1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows XP embedded into Windows 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Apr 2009.

1. d4martin

d4martin d4martin

But Virtual Pc is a free download from Microsoft anyway. I useit with Vista 64 so that I can still just my older programs on a virtual Win XP set up. Not had any problems.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what's the advantage of switching to Microsoft VirtualPC from VMware? (apart from the cost)

XP, Win7, Ubuntu, Mac all works perfectly fine on VMware, and with very good graphics acceleration.

3. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

For the reasons MS is doing this, it's a brilliant idea.

4. Natima

Natima What's a Dremel?

Will this degrade performance in any way?
    Will it create loads of extra processes?
    What are the practical implications for someone wanting to use CPU-intensive software, like audio production with tonnes of plugins?

5. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Surprised nobody has done a 'Sup dawg, we heard you like OSs so we put an OS in your OS:sigh:

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Each virtual machine software has their specialties. This is what I found out by testing them all (well the known ones). Windows runs best with Virtual PC, but lacks graphic acceleration, so you have to pick the one that suit you best. For me I have picked Virtual PC as for one it's free and second I don't need graphic acceleration and third gives the highest performance under Windows 2000 and XP (not 98SE) among Windows. However, Ubuntu for instant is a pain to install and pathetic to run under Virtual PC, so other virtual machines like the one from Sun or VMware is the one to go.

OS I tried:
    - Windows 98SE.
    - Windows 2000 Professional.
    - Windows XP Professional.
    - Ubuntu 8.

In my case I have 2 virtual machine software, Virtual Box for Ubuntu and Virtual PC.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that would be nice.. I have the ultimate 64 retail when launched- I even got calls from microsoft about vista early on- like ongoing survey of the userbase.. told them all the issues it had- really not excited about spending hundreds on win 7.. especially when nothing gained for vista ultimate users

the built in vm sounds cool.. most run vm to do that anyways but whatever- it's a feature!

8. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

IIRC, doesn't XP (And 7/Vista) send D3D over RDP (When using "Fast user switching")? It may be a matter of using "Shared Memory", but as this is a virtual machine, "Shared memory" isn't a problem.

So then the VPC emulates VESA for booting, and switches to an RDP renderer (Basically, a "Remote Desktop" session) in Windows proper. Then you've got full D3D/OpenGL access through the RDP channel, in the same way as you would under "Fast user switching" in XP.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

thanks Goodbytes. i've been using Vmware viewer (free) with university provided images for a long time now, very stable and easy to use.

have tryed VirtualPC by Microsoft, isn't a fan of it comparing to Vmware.

10. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Well this certainly seems like the last thing left stopping me from wanting to upgrade to 7. I have held off Vista since day one and each time I've had to make a build that included Vista I don't even bother to configure anything past the drivers. Perhaps 7 will make me change my mind, all this RAM going unused is making me sad.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Good, because there is nothing really to configure in Vista... I mean other than small things like show file extensions (if you do that), install applications and set the defrag schedule to a more proper time fitting the user schedule.

Tags: Add Tags