1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which screen would you pick?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eUphoria, 22 Apr 2009.

1. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

I'm looking to get a monitor and am choosing between these two: 24" Iiyama Prolite E2407HDS or the 24" Dell S2409W - Dell is a little bit more expensive but not a lot. Anyone got either of these? Pleased? I'm going to use it for the usual blend of internet/games/work - plus will have the 360 through it

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yuraku 24" is a great model if you can find it although I'd check some reviews on it.

3. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Bit-tech is adwising Hp lp24757; it is very cheap in UK so you'll profit. Tftcentral has in deep technical review about it confirming excellent bit-tech advice.

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

why don't you look at zalman's 3d monitors

5. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Although, as I can say from experience - it isn't guaranteed that you'll get a PVA screen.

I'm not disappointed with the TN version as £160 for a 24" was a fantastic deal even if the colours or black level aren't anything to write home about.

6. eUphoria

Thats great - thanks for the suggestions. Where did you get the yuraku digby? I'm looking at getting one from aria for the simple reason that I can pay for a pixel check - It would drive me mad to have a stuck dead pixel(s)!

7. Sir Digby

I got mine from Aria too

I actually got 2 TN panels - the first screen was a TN panel but had to be returned, the replacement screen was also a TN panel but was obviously one that someone had opened and returned, quite possibly because they realised it was a TN panel - so I can't comment on the overall likelihood of getting a TN panel

But I can fully recommend Aria for it's customer support, it was excellent!

Edit: I'll just go out and mention that I'm really not an expert on picture quality and I've only ever had TN lcd's - so although I was happy with the picture quality I don't know if you would be...

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My friend did get a stuck pixel (and a TN panel :duh:) so I can see what you're worried about. Aria do the best deals on it as well, mine was £166 inc delivery, but they don't always have it in stock.

It's a fantastic monitor even with the TN panel (which might as well be PVA from what I've heard) especially at that price. I'm considering getting a second.

@Sir Digby: I'm interested, how good is the TN panel in your opinion?

9. eUphoria

Ah - will look at them on aria now. I've only ever ordered screens from aria before - purely because of the pixel check. Seems silly that other retailers dont do the same as I generally buy everything else from scan...

10. eUphoria

aria only seem to have 17" and 19" - back to the original thoughts i think

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

If you're prepared to wait they usually get a set in every month on special offer.

12. Sir Digby

From what I can tell it seems like a good TN panel but I've never seen a PVA panel so can't really compare it...

...but subjectively speaking
    • gaming is very nice, no problems with it being too dark/light or missing dark details (Left 4 Dead is fine)
    • contrast - lagom test - all colours distinguishable, although only just in the 30-32 range
    • black level - lagom test - all patches distinguishable and different down the 5, then down to 1 when looking down at an angle
    • white saturation - lagom test - patches up the 252 distinguishable and different, 253 just barely
    • gradient - lagom test - really fantastic, no banding
    • inversion - lagom test - 4b flickers, this is also noticeable on the background of some websites
    • viewing angle - not too bad from the top and sides, but don't expect anything amazing and I have noticed that it does loose a small amount of detail even from a small angle off centre
    • text - from school work and websites text is very nice on the eyes and easily readable

finally...
    • the one thing I hate about the image is when there is a full black screen (e.g. when windows is loading) the screen is no where near fully black, but once your using the screen with images on it the blacks look fine (e.g. the black in this wallpaper looks fine http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/1093/prehistoricana.html)

Hope this helps, and you may be able to get better results with calibration.