1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel i5 Spec and Pricing surfaced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 18 Apr 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

http://www.techpowerup.com/91499/Core_i5_Specifications_and_Prices_Surface.html

can't wait, the 2.66Ghz at only 196USD, without the need for northbridge on the motherboard and with all feature of i7 (as far as i can see) (except tri-channel DDR3)

that'd hopefully mean: £140 2.66Ghz OC to 4Ghz + £120 for a premium grade mobo + £100 for 2x4GB of DDR3 ==> around £350. well within affordable range (instead of £500 for only 6GB of i7's)

if the timing of its release is good with the amount of pennies i have at that time. i'll probably be the first group of adopters.:rock:

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Wow, these things look very nice. i'm guessing the price will even drop after some time. Quite inviting :)
    But, then again, I'll stay on my current setup, finally got it to work flawlessly :clap: now, just to get a good CPU cooler...
    On the other hand, my friend is looking at getting a new setup... Think I'll convince him to wait till these are out :)

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

If the NB is inside the CPU, won't it be crap to overclock? And you have almost no choice in choosing different NBs as you could with 775.

Personally I think I'm gonna wait 'til the next go-round after the Core i* ranges.
    (Unless some prove to be absolute winners).

4. wyx087

i7's have northbridge inside the CPU, known as uncore, and it overclocked fine.

only technical differences i can deduce from i7 and i5 (please someone correct me):
    -PEG controllers on-chip
    -dual channel instead of tri-channel.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The i7s overlock like crazy, it just makes things a little more complicated to have the NB inside the CPU.

I got my i7 set up this week and though it took me a while to get my head around the methodology of i7-overclocking and handling the uncore, I still managed to get a 4GHz stable clock out of my 920 after only 2 days of tweaking.
    This thing flies.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Mobo will be ~ 150-180 I recon. New technology, new socket, premium over P45 boards and LGA775 that'll have been out for over a year by then and still widely available.

2.66GHz version might not come with HT, so if you care (I wouldnt - quad core is enough) you might want to opt for next one up.

I've heard the mem controller will do 1.8-2GHz but that's real iffy news through the grapevine so take it with a fist-full of salt. No word on QPI freq and IMC freq either yet - both are important to overclockability.

7. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Motherboards will be limited regarding x16 graphic slots - only one (unless another remix)

8. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Have to add VAT and UK rip-off tax to those CPU prices as well:miffed:

9. wyx087

oh yeah.... forgot about that, that + Bindi's estimated mobo price + the need to step up a notch on CPU = nearly £500!

it's actually better to grab Zurechial's setup (with 6GB RAM) now!

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It'll be 2x8.

11. Turbotab

Your Q6600 is still the shizzle, maybe you should wait for the 32nm 6-core Gulftown. Maybe then, the software developers will have improved parallelism, to the point where all those cores/ threads are utilised by all apps.

12. Turbotab

What is actual effect of the fewer pins of LGA 1156 vs LGA 1366. Are there fewer pins, simply because the I5 has fewer memory and graphics channels?

13. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Thanks BiBa, I've read a rumor about at least one x16 slot; two x8? Are we in year 1998 or in 2009?! The actual generation offers two x16 for 120euro (proc. + mothe.); here they fantasy about at least 460 euro for 2 x8. The only general consumer applications in need of power are games. Intel is obviously in need of the content of our wallets.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Less memory - DDR2 is ~ 200 pins per dimm?

Not at all, x8 Gen 2.0 offers plenty of bandwidth for a consumer application. Most people will only use a single x16 channel anyway and more physical lanes = more cost.

15. Turbotab

The only current gen Intel motherboards, apart from the core I7 X58, to offer dual 16x PCI-E 2.0 lanes are the X48 and superseded X38. Neither of these boards had low retail prices.

16. Turbotab

Cheers for the Info Bindi, did you mean DDR3 by the way?, I hope they pay you more for looking after the forums, you seem to be the most active of the Bit-Tech staff on here.

17. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Okey, I've made a projection for the winter. At the moment a good x48-120euro; cheaper ones available. Chips are in 1001 flavor-important / all fully upgradable.

18. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

BiBa, I agree only theoretically. For most consumers is the 775 platform already full power; it is flexible from proc. and dual graphic upgrade (one x16 and x8 at least) point of view. This consumers should pay a 65% price increase for the same performance. A continuing production of x48 and 775proc. Would make prices much lower. So; most consumers will be bereaved. Vista had better theoretical grounds and has failed.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea DDR3 - same pin count.

No more pay :waah:

20. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

After meditating over the entire question I must vouch the inevitable conclusion; core i5 aimes at Apple customers.