1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Nice headphones?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tec_, 16 Apr 2009.

1. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

all right guys i had a set of sony headphones that i had for almost 6 years that i loved and accidentally i stepped on and destroyed, i replaced them with a set of scull candy headphones that i am less than impressed with.

im not going to lie i don't know the first thing about buying headphones ive done some looking around and i love what the AKF K 701 looks like and from the reviews it has some incredible sound it is on the high end of my price range to say the least.

so any suggestions would be great and tips on what to look for.

thanks!

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Sony MDR-V6 for something lower in price. The AKG 501's are much better than the 701's IMo.

People generally don't follow the reccomendation for the MDR-V6. They generally prefer much lower quality phones from Senn. (Exception of the hd580 and up).

3. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

why would that be do you think?

4. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

ExtremeTech just did a piece on a set of Phiatons (not a brand I'd heard of, either), and basically came away saying that it was far and away the best set they'd ever tested, including many sets that were much higher in price.

Not that it's cheap, though, and it doesn't look like it's technically been released yet. But I'd venture a guess that it's at least worth considering.

- Diosjenin -

5. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

in the same pricerange as the k701, i find the hd650 is just better. If you insist on the akg though, try the K702; removable cable is much more convenient.

of course, neither will sound too good unless you have proper amplification.

6. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

K701/702 require very good amplifiers to drive properly, fwir. If you're going to be running them straight out of your sound card or mp3 player, I would go a bit lower end and easier to drive. I can recommend the Alessandro MS-1 or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, both of which are less than $100 and very nice.

It might be tempting to splurge for a really high-end (HD650, HD800, K701/2) headphone, but remember that there are severely diminishing returns, at least in my opinion, and better headphones will require better amps to operate to their full potential.

7. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

i doubt that i will be getting a amplifier, so any more recommendations towards the lower end?

8. sheninat0r

Definitely take a look at the two I just mentioned, and check out head-fi sometime if you can; there's usually lots of good recommendations on there. Based on what I've seen, good no-amp-required phones include the lower end of the Grado lineup. The SR-60i and SR-80i are less than <$100 in the States but nearly impossible to get overseas; the Alessandro MS-1 is made by Grado and based off the SR-125i, but at the price of the SR-80i, and as an added bonus is available from $99 with international shipping straight from Alessandro. You can also look at some lower-end Sennheisers, but no specific model numbers avail me at the moment.

Koss PortaPros and KSC75 are great and cheap. KSC75s go for around $20 or less, sometimes down to $5 on sale, here in most Radioshacks. Every headphone listed so far, minus potentially Sennheisers, is an open-backed headphone, meaning that music will leak out and outside sound will leak into your music. The Denon AH-D1000 and AH-D1001 are closed-backed, and will block more sound and leak little, making them better for public use.

If you want more detailed impressions on sound, comfort, etc, then definitely read head-fi for a few days, as they will be able to give you much more information than I have here.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Owner of the denon AH-D1001s here. For closed back headphones, they really don't block much sound at all. They don't let a lot of sound out, though, but don't buy them if you want them to block outside sound - you'll be disappointed. Nice sound though, although for long listening sessions can get a bit sweaty. If you're planning on wearing them for long periods, avoid 'pleather' earpads.

The MDR-V6s have a pretty legendary reputation. People new to looking for a decent set of cans tend to steer clear due to the "because they're sony" and "sony don't make 'proper' headphones, do they?" syndrome. For the price they're darn near impossible to beat.

I'll throw my other pair down as a recommendation too - the sennheiser HD595s. you can get them for about £70-80 if you shop around, and if you don't mind open backed i find that they offer a great sound.

10. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

For in ear solutions I'd recommend shure - i've got the se210's and am very pleased with them. Not bad for noise blocking either

11. rolly74

rolly74 Digital Marionette

- Koss PortaPro Headphones
    - Shure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphones
    - Bose QuietComfort 3
    - Jabra BT8030 Bluetooth headphones/speaker
    - Audeo Perfect Fit Earphones with Microphone

12. sheninat0r

QC3, really? I think even the PortaPros would spank it in sound quality any day. I have compared KSC-75s and QC3s side by side, and the overpowering bass of the QC3 made them muddier than mud compared to the el-cheapo KSC-75.

If you want sound isolation, definitely get IEMs. They don't require batteries, sound better than Bose, and isolate better than any active noise canceling headphone.

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

the bose QC3s have the nickname 'fart cannons' among headphone communities :D

really. if anyone ever recommends bose to you with a straight face, do yourself a huge favour and laugh at them, turn around, and walk away. far, far, away.