1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. Xfab29

Xfab29 What's a Dremel?

hello Cyp'

I'm going to buy an anti vandalism button for my g5 and I wanted to know how did you wire it to you motherboard ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thank you:thumb:

2. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

3. monkey120101

monkey120101 My right hand is a Dremel.

Awesome Job! Your project inspired me to begin a little one of my own, Powermac i7! Check it out :D

4. kaujazz

kaujazz What's a Dremel?

5. Xfab29

Xfab29 What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the answer Cyprio, i will wire mine for cheaper.
    do you know where i can get a male-female psu extension cable that matches the powermac G5 connector size ?

[​IMG]
    thanks

Last edited: 11 Apr 2009
  6. nuclear

nuclear What's a Dremel?

get a c13 to c14 power cable (these are the connector type used)

7. Xfab29

Xfab29 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the reference.
    Last question for Cyprio before the beginning of my mod.

Where did you get that ? (what i'm pointing with the red arrow)

[​IMG]

thank you

8. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

ooh la la, I watched this on OC3D, but it seems to have vanished :)

Subbed.

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I never actually used that in the end Xfab. It's a Mnpctech 80mm Billet Grill. Got from the USA - possibly from Petra, Performance PC's or Frozen CPU.

10. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

hey Cyp, man I absolutely love this case and have lurked it forever.

You have so inspired me that I bit the bullet and got a G5 case this weekend offa ebay. I really hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use your log as the basis for everything that I do, it is so perfect.

in all your pics, I've never seen where your res actually is? I've seen the pumps, but never seen the res? I hope you won't mind, but I may start to send you massive pm's!!

Great job and beyond beautiful case.

11. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks! :) No worries at all about using ideas.

In the initial build i used a tiny res for very small cases. It was located just above the 80mm fan inside the case. With the new simplified loop i will be using a more 'normal' size EK res.

Pm's would probably be better for questions to keep this thread tidy unless you feel others would benefit from reading about methods. If others are anything like me i'm always rather dissapointed when i see a build i am following bumped up only to find it's someone asking a question! :D

For those people who are reading this expecting an update, it's likely that will be a couple of weeks away as im off to Poland for a few days. ;)

Cyp.

12. Zepticon

Zepticon What's a Dremel?

Hi mate:) awsome job there!

Getting a brand new G5 case in the mail in a few days, and wana mod it somewhat like this. My plan is tho to keep the original surface as imo thats what make it so nice!

But, a quick question, do you have any idea how apple made the original finish on the chassi? Is it just sandblasted aluminium?
    It is one of the major issues im runing into in the planning phase, since i can work around everything else but the god damn surface finish! How do i make it look genuine apple G5?

I basicly wana do the same as you, just less hacksaw'ing and a 120fan in the back.
    Gona keep the original PSU position and instead mod my PSU to fit in there.
    Also wana keep the original HDD spots in the top but since i dont have the chassi here atm the plnning is hard!

I know how to TIG-weld so getting it together aint a problem... Makin it look stock is :(

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Welcome to teh forums! There are a few of us here with G5s. Use the search button at the top of the forum and search for G5. You might be surprised.

[​IMG]

14. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

I believe it's beadblasted.

15. Xfab29

Xfab29 What's a Dremel?

hello Cyprio

Could you explain how to remove the front dvd bezel and back locking plate.
    From what i'm seing now , looks like hell to get off and reinstall after.

thanks for the help :thumb:

16. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Zepticon - Hey there, welcome to Bit-Tech.

I honestly dont know how they achieved the external finish, it could be beadblasted as cyberspyder says. I'm certainly no metal working expert and i'm sure others on here know a great deal more about techniques than me. Perhaps post a question in the Modding section? I personally think it would be quite hard to get exactly the same finish using a different back without painting everything the same colour. You might be able to get away with anodising it if you used aluminium to weld with as well? Not sure about this.

Xfab - iirc i removed it knowing that i would install it differently the second time around. In other words i "just ripped it out", making sure not to damage the mechanism though. :) I reinstalled it using the two bolts you can see on either side of it. Just drilled two holes in the plastic and tapped them with an M3 tap to screw directly in. I needed to use spacers to make sure the sliding bezel wasnt touching the inside of the case.

Cyp

ps possible update of the internals today :)

17. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I hope so mate, I can't wait to see what you have done differently.

18. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Just for you then mate. :) Although i cant do much work until some thin (20mm) 120mm fans come this week...

The basic plan is to have the insides as simple (and easily upgradable) as possible. The way i will go about achieving this is to have two L-shaped pieces of black perspex with 90 degree bends in creating an internal 'shell' - covering the case floor, the motherboard tray and exhaust fans, and then up to the 'ceiling', which is the sheet of metal that the PSU and DVD drive rest on.

I got to work shaping the first L shape Perspex sheet today.

The insides as they are now. The fans are normal 25mm thick ones that need changing as they sit higher than the mobo tray and i need them to be flush.

[​IMG]

Makeshift bending machine - rad used for weight

[​IMG]

It needed trimming slightly so I dusted off the dremel

[​IMG]

Very snug fit. The mobo stand offs will peep through the sheet of perspex... after i have figured out how to mark out the holes accurately! I might cut the bottom of the perspex so it goes round only one of the fans, leaving the bottom sheet to cover the top, fitting together like a small jigsaw.

[​IMG]

I will obvioulsy have to cut out 120mm holes for the fans as well

[​IMG]

And very snug to the PCI ports

[​IMG]

More next weekend... i hope.

Cyp.

19. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Nice :) You're gonna remod it? Because of what?

20. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Just the insides... cos i'm a perfectionist and i wasnt 100% happy with it. :)

Cyp.