1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress INTERBLU

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by icutebluezone, 28 Dec 2008.

1. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

heh. i feel sorry for you kiwis

2. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Thanks man yeh it sucks and not a lot of modding gear of options of parts here. :( shipping is such a killer to import parts.

3. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

Thank you for the pictures. I already have been looking at large amounts of pictures on the net. None had the measurment from the top of the mobo to the top of the case, I was hoping to lose the top drive bay and slide the mobo in up there and still be able to mount 2 HD at the bottom. Not sure what to do about the watercooling though as i'm puting 2 9800gtx which will take up large amounts of space.

Just been through your photobucket, nice buggy, but back onto you mod i like that fan controller, have you thought about modding it behind the opposite door to the card reader? maybe you need to make the knobs smaller. Are you going to be doing any major modding on the case?

Parts do look expensive over there, poor you, must be hard to mod if you don't have deep pockets.

4. icutebluezone

Richh999: The inside size of the case is. 340mm top to bottom this is with the hdd racks removed you could install a flat plate on the bottom of case. 280mm front to back this is with out the front fans installed. 190mm wide this is mobo tray to side of case. wanted the PCI slot fan controller as I have a lian li card reader in the 3.5" bay plus the top PCI slot is a nice easy place to get to for fan adjusting. No plans to cut the case up but never no. Thanks man yeh buggys is my other hobby. Yep parts are costly and not a lot of options over here also we have to wait ages before new parts get to us. :(

Anyways back to the build. I got the project out of its box tonight to get them sizes and also install the hdd coolers. Test fit.

The hdd coolers. Will not be using the molex to 3 pin adaptors on both coolers.
    [​IMG]

Nicely on the hdd with the cable going out the back of the hdd.
    [​IMG]

Installed into the alloy hdd rack.
    [​IMG]

After that I went to install the rack into the case and found out that the rails on the hdd's hit the 3.5" bay bracket. This is because I flipped the hdd's upside down and the brackets can only go 1 way so I had to cut the plastic grips down a little that you hold onto when removing the hdd out of the racks. Was a easy mod.

Both hdd coolers installed on the hdds. Cables out the back will be joined together and sleeved. Plus they will run under the mobo up to the top of the case to the PCI fan controller.
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2009
  5. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

aren't the hdd colers supposed to go on the metal side? or is it just not possible with the rack things?

6. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

If you look mounting holes in those coolers, you can see that they are supposed to use like that.

7. icutebluezone

Yeh you can mount them to the bottom of your hdd or you can mount them in a 3.5" bay that have 4 holes on the sides and 4 on the base of the cooler. Thay are a very nice fit. Also because i have flipped the hdd's upside down I dont have to try and find 180 deg angle sata cables. I already no there is 0 in NZ. 90 deg we have also the power plugs I can use the 90 deg T style plugs.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/036/scit1000_detail.html

Last edited: 29 Mar 2009
  8. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

nice work so far, there is a place called legionenterprises (but i think you are featured on the modding section of the site) that sells supplies.

9. icutebluezone

Yeh already no about him, Mates with him. Have got a lot of parts for pc mods off him before. :) Yeh he has removed the modding section off is home page for now but its still on net. Think he looking at upgrading it.

10. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

i can host images if you would like. Just send me a PM

11. icutebluezone

Thanks best49erfun. Its ok im just looking it my photobucket at moment and giving it a clean out.

Have been thinking of installing a SSD or 2.5" hdd in the case for the OS and programs and have the 2x 750gb hdds as mirrored storage. Been looking into CF to sata also. There is room above the dvd drive and also at the top back of the case. Then I remebered about sumone doing a PCI mounted 2.5" hdd. Anyways just thinking of what to do at moment.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2009
  12. icutebluezone

Just to let you all no photos are back up will have no problems now.

13. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Love the HD cooler, nice work as usual dude!

14. icutebluezone

:thumb:
    Thanks man. all cables will be made short and sleeved later on. Been keep a eye on your mods. love the skull work you did. BIO-MECHANICAL KHAOS

15. icutebluezone

Been looking at 2.5" hdd's and SDD and cf to sata options for the OS to go on.

Photo of the room I have. There is about 65mm from the top of the case to the edge of the mobo and about 140 to 180mms from the back of the case to a part the gets in the way. Also I would have to install stand off's about 5mm ones because of the side panel rails.

[​IMG]

Laptop hdd would be the cheaper option to do then a SDD or CF to sata. But I dont think a 2.5" hdd would fit in the space and I would have to use the hohles in the bottom of the hdd not the side ones.

Have been looking at this cf to sata adaptor. There is a daul cf to sata but its to wide.
    http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adsahdcf.asp

Anyone got any ofher options?

16. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I guess I am missing the problem here. It seems to me that you have plenty of room to mount even a standard 3.5" HD in the upper rear location you are focusing on. Since you have mega storage in the bottom of the case, my vote would be for a SSD, a standard 2.5" 7200 RPM laptop drive or even taking a 10k RPM Velociraptor drive apart and rigging it for active cooling (the Velociraptor is normally a very fast 2.5" drive with a huge heat sink)

Last edited: 1 Apr 2009
  17. icutebluezone

Yeh im wanting to mount it flat on the mobo tray. above the mobo so 3.5" out of the option.

18. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

The HDDs you bought aren't 7200rpm drives. The green power range has a slower spindle speed that changes from drive to drive most spin around 5400rpm. They are also incredibly cool drives so the coolers won't have to work too hard.

To get a 7200rpm Western Digital drive you need a drive from the Blue, or Black range. Or an enterprise drive like the RE3.

Not a big deal, but I'm a stickler for that sort of stuff.

19. icutebluezone

Last edited: 2 Apr 2009