1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Eidos shows lifetime sales for Tomb Raider series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Like I've said in the Gaming section, to me the first game was the absolut best. It just desperately needs a D3D (or OpenGL) front end. Right now you'd have to play it in software mode or dig out a Matrox Mystique or a 3DFX Voodoo of sorts.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Apr 2009
  3. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

The first was the best but the second was my favourite, because I was just the right age where I had to get OBSESSED with a game beacuse I wouldn't be able to afford a new one until the next birthday/xmas

4. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I'm afraid this series doesn't get the credit it justly deserves and after all these yrs it is still making
    a reasonable profit which backs up my statement, that said the first is my favorite but for eye candy
    you can't beat the last one. am patiently waiting for the next installment.

5. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

For TR I you can use a DX glider... Glidos is one, if I remember right... a Russian made DirectX glide system that enhances graphics... not very much but it looks a better and there are also fan made hi res texture packs for that system, TRX or something like that. A few years ago I've stumbled upon them... back then they were like 75 to 90 % complete... who knows, maybe by now, every texture in TR I was updated.

6. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah.. and there was also a Hungarian glide system... just forgot its name.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I only played the first 2 games. then the boobs got smaller, you see what happens next..

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Install a glide wrapper and you're good to go.
    Glide may be dead, but it's not lost to us. :)

9. sear

sear Guest

Actually from what I've seen, they only got larger as time went on. The first Lara Croft is probably the most "realistically"-proportioned.

I can say that I've never bought a Tomb Raider game, though I did play demos of the earlier games a little bit. I got Angel of Darkness included in a 3D card bundle, as well, and I played it for about five seconds before realising it was ****, and never touched it again. Anniversary and Legend are much, much better games because they're actually contemporary in design and controls and all that, but still a bit bland and uninspired, like Zelda, but made by heartless automatons.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the suggestion to try a Glide wrapper. Hadn't thought of that.

On a separate, but still related, note: Could someone point me to a place in the UK, where I can obtain the collector's edition of TR: Anniversary (for PC). I want that version pretty badly. It's basically the only reason I haven't bought Anniversary yet. Yes, I'm a bit of a TR afficionado... ;)

11. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Hello all - CPC refugee here - Tr2 was my favourite of the series (including the recent ones). The only TR game i never played was angel of Darkness (luckily) - I though TR Underworld was pretty good - probably the best out of the 'next gen' TR.

12. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Hmm i think anniversary was quite good. Much better than angel of darkness. But even liking the TR series, since the second one i never had the patience to finish them... After some frustations in the hardest levels the game become too repetitive, and consequently boring to the unplayable level...

13. Carcarius

Carcarius What's a Dremel?

I agree with most that the original was the best and that overall the first 3 were excellent games. The last 3 were not very good. I think there is still life in the title, if they are smart about it. I thin since the first game they treated the title like a movie franchise and spent less time on story and more on special effects. They need a new engine, a new compelling story - bring Lara back to her roots (tomb raiding) - and better yet, make the game episodic so it can expand longer than a set number of levels. Build the the game so that you can download episodes from PS3/Xbox. Just my thoughts, but that's what I would like to see.

14. Carcarius

I didn't like Legend that much. Even though it looked good what they did to the T-Rex battle was unforgivable. Yeah, it's just a game, but in the T-Rex sequence in the original was truly thrilling. Not many games could create the excitement and fear of a T-Rex coming out of nowhere to attack you (the music, the lead-up with the footsteps, etc).

15. Carcarius

Oops, sorry, that wasn't Legend I was describing... just realized that.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

really impressed at the iq in underworld.. it's almost over the top- the first one was the most memorable imo.. but if you haven't tried that last one- your missing out :D

I'll post some screens from my fraps folder later

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  17. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

I liked the second and third titles (though, I never bought any Tomb Raider game), and I slightly surprised to see that neither outsold the first seeing as they both received a lot of main stream attention.

18. Keivz

Keivz What's a Dremel?

The last 3 were my favorites. I enjoyed the anniversary remake more so than the original.

Tags: Add Tags