1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory OCZ 'FlexEX' watercooled DDR3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ry@n, 24 Apr 2009.

1. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I want to spend around £100ish on 6gb of branded DDR3 to replace my current 3gb Arianet £29.99 stuff.

I have found this for £115, and have a couple of questions:
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-155-OC

1. Would it be much better performance-wise to go for some faster stuff like like:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-152-OC
    or could I just overclock the watercooled stuff to match the 200Mhz difference?

2. I can’t seem to find any better pictures of the memory modules and was wondering if they are thin enough to have them next to each other? i.e. I will be able to buy another 6gb pack to use all 6 of my motherboards slots. I know watercooling RAM isn’t worth it but it would do wonders for my ePeen :).

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

Underneath they are probably the same chips of RAM. If you look at the timings, they are looser on the faster "reaper" kit than the "FlexEX" kit, so they will more than likely clock to the same levels.

Personally I've always liked the look of the Flex stuff, cant see any reason that it wont (although dont know for certain)

looks a good price from overclockers, just a shame about their reputation :(

EDIT: jeeeezzzz my spelling is bad (hopefully corrected)

3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Be careful with the Flexx modules if you plan on plumbing them into an existing loop. OCZ have used aluminum channels in their previous kits which wont play happy families with copper blocks and rads (galvonic corrosion).

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thanks for the replys, even for a 6gb kit its not a bad price and having waterblocks already fitted is just a bonus really.

So now I just need to find out if these can fit next to each other without obstructing and the material that the cooling channel is made from as I have a copper rad and im getting a copper based block. I will drop OCZ an email and let you know how it goes.

5. droitwichdosser

copied from newegg (not sure if this will still be on front page but heres the link to the review) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227408

"Cons: Not really a criticism directed towards the memory, just the documentation. I had no problem installing these sticks in adjacent slots, and the documentation states that due to thickness, this is not possible. When I purchased, gave me some concern, and if I had read that blurb on OCZ's web site, I would not have purchased.

Other Thoughts: Would be nice if manufacturers of components did more R&D on height and spacing. Even if one goes by measurements, it is a gamble as to placement and config of other cooling components. If you produce a water block equipped memory set, why not supply the splitter necessary to allow connection to chain. "

appears OCZ says they wont fit, but I guess 1 they are covering themselves, and 2 depends which mobo you got.

6. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

It's Aluminium as stated in the post above you

7. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Hi, OCZ replied to my email and said that I should join the OCZ forum if I want my questions answered which seems pretty crap but anyway I joined the forum and asked again. I got a reply confirming that 6 modules will fit next to each other but my main question is still unanswered.

[​IMG]
    From this diagram it looks like the cooling chamber is copper and the rest is aluminum.

Any ideas?

8. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Looks like I spoke too soon! I just got a reply confirming that they are made of aluminum :( I know this might react with my copper block and radiator but how bad could it be?

9. droitwichdosser

dont know, but i certainly wouldn't like to risk it leaking onto the rest of my system :miffed:

10. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

TBH you want to avoid it where possible as you will see a build up of gunk over time but if you use the right additives you can slow this process.