1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Cases Mineral oil PC build! Updates every second day!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 21 Mar 2009.

1. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

There there... it will be ok... It is not a second day yet. Djay hasn't abandoned us.

This looks nice DJay, but I suppose I must say, excessive cooling much?

Laz

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Well mineral oil is, mineral oil. In its purest form it shouldnt really matter what brand you get because it would essentially be the same stuff.

You can use pretty much any oil you wish as it wont conduct but its come through that mineral oil is the best stuff to use in the long run!

Yes you are correct, no gfx card and a 45nm chip with a nb that doesnt even create much heat on load...in air. So yes, its excessive overkill to the max. I have a NB block lying around that im going to use (coz its lying around) on the CPU just for the sake of it.

Having a stock cooler sitting in oil isnt going to cut it looks wise and since we arent going for gold on performance here its the least I can do.

Oh and yes I have the client build due for completion tomorrow so im madly rushing to get that done, sorry for anyone who has been waiting around for an update!!! I havent had the chance!

3. lolabunny087

lolabunny087 There's a first time for everything

what brand mineral oil are u gonna use ?
    the best I heard is shell diala AX .. for transformers ..
    or maybe petronas transol 360 ..

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

In 1981 I had the distinct honor of meeting Seymour Cray and interviewing for a career with his company. I was given a privy tour of the facility and a prototype liquid immersed computer.
    A large cylindrical tank for the fluid and a chest high semi circular plexi or glass tank for the electronics. One of the problems he shared was bubbles forming in the fluid and hot spots in the electronics. I cannot find a picture of that prototype anywhere on the web.
    I went with Bell Telephone Laboratories in the end.
    I can appreciate what you have accomplished here. This is very nice.
    I watch.

john

5. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

You serious?! Thats huge man I wasnt even alive in 1981, didnt even hear about mineral oil until 2 years ago I think.

The mod is currently over flowing, in the rain...I cant even work on it atm.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Cray had some off the wall ideas. The fluid tank was about 4' in diameter and 7' tall. Some special fluid that had a really high boiling point. You could mitigate the bubbles caused by the heat by adjusting the fluid. Imagine rows of 2000 mini-ITX sized boards stacked on top of each with a vertical space of a couple inches between. The bubbles would get caught on the bottom of the boards above.

Please remember these were not CPU boards as such but were individual boards of logic chips and gates. A whole whole supercomputer designed with discrete logic chips - NAND gates, And gates, OR gates, Xor gates etc. Boolean logic chips forever. Do they even teach this anymore?

john

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Nope, I havent learnt of these except nand sounds familiar (NAND flash). I havent quite considered bubbles but then again I havent been to my local aquarium shop yet either :p

I just uploaded a video relating to this here build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m_184-5PcM

I installed windows 7 on the drives already and have a further 2 operating systems to install on (ubuntu and vista 64 bit). Triple booting mineral oil overkill :p , I havent tried overclocking the system as of yet because the oc options are pitiful! It allows overvolting by only 150mv....

After my other client build finishes tomorrow ill be able to spend more time on this baby, more updates coming!

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Okay, Im making up for my lack of photo updates.

[​IMG]
    The late yoons arrived, these puppies imo are the best price/performance/sound fans you can get and they look quality.

[​IMG]
    Ac Ryan cold cathodes, all nice and pre-sleeved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fans on the radiator, im well aware that its hunching, it will do this until it is attached to the frame of the case.

[​IMG]
    Until I get a scroll saw, this is as good as I can get with the router :( ......

Okay...I sure hope you guys like photos. Keep in mind that this is ALL RAIN WATER, this is how much it has rained since last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats enough for now, ill resume my updates in two days!

Oh and check out the youtube video about this case. Its well worth the watch (I promise!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m_184-5PcM

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]
    The day started with a new banner, I started with the "epic pc" header as soon as I woke up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As much as this project is overkill on cooling, I decided to go past overkill and sought to make use of a delta NB block I had lying around from the old asus p5k3 days.

I needed to make a 775 holding plate for it so that was first up on the agenda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The NB was looking a bit naked so I embarked on making my first waterblock for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The idea was to have the oil flowing from the cpu directly onto the NB channels.

[​IMG]
    Took a rest and made the top plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NB block mounted.

I did a mock up install to give you guys a better idea of how everything will fit together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until next time!

10. lolabunny087

eh ? .. how come ur putting water blocks on the cpu and nb for a mineral oil pc ? .isn't the whole thing supposed to be submerged and use the oil as the cooling medium ?? .. :( ..are u gonna use water or oil in the tubes ? .. no point using oil coz u know that water has a higher heat transfer than oil ... Hmm ..

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

The thermal capacity of oil is still much higher than air and since its going to be submerged in oil it wouldnt matter in any case. The waterblocks will be running oil and its a mini ATX motherboard, the cooling applied here is overkill and a half as mentioned :p

I just uploaded another youtube vid relating to the last post.
    Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhFj8vPSqEc

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]
    Buwahahaha lighting Cheesecake, Jumped the PSU and tested to see how everything would look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it looks almost finished but im so far from it. I need to create a box on the side that houses the temp gauge, light switch and power button. Inside that box will be all those pesky wires I cant do anything about currently.

On the other side of the case i need to mount a laptop slim drive cdr, then comes the fun part, cable management (facepalm).

13. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

A real nice mod so far. I really like your design and layout, works really well, reminds me on that new Thermaltake prototype limited edition case (I forget the name ATM). I really think the water block on the CPU and NB aren't needed due to the low heat output from the chipset and CPU are using but hey, why not lol. Good luck with the rest of the mod.

14. lolabunny087

it looks wicked !! :rock: :rock:

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks, im not aware of the thermaltake case but im pretty sure my setup will cool better than anything thermaltake has ever produced and without the galvanic corrosion too :p Its an overkill setup for the cooling but hey, this is our demo case so its gotta be epic right :)

Cheers mate, thanks for sticking around even throughout that horrid time I took 4 days to update instead of two haha.

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Okay!

Not only have I been hard at work with the modding side, ive been going hard out trying to make a website to showcase it all.

Heres a sneak peak of whats been going on behind the scenes. The front page pics will change every say 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updates on the oil coming soon!

17. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

For a website front page, you might want to take those pics in a (makeshift) studio, e.g., a large cardboard box painted white, so you can't see any other stuff (junk ;)) in the room?
    Just saying :)

This is looking good! I've been subscribed since day 1 :lol:

18. NightrainSrt4

NightrainSrt4 What's a Dremel?

Yes they do teach this but mostly in upper level undergrad college courses. It was bunched with Assembly in my Computer Architecture and Assembly course. Granted the instructor didn't have much faith in how much use most of the course would be to most of us, but was interesting nonetheless. I wanted to rip my eyes out trying to completely simplify some of those more complicated damn karnaugh maps we used to represent digital logic and circuits.

Very nice mod! Wish some of the plexi edges were a bit cleaner, but it is early in the mod. Then again I've been there trying to get perfect edges and sometimes the time invested just isn't worth the outcome, especially when you've got limited tools and such, at least in my case.

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yeah they do teach it John, I just went through it in my Bachelor of Information Technology degree. We had to run through all those circuits and load registers then command them and all that stuff, pretty interesting stuff, even though my lecturer knows crap all, I learn more from the text book than her 2 hour lectures lol.

20. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Haha nice nice :) I've got an interesting next post seeing as the oil will be going in. Im at the stage where all the rest of the components can be made, washed, dried and installed onto the case with the oil in there already.

Mineral oil is expensive though [facepalm].....:sigh: