1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Western Digital buys SSD entry

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

about bloody time

tbh what i think is needed is a form of hybrid. think a 60GB SSD ontop of a 1TB HDD which the OS sees as a SSD btu internally the Thing can transfer data to and from each as and when required

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

HDD's have had a cache for years, a 60GB cache wouldn't be used efficiently unless it had future telling algorythmn or set tasks (which would usually be cached in memory instead).

4. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

60GB cache? You'll be better off with seperate 1TB HDD + 60GB SSD. Then you could apply your future telling intelligence to deploy OS + critical data on the SSD and the big mass of data that doesn't need fast access on the HDD. Better yet: Give them to me! :p

On-topic: I think it's great news. I'm looking forward to seeing major HDD players applying their storage know-how into SSDs.
    They really need to join the market quickly before they lose their brand power. I just hope their commercial presence doesn't push poor products into the whole channel!

Last edited: 31 Mar 2009
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if you can't beat them, join them.

im glad WD entered SSD, im a WD fan and i'd put all my life worth of data on their drive (with backup of course) and relay on it. their drives are the best.

hopefully their SSD drives will continue to be quality drives

Last edited: 31 Mar 2009
  6. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

They don't really have any choice really. Mechanical disks are a dieing market and if they don't keep up with the new SSD tech they will simply go under. I wonder what the likes of Seagate etc are planning. They must at least have drives in development.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I think it'll be quite a long time until mechanical HDDs are dead but I think it's good to have WD enter the SSD market. More competition, and from a company known for high quality products that is, is always good.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I agree with the first remark, I would like to see a hybrid veloci-raptor, have like 64gb of storage for the OS and main Apps, and then like 300gb (or higher with those speeds) in normal storage, now that would be awesome and then when the SSD market completely surpasses current HDD by a decent margin in all categories then make the move to full on SSD. :)

9. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Well about time, I think that WD will become a major player in this market. However, the question is if they can smoothly and efficiently switch from mechanical R&D to SSD R&D or balance the two efficiently. And also if they will make a good product.

Hopefully they will

10. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I guess they found 20,000 RPM to be a little ambitious then. :)

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

or pointless?
    seeing as SSDs are about 0.1ms access time, a normal 7200rpm disk about 10ms and a 15krpm velociraptor about 5 there seems little to gain from increasing spindle speeds

12. Stormwulf

Stormwulf A mod to far?

Thought they were 10k rpm.

In honesty i agree though, ssd is the way to go preformance wise and its good to see a market leader entering the field. Normal hd's still rock for overall capacity vs budget though at present.

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

oh yeah, i thought they'd increase it to 15 for the velociraptors for some reason

would still need huge spindle speeds to get anywhere near SSDs

14. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Sounds like a good move for WD. SSDs are definitely looking like the way of the future.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Raptor was 10kRPM. Velociraptor was 15kRPM.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

velociraptors are also 10k, the only consumer well sorta consumer level 15k drives are Seagate Cheetah but they are blood expensive,

17. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I'd buy SSDs with 10k spindle speeds... Spinning chips! Who can resist them?! :p

Tags: Add Tags