1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screw it, next election im voting Lib Dems...

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Solidus, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I cannot place any faith in the current government, labour have long since sold out the very people they were created to help; The working Class.
    I believe in a fair government...but when you get MP's abusing tax payers money in such ridiculous fashion, Jack straw spends hundreds of thousands on "paintings", Jaque smith and her husband watching p0rn and claiming £116'000....(imagine how many peoples tax money it took to accrue that much ) and other horrible failings...I think its time to look at a new direction.

I voted for them the last two elections because I thought they could bring about positive change...not anymore.

The conservatives...I remember when they were in power...Life was horrible. When I came to the UK as an infant, they ruled supreme and money was very hard to come by....my parents worked hard to try and get us from nothing to working class citizens and I dont think I can support a party which was founded on the ideology of helping the rich over the poor...That would create choas in this country...

Lib Dems...I never took them seriously, they most likely wont do well...but they use to be a big power in the 1930's....They have solid values and I can actually agree with them...I think its time for a new direction, something totally different and come next election...Im going to vote for them regardless of them not having a great chance of winning.

Does anyone else feel like Labour vs Conservatives is like choosing between two equal evils?

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

it does pretty much seem that way now, major policies appear to be stolen off each other and no one holds their ground on ideas anyway. Next election i'm going to be paying a lot more attention to individual policies instead of just skimming the crap thats on tv

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

If you go to the Conservatives' website and read their policies, a lot of them are more left-wing than Labour's. For example, they want to increase inheritance tax. On top of that, their health policy sounds very similar to the Lim Dems'. Whether they'd actually deliver is another matter though!

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

tbh I've always been a tory voter and at a time like this you need a Conservative goverment, theres going to have to be public sector cuts or at least a stop in the increase of spending just to balance the books. Labour are living in a strange world throwing money around like it don't matter.

I'll check Lib Dem policies, because even though I've always voted tory I'm always open minded about who I'll vote for.

5. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I work in the public sector and I find it a tough pill to swallow that many of us will be facing the potential of redundancies now especially as they save the private sector but now throw the public workers, who have worked hard and delivered well out to dry.

I dont see why the public sector has to suffer because of this.

How about demolishing the 2nd home expenses and libertys they themselves get for a start and work from there...

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Were you aware that on average, public salaries increased last year while private sector salaries decreased by several percent? And that most redundancies were (and still are) in the private sector? Also, who's to say public employees work any harder/fairer than people employed by private companies? Oh, and Brown is reforming/removing the second home allowance.

7. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

Way ahead of you on voting. The only thing worse than the bull coming from Labour is the Conservatives pretending they'd be doing anything differently.

Never trust them.

I understand that Blair's father was a member of the Conservative party and young Blair decided to go the other way and join Labour. He ended up as just another rebellious son turning out exactly like his dad, but he had to take the whole party with him.

8. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

This is typical Labour happens every time they get power, was like this at the end of the 70's and I'm sorry but the public sector is a gravy train, the only saving the goverments done to the private sector is to the banks which needed doing or they truely would have been a collapse.

Public sector pay has gone up, when private sector has been frozen or cut and if the goverment did do it they'd all go on strike and tbh its a joke. Its run under the unions control the public sector isn't held to account in terms of pay, expenditure then you all go on strike if you don't like it when everyone else suffers.

Private sector and private pensions have been decimated in a big way but the civil service is fine cause the public bank roll it. I mean you say it's not fair but it isn't fair on everyone else who has to take a hit.

Yes expenses should be sorted but thats a seperate matter to what your saying.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Then again, public sector employees earn at least half of what private sector employees earn. I'd like to know which double university degree candidate with six years' professional training in the private sector earns as little as equivalently qualified health professionals do. I'd like to know if they do without their own desk, let alone without an office.

Quit your whining. Public sector pay has gone up just to remotely approach private sector pay. Otherwise nobody would do the job anymore. Thevreason we have a shortage of nurses is that the private sector pays better wages for easier jobs with less grief.

10. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

The sector I work in is recognised as the best within the other 42 public areas. Consistantly coming #1 and has been for many years, this is how I know we work hard.

As for salaries going up; our pay didnt rise for two years (not even for inflation) up until about 3 months ago when they decided to offer us a slight increase which didnt even keep up with inflation over the two year period - no where even close...considering the jobs we do where we work with murderers, rapists, peadophiles, drug users, mental health sufferers, people with seriously dangerous issues - I dont see why we shouldnt have the pay we are promised? And it was agreed before hand and then suddenly when it came to deliver we were ignored.

And as Nexxo has mentioned, the public sector pay may have gone up tiny amounts but in comparison the private sector is paid a hellava lot more - So I dont see how your reasoning is sound?

The private sector is losing jobs yes, and I agree the banks should have been saved...but not at the expense of others who are also within important public sector roles.

It doesnt work quite like that - The Criminal Justice System doesnt get an endless supply of taxpayer money, it gets a certain amount and that needs to be spread among the 5 areas, courts, prisons, police, probation and youth service.

You decrease the amount, which is whats being done now, and peoples jobs have to go from all over.

But your right though, everyone is being hit and the public sector is no different - I just dont see why integral parts like the CJS should be hit, thats as important as the banks perhaps if not more in cases.

11. Major

Major Guest

It will always be Labour, and it'll never change, the UK is a Labour country imo.

And those polls that they put up on TV regarding popularity just don't cut it, I just don't think any other party has any chance unless they gave every single member of the public £10,000 to vote for them.

:p

12. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

13. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Logically, given people are already voting for them, wouldnt you only need to give £10,000 to enough people to push your margin over 50%. I mean thats a lot more practical than handing out £600 billion (not that governments crap money out at random to a pointless cause ever...

14. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

i love how the us government effectively gave the banks a blank cheque but won't stump up the funds for public healthcare.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

We'll never have a conservative goverment at the moment, becuase when it comes down to it, they are still seen as the 'upper class' party, so Joe blogs won't vote for them.

16. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

So why did everyone vote for Boris over Ken?

17. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Well, my plan is to start my own political party and win the election :p

I would be offering an increase in public sector wages (police, NHS, etc), cuts in red tape, a FLAT RATE for MP's expensives, distancing the country from America's more aggesive policies and most importantly of all: Putting poeple who actually have a clue into power (eg: putting a doctor in charge of helping to update NHS guidelines and targets)

Well, thats what I would LIKE to do. But I would never get in. And I also have no idea how you offically set up a political party.

But my question is: Would you vote for me. The Party For The Application Of Common Sense.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

19. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

You'll have my vote!

20. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Inevitable, that interest in the Liberal Democrats should recur whenever the worst economic crises follow orgies of obvious corruption. Let's hope our reemerging collective workforce won't consist of fourteen-year-olds this time.

The question I'd pose is whether you feel Liberal Dems hold a prayer of winning. If so, then I'd support them. If not, then I’d have to resign myself to voting against Conservatives by voting for Labour. If one citizen lives who'd have died but for some insultingly slight difference in policy, then from a purely altruistic point of view, compromise seems necessary and humane.

(Viewed from work, Mankz, your insert is a sign asking us to download a plugin.)