1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The CoolIT Domino ALC: low cost liquid cooling still has problems

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 Apr 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. McNAB09

McNAB09 Double Tap to the Head - SAS Stylee

i cant beleive it....

Hi All :)

I just got sent the link above from my friend, i recently bought a CoolIT Domino from OCUK and he thought i should see what you guys wrote about it.

I could not believe what i saw :eeek: i have never been soo impressed by a processor cooler! I had no problems installing it into my case?!?!? and found it to be VERY quiet so i dont understand why you had problems? What did Coolit say when you told them about the problems you had?

My mate found it very funny as i had just bought one but i can honestly say i have had no problems and it cools my overclocked 920 perfectly?

Based on my experience with my Domino i cannot agree with your blog and think that you are being very harsh, i love my Domino and it will take pride of place in my case forever!

:rock:DOMINO ROCKS!!

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4. McNAB09

if its good enough for Commodore, its good enough for me

Its strange that i have just done a search for Coolit related threads on your forum and you posted this one....

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/indust...advanced-liquid-cooling-to-commodore-gaming/1

If its good enough for commodore then its good enough for me!! :thumb:

I have seen you post a couple of times about the coolit domino, it seems that you have had a bad day when blogging about it.........for someone that was a believer and follower you seem so negative?

You asked "Why would i spend £76.00 ....." its watercooling and not Air cooling! i thought that would be the first obvious difference? Also i dont fancy putting a HUGE heatsink and excessive fans in my system!! i want the hot air to get out of my case not be blown around it lol

I respect people have different opinions but i cannot agree with you...... i stand by what i say

:rock:DOMINO ROCKS !!! :D

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's low cost water cooling and it does not introduce any noise or performance benefits. The fan on the radiator is loud and even then you're only getting performance close to a fairly middle of the road air cooler.

At minimum, the fan count increases by one with an air cooler... but with watercooling it's typically advisable to give the VRMs surrounding the CPU socket some additional airflow to prevent them from cooking themselves - that's something an air cooler does without complication.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Firstly, that's not my post - that's an Industry Bulletin - it says it's not written by us at the top. :p

Secondly, I had originally favourable opinions about it because it afforded considerable potential, but after using several for three weeks continually I have come to the long term conclusion it's very flawed in application in many ways. I've not posted this without considerable research and discussion with CoolIT.

It's low cost, low flow liquid cooling - it's not "true watercooling" by any means. Go to Coolercases and try to discuss it - see what they call it ;) It's the middle grey area between high end air cooling and low end full WC kits that's never proved that viable because aircoolers get you 80-90% of the way there.

When you say "a lot of fans" you mean ONE. Even two Noctua NF-12Ps strapped either side are quieter than the 6k RPM Domino pump and 120mm fan. I know, I've sat there and had them side-by-side ;)

I'm not doubting your pleasure with it - good for you to enjoy your purchase! However, from your profile I can see you've only managed 3.4GHz out of a Core i7 920, when 4GHz is easy - 4.3GHz is do-able on "watercooling" even.

:)

7. McNAB09

Hi AGAIN lol Im not a Forum freqeunter so bare with me.....

1) My profile states what i happily run it at, i know 4Ghz is acheivable but Overclocking is not my first love so i am happy with 3.4Ghz and it does me just fine :D

2) When you say one fan, i am saying that sitting in front of my mates machine he needed Two 120MM attached to his Heatsink and then additional on his chassis to get any kind of performance, that makes three versus my one on the domino Rad ;)

3) Im not going to say that one is quiter than the other as i know (from working with music in past jobs) that to say "Thats louder than that one" is not a fair acoustic test, If you had tested these in a sound proof lab with the correct equipment then i will bow down gracefully.

4) Commodore Gaming Article - I know its not written by you but as somebody who has posted so many posts and is no doubt respected, to me you are putting your name next to that article.

You said that you ahd not posted without considerable research and discussion with coolit? What did they say about the problems that you experienced?

The main summary to my point is that i have one and did not have the problems that you have listed? Mine has been running a dream since i purchased it and not given me any issues?

