1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mount and Blade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/09/18/mount-and-blade/1

Mount and Blade may have modest indie origins, but we reckon there's a hell of a lot of fun to be had in this open world, free-roaming medieval simulator. Check out our thoughts as we send Andy to conquer a kingdom with nought but a steed and a broadsword!

:dremel:

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks interesting. It has been on Xfire for a while, I may have to download it.

3. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

I have been playing Mount & Blade since the early betas. I have to say it is a lot of fun and has kept me up till 4 in the morning on many an occassion. To me the best part of the game is the combat. Riding around on hourse back and wacking people has lots of apeal. The only anoying thing is that the combat isn't so great when it comes time to take a castle. Basically if your not on hourseback things don't handle so nicely.

4. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Holy crap!
    The shock I just had in opening up Bit-Tech and seeing a review of Mount & Blade.
    The reason is a friend of mine from games design classes was working on this a few years ago and I was under the impression it wasn't a "commercial" game. As in, it was "a bunch of like-minded people got together online and decided to make a game we like" kind of game where the thing gets made in spare time in different time-zones across the globe, no-one gets paid and is never finished.

If you think the story line is thin now, you should have tried the early version he gave me to play. When I played it, it was super craptacular. And it's nice to see that being heavily attacked at the beginning hasn't changed.
    In fact it was so craptacular that I, even as a dedicated game player who like to experiment with genres, couldn't put any more than four hours into it before uninstalling it. Trying to play it with no instructions and no idea of objectives wasn't a happy experience.
    Graphics = Woeful. If the port was possible, I bet my Amiga could have displayed it!
    Audio = Basic. As in "Defender Of The Crown" basic. And I love Defender Of The Crown.
    Combat = Confusing and choppy.
    Engine = Buggy as hell.​
    But all that is why games aren't released as Pre-Alphas (unless you're GSC and you're releasing a S.T.A.L.K.E.R game), because from the screenshots and description it has come a LONG way.
    It actually looks like a decent game instead of a half-baked mod.

5. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

Defiantly worth a try. Thanks for the review :)

6. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I've already bought it hehe. It's fun but the repetitive game route got tiring after a while. Basically become a mercenary for an empire, then become a vassal, then conquer castles and towns until you capture the world! I went rebel for a while but everyone attacks you all the time. (Think when you play medieval 2 total war and there are rebel provinces - everyone wants them!)

Also the economy isn't perfect, if you go and kill sea raiders you can sell their kit for a lot of dosh, which makes you several thousand dinars very quickly - but try and fight for fame and fortune in the arena and you get something daft like 1 dinar per opponent beat. There are tournaments which are a bit different if you bet on yourself the whole way through (you can make a good bit of cash) - but its very random not in the sense of the challenge but you might make it to the last round only to find you've been given a bow and you're on foot vs a mounted knight.

Bear in mind though that it's still beta, the 1.0 release is coming very soon.

7. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Multiplayer? This would be EVE in Castles if it was MMO or even something simpler like persistent dedicated server.

Let there be Real Enemies...

S*D

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Nope, no multiplayer. I imagine it'd be more of an MMO if there were multiplayer and it'd be more like RISK online.

It does get a tad repetitive, but there is the possibility of user mods which could help to extend the playability.

Still, the game should be applauded as (a) an indie game; and (b) a game which bucks the trends by not forcing players down any particular path.

9. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Very nice. I like their distribution method - 'try before you buy', download the full game and play as you wish, but you're capped at level six. If you like it, buy a license and the cap's taken off.

I'll certainly try it. There's a very good chance I'll get hooked.

10. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

I bought my licence about two years ago, and play periodically. Great fun. Nothing beats riding around with a huge lance skewering peasants.

11. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Will it run on GMA950 + Atom?

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Eee PC 901?

I actually like the looks of this game. Reminds me of Morrowind with better graphics.

13. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

1.0 is being released today and I can't wait!!

And it's not a lot like morrowind its more based around combat (which is excellent) rather than adventuring caverns and such. Although that sounds like an interesting mod idea...

14. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

I tried it thanks to bit tech, I loved it... but I two think with a light multiplayer it could be amazing, ie risk online maybe 8 players max in one world so it doesnt become base rape 1257, and stays rp and strategic.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

We can all re-enact movies together.

HOLD THE LINE

16. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

I have just started playing this game however when i start the game everything becomes red..... any with this problem???
    running a ATI 4850; K9A2 platinium; 4 GB 800 RAM, and vista 64 bit

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

this game is the shiznit lol

was away on business trip for the long weekend and manage to grab my hand on a copy and play it on the laptop....

.... my boss actually had to pry me away from my laptop lol

18. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Thread revival time. :D
    Just bought a copy of this and enjoying it so far. Getting a bit frustrated with some of the quests though.
    One quest in particular is annoying me, whereby a lord asks me to join him with as many troops as i can muster, but i can never seem to find him in the 4 days allocated.
    I check the reports and it says something along the lines of last seen in the wilderness near (location). I go there and ride around for days not being able to find the beast.
    Hopefully one of you brainy people can help an old serf out.:D

Last edited: 27 Apr 2009
  19. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That can be a right **** if you don't get there sharpish, it's because the quest gets triggered while the lord is on the way to his scouting destination, I generally just take an educated guess on direction by heading to the nearest enemy factions territory and searching in grids

20. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Thanks buddy. I guess it's time to put a few more points into spotting and tracking:D

Tags: Add Tags