1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pirate Bay trial ends in guilty verdict

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Apr 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

How come no one sues Limewire?
    Jeez.

Next up - Google, for 'facilitating' nearly everything, from pedophilia to terrorism.

What a moronic legal precedent.

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I somehow feel that won with this guilty verdict..... the pirate party is growing in power in an exponential form, more than thousand people have gathered in the streets of the Swedish capital Stockholm today, to protest against yesterday’s Pirate Bay verdict, i feel that there will be a major power shift inside Sweden.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well nothing nice to say- it's the one piece of software you'll always find in a mongoloids box

4. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I partly agree with biebep, "stealing music is still illegal", if it sucks, then dont buy it, I dont think just because somethings sucks gives you the right to pirate it right?, if Milk in the grocery was stale, would you steal it? I guess not. if music /software from someone sucks, then just dont use or but it. would be pretty weird if you still wanted to get something like that.

5. IQTRM

IQTRM What's a Dremel?

I find it troubling that noone seems to care that a Swedich court just gave a ruling that is far from legal.
    1. They are beeing convicted of helping a crime without prosecuting anyone doing the actual crime.
    2. They are beeing convicted en masse, wich is illegal in Sweden.
    3. They are beeing convicted wihtout any real evidence. NO, screenshots and theories on how you might use their servers to break copyright is not evidence in legal terms.

If I was one of the judges (or nämndemän) who are responsible for this ruling I would be hiding under a rock because I just set a nice precident saying that if you just make some **** up you can sue anyone, regardless of evidence or proper form.

Sorry to rant but this is'nt about a bunch of whiny publishers or geeky pirates, this is about the whole population of Sweden.

6. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

this will likely be the grounds for their inevitable appeal

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

lets do a little exercise:

i go to the grocery and steal the stale milk, where is the milk?

i go to the grocery and take a picture of the stale milk using a new state of the art sony milk cam 2000, go home, print the data with a HP milk printer device and try out the stale milk, where is the milk?

Can you see the difference? that is the big difference between copyright infringement and theft.

I use current technology on the current socio/economical environment to try out that music/software, i state that it sucks, i don't buy the music/software, the music/software maker states that piracy killed it and shuts its doors. What killed the music/software maker?

With this i am not saying that people should pirate more, i am stating that if people that pirate stuff like the stuff, they should buy it when it reaches their price level.

Piracy is like a cough or a sneeze, its a symptom, you should be looking for the cause, not patching up holes that will reappear with twice the size somewhere else.
    The side effect of the trial's verdict has shown us something interesting, you can not kill the hydra by cutting its heads off, thanks to that effort the pirate party has grown to a size that rivals other parties, public protests are happening and people are pissed off.
    The hydra has grown thousands more heads and is now unstoppable with current "human" methods.

edit: When i say "human" i mean civilized. You could end piracy now by creating a law that allowed police to kill protesters and everyone linked to piracy, on the spot.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Thats why it is called a "right". You infringed on someones elses "right".

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Is infringing on someone else's right theft?

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Is the infringement on someones else rights defensable?

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

could you rephrase the question? i am having a hard time understanding what you are meaning with "defensable".

defensible as in you have the right to protect your right?

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    "How can anyone defend the infringement on someone elses rights?"

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Obrigado.

By apprehending the person that infringed on that person rights and taking the infractor to court where he will have a fair trial according to his local law.

This was also the norm during the days when to have a slave was a right, and the person that took away your slaves was infringing your rights and was taken to court.

Laws change according to social reality, not the other way around.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    De nada.
    You just described the TPB situation.
    Slaves were propriety. Taking them away would be theft. I thought you were arguing that copyright infringiment wasnt theft.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

:thumb:

indeed, i also described the situation of hundreds of millions of other people, that somehow absorb media, that did not purchase a licence to use, these freeloaders can be found in second hand shops, buses hearing another person's loud cd player, being lend or given media in various formats, these individuals should have the same fate as TPB because they are infringing copyright laws.

I was stating that the law is the law, if the law tells you that you are owner of something (intellectual property, fisical property, etc...) you are the owner of said property, if the law states that i can do something that is contrary to what the majority of people feel, then something should change. In this case the people have chosen to make the pirate party bigger and stronger, a change of power will result of this and you will notice that the copyright law will change. (the term "saco de gatos" comes to mind)

Also, the law states that theft is me depriving you permanently from your property, in the case of intellectual property i would have to remove every record of your intellectual property in existence and then open your skull and remove the part of the brain that remembers the property except the part that remembers that you had said property, after that i indicate that your property is mine and start using it.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    None of those copied/replicated the content.
    Dura lex, sed lex.
    " ... if the law states that i can own something that is contrary to what the majority of people feel, then something should change."
    Again, werent you arguing that copyright infringiment wasnt theft?

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I want my HP Cheesecake Printer now, godammit.

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

19. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It seems the time has come to engage in smear campaigns about TPB. I'd never thought The Register would partake so willingly, however...

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So he's a neo-Nazi now? And by downloading any material from "his" non-profit page people support Hitler?
    OMFG!!!!!! :eyebrow:

Tags: Add Tags