1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel announces 2GHz Atom Z550

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ooh, 3 Watts and 0.6 Watts (for the Z515). Too bad they're going to pair it with a 30 Watt chipset. :rolleyes:

3. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

unless it's comes in dual core, I don't care.

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Unless they use this - 2.3W :)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Hope so. They're doing some netbooks with that combination, but I would like to see some mATX or mITX mobos.

6. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Im so not impressed.

2Ghz Atom... the previous Atom 1.6Ghz was slower than my ancient IBM thinkpad R50 laptop that had a 1.6Ghz Pentium M chip in it. I bought that ancient piece of junk years ago.

So I really doubt the new 2Ghz model will win any awards for performance either. They may use very little juice.. but boy do you pay for it in the performance loss.

As for Intel not even acknowledging the ION platform... they do this kind of stealth denial for a reason to avoid giving any free publicity to NVidia or the ION platform, which is quite frankly superior to any Atom supporting chipset that Intel have produced. I seriously wish that Intel would just give up on graphics, and concede the fact that they have not once delivered a reasonable graphics chipset in comparison to what their competitors have. That way then world will never again have laptops en mass full of woeful chipsets like the 950/3100/4500.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You're forgetting the 965. :D

I'll agree though, the graphics part on Intel is pathetic but since they love to use their in house boards + their processors(although they're almost always inferior) it'll be a slim chance that they'll ever give up.

I wonder if Larrabee will even succeed?

8. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Both the 35 and 45 Intel graphics chips were greatly hyped, and yet still failed to impress compared to the integrated graphics provided by Nvida and ATI. I don't look forward to Intel's CPU-GPU combos as they have yet to produce a graphics chip which elicits more than a yawn. In fact, at this point I would look at a cpu-gpu combo from Intel as more of a handicap than as a value added feature. I would be willing to pay less for an Intel cpu-gpu combo than I would for just a cpu.

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

I couldn't agree more. Surfing the web, listening to winamp, talking on msn, transport tycoon running, steam loading up, perhaps even pushing the envelope with Team Fortress 2....

Definitely requires dual core. I can't wait for my Ion, and yes, I will buy an Ion with a dual core atom if it's available.

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Chandrasekher... Any relation to actor of the same last name in 'Super Troopers'? Best comedy ever IMOH.

well, the name may be spelled differently perhaps, but it looks similar enuf.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2009
  11. Tim S

Tim S OG

All of the Z-series Atom processors use the US15-series chipsets AFAIK :)

Tags: Add Tags