, trim the top panel a bit so that the sides are parallel, and then probably attatch some alu angle to the back to make a lip. Anyone got any good solutions?

I'm considering making a new top panel, but then that would be very time (and money) consuming...:sigh:

5. waynespartan

waynespartan What's a Dremel?

looking good

6. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 5

I've decided to postpone the correction on the top panel, and have a think about what to do-though to be honest, i dont think there are many options open to me.

Anyway, I got on with the frame, and the motherboard support, as well as the support for the piece of alu which divides the top and bottom sections.

some cutting...
    [​IMG]

Heres the finished frame
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

The joint with the rear piece of alu angle
    [​IMG]

Heres the join with the front piece. I havent actually joined the small piece of alu angle to the front piece yet, I will be using masking tape for the time being. This is because I dont want to screw the piece in since it'll mess up the look of the front panel, so I think I will use some epoxy glue (araldite is what I'm thinking), since alu doesnt like to be welded. Does that sound like a good idea? Any better methods?
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty pleased with how the frame has come out, and now I need to fabricate the divider piece, and the pice which supports the m/b. More on that later.

I decided to do a rad mock-up to see how much space I have to work with internally, and seems its gonna be pretty tight in there.

Front view...damn I love those rad grills
    [​IMG]

Not much space between the m/b and the rad (sorry the m/b tray looks in such bad shape, hopefully it'll be fine once I finish the support), so I'm gonna have to be careful when I come to do the tubing for the watercooling. This is pretty close to the pic I had on sketchup.
    [​IMG]

Now for a top view- demonstrates how little space I have. I know the m/b tray is askew, but it will be good once I secure it a bit better.
    [​IMG]

And for a summary of most of the progress I've made so far
    [​IMG]

Will have some more work up soon...

7. tjay@TJ

tjay@TJ Minimodder

great job with the scratch build:thumb:.
    sorry for the disaster.

my suggestion is to bend a new piece. well looks is mor than anything. but than again, if it can be fix, why not.

8. Tungil90

Tungil90 What's a Dremel?

looks promising!
    keep it up;)

9. tyrandan

tyrandan Pink Lemonade.

Sorry about that botched bend man. If it were me, I would just save up the moolah and get a new piece to bend, and work on other things while saving up. Good job so far though, Ilike the rad grill too :rock:

10. Denrik

Denrik What's a Dremel?

Nice build mate, I would go with bending a new piece as well hey, may as well do it right, get it over with.
    Hope it all comes together for you.

Dan.

11. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Sorry for being away for so long, well, i cant reli do much modding at skl, and for the last month or so, ive been on the other side of the pond.

Anyway, i've got some exciting new bits and hopefully progress will be quicker from now on. I aint got any pics on yet, but ill try to get some up by tonite- ive managed to get most of the panels more or less done. Im hoping to get this thing finished by the end of the hols.

Haofeng :D

12. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Hey man nice build should look the nuts when it's done :D

How about putting a hinge on the lid??

13. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 6

Ok, here are the promised progress pics.

First off, I made the motherboard support and the divider piece
    [​IMG]

Heres a closer pic, tho i didnt manage to get my crappy camera to focus properly
    [​IMG]

I bought a faulty mobo on ebay for some mock fits etc for a couple fo quid. It even came with a P4 cpu inside it, whichwas a nice surprise...i guess ill use it as a desktop ornament or smthing. I fiinished the rear panel- there r four cutouts on it for the 80mm fans, and the psu/ mobo holes r cut out too.
    [​IMG]

The rear view makes it a little clearer...
    [​IMG]

Thumbscrews holding it all together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a lot of time spent with a file...i got the side panels cut and filed down to size. The end result was pretty good in my opinion tho. its still held to the rest of the case with a little masking tape-im gonna have that sorted out soon.
    [​IMG]

again, the focus was bad, but decent fit, perhaps a little sanding will make it a little better...
    [​IMG]

rear view
    [​IMG]

I just need to cut out the side panels to fit the fans. i picked up a couple of rad grills while i was in the us, it should look pretty awesome.

