1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Public Beta News

Discussion in 'Software' started by icutebluezone, 8 Jan 2009.

1. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

havent used RC1, is it better than Beta 1? PM me a linkeh pls?
    Last build i have was 7022, which was working nicely, with the only complaint is not having scrolling in my Touchpad (synaptics) and slightly laggy graphics on games (expected on a 256MB card GFX card, 2GB Ram and 2GHz dual core Intel). Other than that it works great. So Main differences between RC1/Beta 1 are? And is it still DRM-BS?

2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Hurm... anyone have a fix for drivers not running correctly (specifically audio drivers). I'm still on build 7000, and I havent been able to get my speakers or front audio running on my laptop.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

null: You got PM. :thumb:

Apparently TPB took all Win7 RC1s down. :eyebrow:

@ Volund: How old is that laptop? :p

4. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

2 or 3 years.... I found vista drivers... but even running in compatibility mode, no sound... I've been relying on my USB headset for the past 2 months :waah:

5. perplekks45

Your USB headset works but your speaker don't? Sounds more like the speakers are dead.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

nah, the USB headphones would have different drivers to the soundcard.

I went through that problem with Vista and my old Soundblaster Live extigy card. I got round it by pulling the SoundBlaster and using the onboard instead. I'm guessing as it's a laptop Volund would be able to do that though :p .

Best bet is to find out what chipset the laptop uses and check the manufacturers website for the correct drivers or get an external soundcard (I think creative does an external one for laptops).

7. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

thx for the pms, i replied. TPB take something down? that never happens (trust me I would know ;))

Is there anything on touchpad drivers for Synaptics Touchpads? I want dual scroll in 7

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Well no one has! :p There is no such thing (yet).

9. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Builds dated after Build 7000 are near-RC1, the latest 7068 has all the features said to be included in the RC1 build, so technically yes, it's RC1 :p

10. perplekks45

Well, go to TPB and search for Win 7 build 7057. I couldn't find anything.

//edit:

I take it all back! Just checked, they're back. But I swear, when I PM'd you there was nothing! :eeek: Conspiracy!!! AAaaaaaaaHHHhhhHH!!!! :eyebrow:

11. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Windows 7 uses the Vista driver model, your vista drivers will work with hardware in Windows 7 without much issue. The publically available beta of Win 7 will expire August 1st 2009. There are changes here and there, but essentially Win 7 is a tweaked Vista. The GPU requirements have been toned back a little, to help Win 7 run on slightly "older hardware" unlike Vista which required bleeding edge GPU's to run Areo.

Keep in mind you can disable Areo in Vista and run the Windows Classic theme (similar to Windows 2000) for a performance gain.

Yes I know, because I use Windows 7 Enterprise ;)

-edit ha ha, the download links have been taken down but I have the DVD for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 (pays to work at a huge company) and you can still register to obtain a product key here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx

Let me know if I should ISO those DVDS and dump them onto some share medium.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2009
  12. perplekks45

Oh, wow, you use Windows 7 Enterprise! I'm impressed, I use Win7 Ultimate, though. :p
    And you didn't need bleeding edge GPUs to run Aero.

Otherwise I kinda agree with you...

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

The GPUs that could easily run in Windows XP (for those who did not play computer games on the cutting edge) had problems displaying all that Aero goodness where if you run Vista in classic theme (as is the case with my cheapo laptop with on-board GPU) performance is on-par with XP. Even budget CPU with 1-2 GB of RAM on Vista in classic mode works OK.

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No, because these GPU were not real GPU. They were sending the job to the CPU (which sucks at it) and getting the result, does an additional part of the work and outputs the results (and handles movie playback and such). This is perfectly fine, because it cost pennies to make (heck Intel was giving them virtually away to OEM's), and the targeted market was average users that uses Windows to surf the web and type text. But then, Vista comes along with Aero, where instead of using the CPU to render the desktop, wallpaper, windows boarders and effects, it uses the GPU. The proper and logical way to do it. But these Intel video cards can't handle it, because the CPU is having a hard time, and priority is giving on the application rather than the UI.

Using Aero Basic or Windows Standard uses XP engine (meaning the CPU renders the UI). However, another problem top things over for theses 200$ Dell laptops users.. is the OS was design to run on a multi-core CPU (meaning programs runs it's processes on several cores at the same time). This my friends, is hard to do. It's really hard to get both worlds happy (single and multi-core). So Vista crap even more on their system. And, add the inconsistency of the OS that confuses people:
    [​IMG]
    Pick one!

And lack of drivers support because many big companies decided to be assy and force people and businesses to buy new printers and software (HP, Creative, Intel, to name a few), pushed Vista to be hated. In result... Vista is a great home or small business OS, because these kind of things are easy to adjust and fix.. but on a large scale business... not so much..

I mean look at Banks. They have software designed in 16-bit and running on WinXP thanks to emulators... and I wont' even be surprised if the emulator emulates another emulator which runs the program. Reprogramming these applications to be bug free is very costly. So Vista is no go in such environment. I would expect the same on Win7.. right until it would be time to upgrade all the computers. I know that the college I used to work is doing this. All the new system is Vista ready... the IT guys (like me, when I used to work there) run Server 2008 and Vista... but too many teachers had old Dell Optiplex systems (or their equivalent from IBM) with 256 or 512MB of RAM with Windows 2000 or XP. It's not priority for the school to chnage as the teacher barely use them, or are computer illiterate. The school updated a lot of teachers computer where they need computer performance, the system are Vista/Win7 ready.. but they still keep to XP because they decided it would be simpler to train and support everyone together than have 2 groups. So until then.. Vista is a skip for the wide spread deployment.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2009
  15. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

do it do it do it!:rock::rock::D:thumb:

im gonna go find a DVD and go get another version of Win7 :p

16. perplekks45

Share medium? Like TPB or Mininova? :eyebrow:

17. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Yes some website such as those. You still need to register with Microsoft for a product key (here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx). However last night I got into car repair nightmares and didn't have time to dump the ISOs.

I'll start now and work on seeding through the weekend.

18. perplekks45

I'm running 7 since before the official beta, but thanks. :)
    And I don't think you have to, just go to TPB and pick the top-seeded torrent for Win7... well over 1000 seeders. :thumb:

19. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Yes I know, but this is a DVD direct from m$ not some random or unknown (but trusted Internet source) perhaps I should scrap this whole idea haha.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2009
  20. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

either one is good, but i prefer TPB

nd plus i would rather have it from a "trusted internet source" :D