1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Public Beta News

Discussion in 'Software' started by icutebluezone, 8 Jan 2009.

1. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

I've got a 2.5 GB iso for the 32-bit Windows 7 but cannot locate the 64-bit DVD for some reason. I could start everything friday night and let it run all saturday but my last experience with torrenting is people leech and never seed, so when I drop out nobody can get the file.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's exactly what you get at TPB: iNKiSO's releases are the ISOs, as downloaded from Microsoft, completely untouched.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Win 7 died on me this morning. I've just finished re-installing (and that turned out to be a chore as it kept telling me I couldn't install on this drive no matter what I tried. I ended up stripping the PC down and starting again from scratch.)

4. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

odd, bad drive perhaps? Normally the only thing that does that to me is when I have a HFS+ Partition installed before Windows (or before the time of the re-installation)

@RR5/perplekks45
    If your using a low or high seeded/leeched torrent, expect it. If you get a medium seed or high seed with low leech, then you should have good speeds. Its only when the Leech matches the seed (or is higher) that you have crappy speeds...

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've had the same problem with 3 seperate drives now (2 PATA and 1 SATA). I could boot in safe mode (which said the Intel Bus driver was the problem). However booting into the OS proper alternated between being fine, and windows hanging, start button only showing the outline when clicked and Ctrl-Alt-Del not doing anything.

I've pretty much replaced all the hardware in my system from the 1st Win7 install, and I still get the same problem (the only common hardware left between the 2 systems are 2 HDD's I use for music and documents).

Edit: Just froze again when the Action centre tells me that my AV/firewall (Kaspersky) is not running.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2009
  6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Is there a way to view all folders that are shared on the computer? I'm sure there was a way to do it somewhere, where you could see all the folders that were currently being shared and manage them. Can't seem to find it now.

Sharing is a bit of a mess right now tbh.

7. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

OK i finnaly got round to buying some blank dvd's and ive burnt the windows 7 RC1 to a disk. just asking if its worth the haste to set up? if i just do a upgrade installation over vista will all my aps be saved?

8. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i had that problem, with kaspersky crashing all the time and it taking the whole computer down with it, only recently tho so maybe it's an update thats done it. couldnt be bothered to continue with 7 after that

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I just uninstalled it, DL'd Panda AV and it works fine (would have installed AVG but the installer kept saying it wasn't compatible with this version of windows despite having a compatible with Win 7 on the download page :wallbash:).

10. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Avira works fine with W7 RC

11. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Avira works with all builds up starting with 7000 or 7022 and up, I can confirm this as when i had win7 installed, it was working nicely...

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I tried Kaspersky with Windows 7, but ditched it when I needed to set an exception for Steam.exe so Kaspersky wouldn't think it was a trojan. I don't like having to set exceptions, as it means that if there is ever an infection in said excepted place, it'll get ignored.:worried:

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Works fine on 7057 x64 here :) Can't ged rid of the popup ad each time it updates, despite creating the avnotify.exe folder :/

14. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

same here... right now im just using a cracked copy of Norton 360, so none of that whole notification stuff lol, but it does get irritating

15. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Ummh yea sorry for giving bad advice about making the avnotify.exe folder... :blush: Tried it myself and didn't work. :(

Use this method instead: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Popup-Ads-in-Avira-Antivir

That one is tried by myself (and using it currently) and it works for sure. :)

16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Gah, Lightroom has stopped working. No errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything when I click on the shortcut. :(

Edit: reinstall fixed it.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2009
  17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I finally got RC1 up and running. :D

No major problems so far. The only thing I had to tweak was to set the installer for my sound card drivers to compatibility mode (It's nice to see that they have XP SP3 and Vista SP1+2 included this time as well).

And my display Link adapter won't work in portrait mode with aero enabled. (It will only show the cursor (Lots of cursors, actually) and nothing more). In landscape it works just fine. :confused:

And GTA IV works without any problems! :) (No need to mess about with compatibility mode). It have some weird bug that make it run on only one core during loading, making the GFWL login very slow, but as soon as the game loads it runs fine.

I also installed it on a laptop. Works without any problems. It seems to run a bit hotter than Beta1, though. Need to look into that a bit further later.

All inn all, looks very good so far. :thumb:

18. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

I've just installed RC1 on my pc and must say I like it, not that I had any issues with vista on my brothers pc alhough it was always a little slow.

I'm more used to XP so I took my time learning where things were but so far so good. I had a small problem with spybot in that after I installed it i couldn't start Win 7 it just kept stalling on the welcome screen.

I've also noticed it runs hotter too, geneally at idle in xp its sits between 35-40 depending on room temp and never really went above 60-65 under load. with win 7 it seems to idle at 45-50 and gets right up to high 70s under load. I'll have to keep an eye on it and maybe reinstall the water cooling sooner than I was planning to.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I highly doubt that your risen temperature has anything to do with Windows... unless you have your GPU in that loop too. But... nope, shouldn't happen. And if at all then less then +10 degrees. :eyebrow:

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

In my case it's in the same "loop" (A copper piece on the GPU connected to the CPUs heatpipe).

It's not much, but it's enough to make the fan run constantly.