I got the top panel sorted too. I reli couldnt face up to making a new top panel, so i went with the chopping off the lip plan. then i added a pair of alu angle pieces to attatch it to the rest of the case.
    [​IMG]

The alu angle is attatched to the top panel with araldite...im hoping itll b strong enuf.
    [​IMG]

I also added a lip to the front of the panel (again, araldite). This should keep the toppanel from coming out to place.
    [​IMG]

Slides under like so (sorry about the crappy pic)
    [​IMG]

I forgot to take a pic of all the panels attatched :duh: will have one for u next time

well, thats it for now, i think the main bits on the actual case still to do are
    1. HDD rack
    2. Front I/O panel and switches
    3. secure dvd drives and fan controller
    4. cut fan holes onside panels
    5. powder coat

and then comes the actual build...:D

thats all i can manage today, will show u some of the goodies i picked up in the US next time :thumb:

@woody- i did think of using a hinge, but think my present solution will suffice, so i dont think i will bother with all the complications that come with it.

Over and out
    Haofeng

14. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 7

first off, my new workspace- we moved house, so i now have what used to be the study in the new house allocated to my modding needs :D
    all nice and clean...for the moment
    [​IMG]

and i got this new work bench/shelf unit which i recon will come in useful...
    [​IMG]

check out my new toy :D
    215 drill bits i all its glory...
    [​IMG]

speaking of new stuff, i got another one of these babies to keep mine company...165 bucks from newegg with CoD 5 in tow, too good to miss
    [​IMG]

in all its naked glory...
    [​IMG]

more toys
    [​IMG]

this should come in handy when it comes to doing all the wiring
    [​IMG]

and finally, some more radgrillz
    [​IMG]

Im a big fan of the hexx mesh- this will be going on the side panels
    [​IMG]

now for cutting the actual holes for the radgrills- templates glued on with some old fashoined pritt stick
    [​IMG]

lots of conviniently placed holes for my jigsaw
    [​IMG]

...and after some hard-core jigsaw action
    [​IMG]

I did the top panel hole for the window while i was at it
    [​IMG]

et voila!
    [​IMG]

thats all i had the time to do last night. I guess i have a good amount of filing to do today...will have an update tonight.

now i need to contact watercoolinguk to see if i can get this powdercoated- i think they do a pretty good, reasonably priced service. hopefully, the masking tape is gonna b coming off over the next few days and ill be sending the whole thing off for a lick of paint. :D

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Really nice, compact design and good work with the aluminum. Keep it up.

16. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 8

I did some filing plus a couple of other bits and pieces this afternoon

Filed lovingly...its as near perfect as i could have hoped for

[​IMG]

Drilled the holes

[​IMG]

and...perfecto! you cant really see from the picture, but the holes match up pretty well. Im still waiting on a shipment of screws, so will have a test fit soon

[​IMG]

side panels mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and now with the top panel on too. i filed that one as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well, at least im pleased....:D its all beginning to come together at last.

im gonna see if i can get the I/O cutouts done tonight as well...

jegerjon likes this.
  17. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

this looks pretty sweet haofeng. +rep for incredible patience with jigsaw and file! ;)

18. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

I'm loving what you've done already.. What are the other goodies you going to put inside of this awesome case? I've always wanted to build a dcase identical to this and cannot wiat to see how it turns out....

19. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 9

thanks guys, much appreciated.

@rich999- all in good time...:p

I had an early night last night, so didnt do the I/O plate. Got it done this morning though
    It was a little challenging to cut the hole for the I/O plate because it was kinda small, but i managed it. unfortunately, i had to call on my old friend Mr File again...

well, heres the actual I/O plate, the Silverstone FP32- looks nice, and not too expensive, i think i picked it up for a tenner or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres it fitted, along with my vandal resistant switch. damn those things r expensive!

[​IMG]

i havent mounted the I/O shield yet, i need to think up a good way to fix it to the case

[​IMG]

thats all for the moment, will do some more work this afternoon.

20. haofeng

haofeng What's a Dremel?

Update 9 and a bit...

I got the fixing bracket for the I/O plate done...
    I had to chop a bit off the I/O plate cos it was in the way of the side panel fans, and then i used the chopped off bit to make the bracket...recycling at its best :D

[​IMG]

(electrical bits removed in case of damage)

and i also contacted watercoolinguk and got the powder coating more or less sorted- satin black here i come!