.......Again, i stand by what i say DOMINO ROCKS !! :rock: lol

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well if it works for you then go with it. :)

Oh come on, it's not that hard to ascertain if something is noisier than something else ;)

LOL it's a PRESS RELEASE posted by me but copied and pasted from what Commodore gave me. It's entirely written by them and has nothing to do with any of us, editorially.

They are coming over to the UK to see our concerns first hand. They want to go through everything to discuss each part and how we use it, and I'll post again once we have done. :)

9. McNAB09

Sorry had to LOL, i was on a roll. Yes you can have an idea if its noisier, personally i think its quiet. Again its all about personal opinion and what you compare it to, but point taken.

Sounds great :D will be great to see what they have to say about your experiences, ill keep my eyes peeled :D

Im off to add my two pence worth in some other threads :D LOL

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's called side-by-side comparison... that's something we have more than enough hardware to manage and it's something we do whenever we make any noise comparisons. If we say something is loud, it's because we've tested it side by side with at least one product that's known to be quiet.

11. Barrolde

Barrolde uber cool

Hi McNAB09 / Bit-Tech staff members,

This is Barry with CoolIT here in Canada. You can call it Murphy's Law, you can call it Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, you can call it bad luck or you can call it "EPIC FAIL".

Either way, our award winning and much revered new CPU cooler; Domino A.L.C has obviously fallen from grace in the eyes of the more than competent Bit-Tech technical team and it will be my intent to find out why and work to change that when visiting the UK May 13th - 15th.

Certainly there will be more info to be known then. In every other test and review I have seen (and done), the Domino performs as well as the best air coolers and is easier to install. There are other benefits but this isn't just a sales pitch... We sincerely want to know why they aren't seeing the results everyone else has.

I do appreciate Bit-Tech accommodating my visit. Until then!

Cheers,

Barry

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome Barry :thumb:

Looking forward to you coming over - I want to get to grips with both our opinions :):)

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

barrolde slips bindi $100 bill.. what do you think of that cooler now!

14. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

I'm looking to replace my current cooler, and have read a few good reviews of your product, so I hope you can rectify the issues. If you bring large amounts of cheesecake, I'm sure you will make some new friends!
    If everything does go well, maybe you can give a Domino A.L.C away in a competition, what's the cost of one cooler, compared to a trans-Atlantic plane ticket:D

15. ItchyD

ItchyD What's a Dremel?

Hi All, long time reader first time poster

Wow, thats a negative review if ever I saw one, but hey it just goes to show you get what you pay for, cheap end "better tech" doesn't always outperform high end lower tech. Frankly it looks like a novelty product. But then again maybe there was a manufacturing defect with the unit you guys recieved... here's hoping.

ItchyD

16. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I wouldn't complain about this either :thumb:

17. Barrolde

Barrolde uber cool

Hahha hey guys.. yeah I heard about the cheesecake incident(s). Too bad I wasn't around for that... i love that stuff! Hmm, maybe its best that I wasn't... Bindi, can you still enjoy cheesecake after that?

As for bribing the binder there are two problems; 1) bribes aren't allowed on my expense reports 2) we do not work with anyone who's favour can be bought. We have worked VERY hard to bring Domino to market at this price point and the accolades its earned so far were earned not bought. The goal as I've said will be to figure out why there is a 7 year curse on everything we sent their way!

Turbotab... stay tuned :)

To all interested in a Domino giveaway: I hereby proclaim a contest!!

Can I do that??

Lets wait until after my trip where hopefully performance and acoustic issues are resolved and then we'll see that Bit-Tech is provided some product to give a way as they see fit to their loyal forum members.

B

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This I can attest to - Barry has been excellent (despite being somewhat dismayed ;)) with listening to our opinions and we want to work with people like him who take the rough with the smooth. :)

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I like this guy already.. sounds like good customer service to me

20. Barrolde

Barrolde uber cool

Spoken like a man who truly wants a give a way contest ;)

Muhaha!

Service, Sales, Marketing, Operations, Light Housekeeping... I get to wear lots of hats which keeps my job interesting :)

Tags: Add Tags