1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BenQ MP512-ST Short-Throw Projector

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Mar 2009.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Panny's 103" plasma costs over £60k, including a stand and compulsory site survey :eeek:

2. mrdoogso

mrdoogso What's a Dremel?

Clive, great to see bit-tech doing some reviews on projectors. I would love to see more budget price HD projector reviews.. especially geared towards HD gaming and general home theater use. I currently own a 40 inch telley but am being drawn by the idea of 100+ inches of gaming goodness for around £600. A lab head-to-head between 3 budget HD projectors would be something to jump up and down about while clapping like to giddy 3 year old....... Cheers !!!

3. Xir

Xir Modder

+1 :D

4. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I purchased a 40" LCD Samsung thats 1080p with the 120hz refresh rate for 1700 US$ back in November. While I could've gotten other equivalent sized LCDs for much cheaper, the Samsung had me sold on the vibrant colors and the 50,000 : 1 contrast ratio with a 4ms response rate. Full specs can be found here

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...visions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN40A650A1FXZA

When I looked at this one side by side comparison in the store with many other LCD flatpanels the picture quality and color was really tops. If you got the dough, they have even bigger sizes of this model.

DISCLAIMER: No I do not work for Samsung or have any financial ties to the company. I just really like this TV.

5. flaunt

flaunt What's a Dremel?

"If you’re a HD fanboy then this review is over for you, sorry! "

Lol, HD fanboy? Gotta say that's the first time I've heard that one. Makes me wonder if the author has ever seen anything in full HD glory, especially at the dimensions a projector can produce. Clearly though, if you require the beautiful picture a good HD set can produce you're just a "fanboy."

6. rallyartuk

rallyartuk What's a Dremel?

Nice to read the review on MP512ST. I am wondering, why you say that there is no Component input on it. The VGA D-sub input is the component input. Just buy a cable D-Sub to 3 RCA for connecting it. The manual also explains it.

I am researching on buying a cheap projector for viewing cinema at home. I have narrowed down to Benq 522ST (XGA 1024x768 resolution, less HDMI port when compared with 512st) and Optoma HD65 (1200 x 720), both are below 900 US$. Even though 522ST is not a home cinema projector, I am seriously considering it for buying for its short throw capability and lamp life.

Any recommendations?

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The lamp life of the Benq is about the same as any other projector bulb.

Personally, I'd go for the Optoma - it's a dedicated home cinema projector, and will still be able to project a reasonably large image as long as your room isn't too small (but if it's really that small, a projector isn't really a sensible option anyway).

Take a look at Epson projectors too - they do a range of home cinema projectors as well - also Panasonic.

8. sahara

sahara What's a Dremel?

BenQ MP512 ST (Short Throw

I have been reading the messages for the benqmp512st . Everyone has helped me, so firstly thank you! I can not spend as much as most of you, but I really don't want to get this projector if it will not work the way i want it too.
    I sing and was wanting a projector at the back of me and put some video loops on it with quite a fair sized background, some stages are not that large so i have to have a short throw projector.
    Wheres the best places to get them?

Tags: Add Tags