1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming 30 PC Games to Play Before You Die

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Apr 2009.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Um. I really think EVE Online isn't so much a game. It's a second job. That you have to pay for. :wallbash:

2. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

If I only have 30 days to live there is only one game I am going to play.... Oregon Trail 2!! :D

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I dont completely agree with that list but I would say for Counter Strike it should be for 1.6 not source that was when it was at its prime and awesome, source is good but I dont think it will ever be like back in the day with 1.6

4. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Totally agree with Planescape torment. Truely unique in the rpg genre. Would have included the following in my list.

Giants: Citizen kabuto
    Battlezone 2
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3
    Masters Of orion 2
    Spellforce 2
    Mass effect
    Age of empires 2
    Wing commander (all of them,just for the cheesy cut scenes)
    Company of heroes
    The Witcher
    Wolfenstein- Enemy territory
    Supreme Commander
    Duke Nukem:D

5. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

You're wrong about Starcraft.

That is all.

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Grand Prix Legends Cheesecake!

I've only played two on that list. GPL and Operation Flashpoint.

7. pd_THOR

pd_THOR What's a Dremel?

X-Com

I didn't so much read the article as I kept clicking "next" waiting to find X-Com. I didn't, and am therefore confused.

- THOR

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Every person with a PC in primary school had a GB emulator and pokemon installed. I'm not exaggerating. Sure it's not a PC game as such, but there's never been any other point where I've known people irrespective of gamer status to be interested in one game. There was a real sense of community, not online for once.
    Also Age of Empires 2. A classic., though not a personal favourite of mine but it is still all a lot of otherwise non gamers play, simply because it was so big when they were children.
    This article makes me really sad I never got my copy of bloodlines working. Would crash on start up... Maybe it's time to try again, have a new system etc. Would it work in Vista 64bit?

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

RA2 does belong on the list. Maybe just not in place of StarCraft

7 years later you send your first post. Impressive !

10. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

Let's see what I have...

Deus Ex (waiting to install)
    Grim Fandango (fell foul of a save bug that was supposed to be fixed in a patch)
    Grand Prix Legends (awesome. I wish I could dedicate more time to it and my Sidewinder wheel was compatible with Vista)
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

I had a read through the posts earlier and I don't think it's been mentioned, but that isn't an original GPL screenshot, it's had a few mods applied including the GPLEA cars.

11. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

Elite?

12. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Worms Armageddon? Possibly the best game to play in a group, particularly if you're drunk.

Battlezone should have been on there too IMO and I definitely think Total Annihilation surpassed RA2, even more so when you downloaded extra units.

Moriquendi

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

RA2 was awesome, yes, but, you left out the fact it had the BEST expansion pack to any C&C Title, Yuri's Revenge had everything that was great about RA2, and then added more madness. But, why oh why did you use a picture from either a Non UK build, or a pre-release build, Nuke silo's open out sideways revealing the nuke, Iron Curtain doesn't look like that in game.
    People are mentioning COD4 for the list, however, i think that it was far more of a success on the 360 than it was for PC, which is why it possibly didn't enter this chart.

Still, interesting selection of games from yourself, sad thing is, i play so little games and just stick to what i know, i couldn't write a list of 30 games for PC, haha

Sam

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

lol 2002 account only one post ? (guess accounts do not expire on here ) then agane i have done that on one other web site i cant think off that was 5-4 years old and made first post (must of made account and never posted :p )

15. Renincuente

Renincuente What's a Dremel?

Well I mostly agree with the list, there are some I never played, but well for a list of "games you should play before you die" I would add:

1)Neverwinter Nights 1 (It's almost a shame it wasn't included, see below why): Although the original campaign was not of the liking of hardcore games it was not bad and for starters in the RPG world is a fine one I think, and overall is very enjoyable. Also the 2 expansions are very good, specially the 2nd one.

But the real strength of the game is its modding capability. From the technical viewpoint, the system design is a jewel, in my humble opinion. In contrast with the "Elder Scrolls way of modding" in which content is always added to the same world , mods in NWN are independent,each an entirely new adventure in its own particular environment, so you can have a lot (and i mean A LOT) of different experiences and enjoy a different story with each mod. They also allow the inclusion of new content for these adventures and even the total twisting of the normal rules of the game so some modders did a lot of innovative stuff, and well you can enjoy the talent of game building and storytelling of many different people (there are really good cool stuff there, much better than the scripts and crafting of many movies). Even more, due to its RPG nature almost all of these mods are highly re playable, as choosing a different class each time can offer a total different experience.

