1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FYI I'm playing more with overclocking today. I know this CPU will do more - I just have to work out how to keep it cool.

These guys are hitting 4Gs on air at 30C? I don't understand how because I'm hitting 65C easy with a £70 cooler - I know it's temperature that's limiting my overclock.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222769

3. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Is the temp monitor in Overdrive accurate?, you assume that it would be, given that it's a native AMD app, still I'd like to see what temps, HWmonitor or coretemp would record.

Hopefully, AMD will reduce the price of the 955, as they did with the other Phenom IIs, soon after launch.
    However such policies do not help their financial health, and we all know, deep down that Intel can easily bump the clock speed of the 920 and even reduce the price, if it wants to really hurt AMD.

The new DO I7, seems to be an even better overclocker on air, than before. The Phenoms do seem to the best extreme OCing CPUs, but if AMD wants to remain in business, where the hell is their Atom competitor?

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

any word on a AM3+ matx m/b?
    hope Asus do a ROG version ale Rampage II Gene

5. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

why isnt there a qx9770 is those benchmark or at least a Q9650

6. Denis_iii

looks like he's using a lapped true and lapped cpu but that wouldn't account of r 20-30 degrees diff your seeing?

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

If you look through the thread he later hits 4,7Ghz at exactly 0C, so the temp monitoring software has to be broken.

8. Denis_iii

he OC'd with Air, LN and Phase change, if you read he says which results are from which

9. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

The post also mentions LN2, that could account for the wierd temp readings of the really high overclocks.

10. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

@Bindibadgi

If it's of any help I've yet to see any software give an accurate temperature reading from my 720be. The value presented by AsusProbe looks plausible but the default 'cpu' reading of all other software looks wrong. Maybe just my mb.

In the search for 4G the first step is to get rid of Vista64 (XP64). I've read good things about Win7 64 but your best bet is XP32.

Also remember On Air can mean: in a case; on a test bed; on a test bed right next to a monster air conditioning unit. etc. From what I've seen chew* is usually straight up about any additional 'measures' so good luck, keep us posted :)

I'm so tempted to buy a 955 and join in the fun

Last edited: 23 Apr 2009
  11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not in the same price range.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Bit confused here, surely the upgrade path for AM2+ owners is to keep dropping in AM3 processors? sure you don't get DDR3 but how much do you really loose? Someone like me with an original Phenom can just drop one of these new babies in and reap the performance and OC benefits right?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No that was wrong actually - Athlon AM2+ CPUs are being released but no new Phenoms are being launched on AM2+. I will correct.

Sandy - AM2+ CPU owners can't drop their CPUs into newly designed AM3 boards. However, owners of current AM2+ motherboards can drop AM3 CPUs into them.

If you have an original Phenom you cannot drop it into an AM3 motherboard. But you can buy an AM3 CPU today and upgrade your current AM2+ motherboard with this CPU.

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Cool thats all I need to know, my AM2+ SLI system will keep me going for some time, a most cost effective path for me. :cooldude: no real benefit to DDR3 but another Ghz CPU speed never hurts :)

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea that would be great. I've got the .131 beta BIOS that's a great overclocker but out of three CPUs Im stuck at 3.8GHz :miffed:

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

There is already a new world record with the 955BE running on almost 7Ghz on LN2. I should at least hit high 4Ghz on water alone i hope ;)

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

On a good water you should hit 4.5GHz - it's just about keeping it cool, that's all. The problem with AM2+/AM3 is that the bloody memory slots are so close and the cooler orientation is only in one direction, limiting what combinations of memory and heatsinks we can use :( waterblocks being low profile dont have this issue.

19. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

4.5GHz eh? 955 on route :) I'll be in touch lol

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Just found a PC here at work that will let me on here.

Boost the PLL voltage in the BIOS, as well as the NB by at least .1v even if you're multiplier OCing. Seems to have something to do with the IMC.

Also, my best clocks are on BIOS 1.1, the beta BIOS blew for OCing.

Those clocks were at 1.475v, any more and thermals got out of control. My chip is a monster, though, so it might just be me.

Tags: Add Tags