1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Core i7 a waste of money for gamers, says Nvidia

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Apr 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

last year, they said e5200 is enough, this year, e8400. so in that logic, next year would be one of the i5.

therefore, following their logic of need to upgrade CPU every year. getting i7 now, and then only upgrade GPU makes more sense money-wise.

2. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

before i even read this article,

could i make a request to bittech staff?

clickable to make big pictures in your articles? the graph is pretty small... and hard to make out.

*goes to read article*

3. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

How do the two compare when you do other things while gaming like rip and encode MP3s from CDs and the like?

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Why would nVidia care about that? There's no CUDA app to do that anyways. ;)

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

AMD/ATI anyone?

6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

ME! FOREVER! EVEN IF IT'S CRAP! YAY!

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Fanboys... gotta love them. :D

8. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

$800 difference? Are they comparing retail i7 prices to cheapest they can find core2 prices? From what I've seen the difference between bargain hunted i7 920 vs bargain hunted E8400 would be about $120 on the CPU, $100 on the motherboard, and RAM is actually about the same now (unless you want super low timing). Even if I throw another $80 in there, that's still only $300. If I didn't already have a Core2 system and was building an upgrade from scratch then I would definently go i7.

9. ForumNameHere

ForumNameHere What's a Dremel?

yeah, i think that s3v3n is right. This, like most things, is relative. i just upgraded to an i7 920 system from an AMD AM2 platform over the holiday season. I considered an LGA775 platform, but figured that would be out of date sooner. I put up a bit more cash guessing I'd save some later. If you've got a core2 system, going out and buying all new kit might not get you the performance boost you spent money hoping to have, but i think that there ARE scenarios where buying an i7 system not only makes sense, but could help save some money if you like upgrade with any regularity.

10. Marsolin

Marsolin What's a Dremel?

Of course the 3D Mark CPU score shows the rosiest picture, but Nvidia is looking for what fits their conclusion too. If you look at a recent game benchmark like Far Cry 2 there is a big difference. According to a recent Anandtech review (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3551&p=14) the Core i7 920 is 60% faster than the Core 2 Duo E8200.

Granted that is a specific benchmark, but what it shows is that as new game engines get released with more multi-threading there is a big gaming benefit to be had. It all depends upon whether you are looking at what is out now vs. what is coming.

Chad
    http://linuxappfinder.com
    http://feedsanywhere.com

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

my Q6600 G0 at 3.6 is still running solid for almost 3 years now on my P35.... unfortunately its not an SLI board, but my 8800GTS640 is still rocking just fine. when i need an upgrade, i'll throw $250 to swap it with a geforce275. problem solved.

i7 is still a waste of money IMHO. i'll wait till they drop the mobo price....

12. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

intel vs. nvidia round 305. FIGHT!

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

this is old news in the ocing community.. after seeing the numbers on the oc'd 920 vs. an oc'd c2d even the old e6600 XD- there wasn't really a jump to justify cost.. the memory bandwidth on the i7 is insane though- and if you didn't already have a c2d gaming rig.. it might be worth going for the 920

14. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

What about when gaming and multitasking? I always leave at least one VM machine running when I game on my i7/285 with no impact.

I bought my i7 to last a few years and if I have spare CPU cycles now, thatis what I wanted :)

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the old q6600 will handle your multitasking.. vista balances across cores also- running a quad on xp your better off with a cox.. gaming the c2d dual cores oc'd are still up there

16. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Gotta love nVidia's smack talk, they really are the rowdy little jack russel of the pc component industry.

17. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

He's technically right, but until NVIDIA decides it gives a **** about the people who buy two of their graphics cards and start making the SLI drivers as good as the regular ones, I'll stick with a single card thanks.

18. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 24 Apr 2009
  19. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

okay ive read the article
    but here is an issue that i see
    there isnt a game that is on the market that uses all of the cores
    so how can we expect to see a jump in performance while we are gaming
    when all of the cores arent being used

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Well it's sort of strange, but it seems that at the moment, Intel's the only game in i7 town, and the option there for nVidia's involvement comes through NF200 chips. The one thing I really wonder about their system configurations, though, is why they gave the i7 machine just 4gb of ram. It's TRIPLE channel guys.

Tags: Add Tags