2)Also would add The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, despite its flaws, (specially the dialog system). But no other game has given me a higher degree of immersion and freedom of play. For my taste, not even Oblivion with its much improved graphics ,could achieve the atmosphere that Morrowind has.

3) Unreal Tournament (I and the most recent III): Just the best arenas and bots, period. At the time of the original UT, Quake III Arena was also nice, but nah... UT was better. And now UT III offers the most dynamic combat ever made.

4)Carmageddon I & II: I Never really liked the cars games... What's that about of being driving in circles to pass the others and not get passed from race to race again and again and again? That's what most car games are, there are hundreds and all are the same. Well not these ones, I'm glad one day I put my hands on these ( "Deathtrack" was an interest attempt on its moment, but no way) .There's nothing like going into a race in which you can forget about the circuit to literally crush your opponents... and people , dogs cows and everything that moves around...and not only that but also to get bonus for artistic impression if the nice old lady you just hit crosses flying over your car, or barbecue bonus for throwing flames on them, and things like that. Much funnier than any NFS

Shame that the third edition lose all that spirit(Carmageddon TDR 2000 ...the blood was green...what was that?)

5) Heroes of Might and Magic III-V: If you are into turn based games,strategy and RPG, HoMM has it all and starting from the III edition it is a must.

Many people criticized the HoMM IV for its departure with the previous game style (mainly the fact of the hero being physically in the battlefield, and the possibility of having an army of heroes only and no creatures), but I liked it too: it was just a different way of doing it and it was as good as the old one (although the AI was crap). And HoMM V, well, after a non very happy launch with a shameful 1.0 version full of bugs has been redeemed via patches and its now a solid recreation of the HoMM III style, renewed with gorgeous graphics and a much improved skill system than its predecessors. Don't miss the expansions(at least those for HoMM III and HoMM V).

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I wouldn't know about most of the games, because I've only been following games industry on this millenium. Sure I played games already in 90's, but mainly just Carmageddon 2 and Action Quake 2. It was funny you should mention weirdly active Quake 2 modding community, because I still know people who play AQ2, and I used to play that actively just a couple of years ago. Friends would mock me for having the fastest rig and playing a game that looked like colorful poop :)

I also don't give a flying sausage about adventure, RPG, MMOs, or just about any other games either. Nice list, but just not my cup of tea. Good to see Portal, Ep2 and Civ4 there, though, those really rocked. I WOULD have expected to see a WW2-shooter-of-choice there as well, just because there are so crazy many of them and surely one of them has to be half decent. (CoD:UO remins my WW2-FPS of choice. But maybe it's just my opinion and my passion to shoot people in the face online...)

Also you're a bad person if "Would you like to sign this petition" makes you crack up. I lol'd like a retard when I first heard that after coming to an English-speaking country...

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Aye, i know about the PC part, but they are all computer games (aside thunder force 3 and the immortal). And if i wait for computer games to leave my thought i would died in wait :D

Also Worms Armaggedon, X-COM...

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Starcraft?.. Postal 2 doesn't even deserve to be anywhere on that list, GTA pretty much covers the point you wanted to make.

TBH Vampires: Masquerade: Bloodlines (whatever the name is) really was a pretty garbage game, I bought it just through the recommendations from Bit, and I didn't enjoy it one bit.

19. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

With the exception of TF3 and The immortal (wich was a GREAT game by the time) all other games are for computer, and THEN ported to consoles. And Nemesis, salamander and the likes of that played much better in the computer. Perhaps xevious was better in the consoles I must admit.

Well remebered: dungeon Keeper :D Great game! Grabriel Knight and Phantasmagoria... yuk.. Hitman: blood money and thief great stealth games but Metal Gear was the first one. But i guess you are right, Hitman is better. Just remembered two really interesting. Made huge succes by the time: The seventh Guest and The Eleventh Hour, not sure it would get onto that list either, but very fun nonetheless...

You think fade to black was awfull? It had a nice story, LOTS of possible moviments for the time of its release, fully 3d and a huge game. 1995... IT IS a classic!

What about Doom and castle Wolfenstein?

All those are marks on history. Not "Out of this world" but ok on serious sam and postal? Postal just beacuse its imature and retarded? Nothing really innovative on those.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can safely say that I've played all of those, bar GPL. I've seen my uncle play it, and yeah. That game is not for me. I like going sideways, but only if it isn't followed by a colossal cock-up, which looks like it'd happen all too regularly.

Now, I think I need to go install Lemmings again..

Tags: Add Tags