1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding A Rather Cool Motherboard Mod.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 31 Dec 2008.

1. steelkane

steelkane It's Not Just A Box

I think it looks good DaMulta, & I'm not a redneck or 14, I just like to see creative & original Mods, no matter how different they are.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dont worry i am sure i can think of another stereotype to fit you in, you dont have to feel left out! lol!

Welcome to the forum, hope you hang around over here.

I have to say its unique, but for actually proof that it lowers temps, think i shall wait for a tech report into it before i go nuts with a spray can. The only way i can think why it works is because it gives an uneven surface on the fins.

However paint would act as a thermal barrier, hence
    You want to stop heat energy from burning you, correct? so you want to stop the transfer of energy. 2nd point, adding a layer of paint will only add an insulating layer on the fins of the cooler.

Maybe your test results of lower temps were a combination of re-seating the cooler with fresh thermal grease, and the spray paint blasting out any dust built up in the fins.

3. xion

xion Minimodder

And here on bit-tech we have found that a cars engine drives the wheels which move the earth backward while the car remains stationary... i'm sorry i had to.

It's a novel idea to paint PCB's and good luck with the project, I know i have an inate ability to stuff things up without trying, so i'd stay away from mods like these but props for taking the plunge.

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Actually they do (Newton says it as well)

5. xion

xion Minimodder

ahh, always in a community of smart-arses there's always one pedant... :D

(wouldn't the resultant effect of all cars be as good as zero unless we're all going the same way at the same time, excluding a whole lotta factors! :idea: lets try it!!! quick everyone, drive east!)

6. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

well done for trying something new.

but, its not my cup of tea.

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Still wouldn't work, the mass of the earth is still millions times more than all the cars in the world put together.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its like the whole question of 'if everyone jumped at the same time, would there be an earthquake'

9. DaMulta

DaMulta What's a Dremel?

I know I expected a few C increase not a bunch.

Noting is hot on the board, NOTING.

The other guy is calming and showing temps differently. Even so that new paste could lower the temps, the temps did lower after paint too. So yea....

I had to lower my voltages from the stable ones I had before. Same clock as before the paint.

What I'm saying about that paint is that its spreading out the heat and sucking it in at the same time. Oven mitts get hot too after a while....heat will work its way out.

It's been running for a week now no issues at all. It makes my motherboard glow and to be I love it. That's what counts in the end. Pics just not do it justice I know that/ Seeing it in person is a whole different ball game.:clap:

10. steelkane

steelkane It's Not Just A Box

Burnout21 pick up issue 65 of CustomPC Magazine in the UK, you'll see my Rig in there, then post my stereotype.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Novel idea - Not one I'd consider (Except maybe that UV pen highlighting the traces on a gpu..). I fell out of love with white mobo's after Sapphire, though, so not my cup of.. Well, anything.

12. Cold Storm

Cold Storm What's a Dremel?

Here is another thing. Before this mod, Damulta hasn't said it, it was on a rack. Case was a thing of the past. Since Damulta is part of team[lit], having it in a case is a pain! lol.. So, everything was dusted quite well and so forth. If you dig a little more in to TPU you'll see the Transformer, due to son, room that just has nothing but computer stuff..
    Now, with the board looking the way it is looking, pop it back in the case and see what you can do with it! Woot, Woot!

Steelkane: glad to see ya on here! Great friend and so forth. Mod on the side panel might be starting this weekend!

13. Johnny Melo

Johnny Melo Baseball exists in PORTUGAL!!!

14. kieran_read

kieran_read What's a Dremel?

I can't say i like it, would be nice if it had more colour too white for me. Would be nice to see capacitors etc in their normal colour.

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

17. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I'd take a clear PCB any day... Imagine that with a clear case.. *drool*
    Or just underlit.. Then trace a bit with a UV pen.. Sicko.. And just what I want..

(Feeling so immature with this post.. But that would be my expression anyways.) :D

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Well PCB's are made of several layers of fibre glass, that old golden colour is the natural resin colour, hence why they now chuck in pigments to colour it.

Also a motherboard's PCB is a multi-layer job, so the tracks for the PCI slots could be in the middle with the CPU, mem, chipset tracks on the bottom layer.

But it would be cool being able to see all the tracks crossing over each other and such, could follow them for hours! lol!

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

We all should spam...errr.... email a motherboard company and tell them we want clear PCBs.

20. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

Wanna be SAPPHIRE motherboard... :p