1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New Phone, BlackBerry Vs new iPhone

Discussion in 'General' started by Slaughter, 14 Apr 2009.

1. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    after years with cheap phones, i am in the market for a phone where i can do everything on the road! Not only call and sms!
    I would like to know what do you think, wait for the new iphone or buy an blackberry that you recommend! :D

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My oldest son has the Blackberry Storm and my youngest has the Blackberry Curve.
    Both are extremely happy with their phones.

john

3. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Yes I know blackberry is making great phones, but what about usability on the road in contrast to iPhone!

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Blackberry is best known for their Email client and keyboard, while iPhone with the apps is best known for its Swiss army knife-like features.

so i'd say an iPhone

5. opal

opal Eh?

In my personal experince Storms are horrible things, if you were to get a BB I would advise the Bold. I have to set them up at work and I despise trying to type on the irritating Storm "clicky" touch screen

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

can you stil only text on the iphone using the small keypad in portrait mode?

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Just wait till June for new iPhone to be announced, current ones will start selling for dirt cheap.

OS3.0 for iPhone is bringing landscape SMS, in June

8. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I'd advise taking a look at the new Palm Pre as well, it's looking to be a very interesting mix between iPhone/Blackberry/Palm, but without the old Palm OS (replaced with WebOS).

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html

With a slide-out QWERTY it's definitely better for a business oriented user (ala. BlackBerry).

Plus the Palm Touchstone wireless charger is sexy :p

Last edited: 14 Apr 2009
  9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I like the Iphone, but I think it's a huge amount of money for what it is, well over here anyway.

10. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Aye I spent £400 on one the other week after I reliased that over 18 months if I bought the 16 gig outright and used a £20 a month sim only O2 contract it would cost the same as getting the 8gig on the £35 a month tariff with the £100 you have to pay for the phone, plus I get more mins and texts.

Depends what your after really I like my iPhone, keyboards a bit hard to type on when your walking but in general its fine and has some good applications. I'd maybe wait till the new G2 is released to see what reviews make of that. But spend your time picking the right phone that does the things you want from it the best.

11. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Just to throw something else in the works. I got a HTC touch hd a couple of weeks back and it's very nice. I personaly think it looks nicer than the iphone, because of it's 800/480 pixel screen. There isn't much it can't do, googlemaps works well with it, has the basic office mobile stuff and you can put gps software on it, like tomtom, works out at a good price if you are allready with orange (costs me £25 per month with ul txts/web and 600mins + £107 for handset -you need to barter a bit with the people in the retention department).

12. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Nokia N97 and the Palm Pre should be released soon. Both are goin to be better than the iPhone... so wait for them :)

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Personally I favour the iPhone over the Blackberry for its sheer multifunctionality and smooth interface. Its form factor is also ubiquitous --it will interface with any iPod dock or system out there, has loads of accessories designed for it and a fast growing app store.

Several reviews have commented on how the iPhone beats the iPhone-a-like Blackberry Storm on interface speed and functionality. The HTC Touch, Diamond and Pro have very slick interfaces also but are again hampered by an unwieldly slow Windows Mobile OS underneath.

Google Android-based phones are promising but still a bit buggy and slow. Best wait for v2.0 --and better designed phones than the T-mobile. I do not expect its app store to really take off before then --although it already has some neat apps that the iPhone doesn't.

The Palm Pre may give the iPhone a serious run for its money and is the only real contender in my book, though we'll have to see how the promising demo models develop into real-life fully functional units.

The 3rd gen iPhone is due to come out next year and is rumoured to have a higher res camera, built-in compass (finally), video recording and thethering --on those networks that support it (probably at a premium). If you can live without those features it means, of course, that you can then pick up a 3G model for a snap.

14. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

I personally love my BB Storm. Yes, it has its quirks, but it was a Bold (teehee) new direction for RIM and they're still kinda working the kinks out. I would not recommend it for business use (nor the iPhone for that matter) simply because of the touch interface. If you're sending emails or texting while doing something else, you will NEED to look at the screen to make sure you're typing what you think you are.

My personal phone is a Storm, and it works very well for what it was meant to do. My work phone is a Curve, which also does exactly what it was made for. The Curve is all business with a little entertainment and the Storm all entertainment with a little business.

If you're looking for a good mixture of the two, I would recommend a Bold any day of the week.

I'm not saying I'm not a fan of certain brands, and I'm really not trying to start a flame war, but suffice it to say there are certain things that "iDislike"

15. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

From what I've witnessed so far I'm waiting for the Pre. That said the iPhone does have a chance to overtake it with the next iteration but Apple are making a habit of letting people down with their announcements at the moment.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the thing most people and reviews talk about is the phone and its base software configuration, eg, what is included with the phone when you buy.

that is true with all the comments above, they are all correct and almost all competitors have good points over the iphone stock configuration, some in hardware and some in software.

but when you add the thousands of third party apps that are available through the Appstore, we are talking about doing anything, anywhere. we are talking about everything on one handhold.

for example: Nokia N97, HTC Touch/Diamond/TouchHD are all resistive touch screens. trust me they suck big time. T-mobile G1 is great, but hardware is too ugly. Blackberry Storm has replaced the tryed and tested BB keyboard with something that is a pain to use. only real iPhone competitor is the next wave of Android phones and Palm pre if they pull the tech demo off

17. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

Ive had the iPhone since it was released, updated to 16GB when it came out and 3G when that did. However, recently i got tired of the touch screen typing. I was looking at something with a qwerty keyboard, but here a blackberry is much too expensive as you pay about 60E a month for two years. I then started looking at the E71 and fell in love. Its awesome, get it :D. Dont have time to tell you all about it now, but its definitely worth checking out.

18. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

You don't have to get a touchscreen phone! The Nokia N79 looks brilliant, and is probably a lot cheaper than the others mentioned here. I think you can get it for £20/mo in T-mobile shops! That might have been a mistake though.

19. Alx

Alx 3²Gaming

I'm personally a fan of the iphone, but the blackberry is good.

20. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Blackberry 8110 is a brilliant little phone... I have a Nokia 5800 and I love it, though the N97 looks very nice