1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Anybody From The Old CPC Folding Forums

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by cgcox1, 24 Apr 2009.

1. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Saying that just looked at Team Bit-Tech PPD. Less than what I do on my own! Do Bit-tech deserve to be in our Folding name! Should be turned back to Custom PC!

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

As people have been pointing out (though it seems on deaf ears), the CPC team was spawned from the mag, not the website, so many will agree with you. The fact they've shut down the CPC website shouldn't have resulted in a name change, as CPC itself is still alive .... well, it was last time I looked :)

[​IMG]

3. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I'm still here, though it did come as quite a shock when the forums disappeared without (direct) warning. I've been a reader of bit-tech since it was first setup at the same time I have been a reader of CPC since issue one. I do hope that this merger sees some additional growth to the team :)

4. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I agree with many on here - it should stay as only Custom PC's name on the folding team unless there is a good contribution from Bit-Tech to warrant their name being on there.
    Hopefully this merge will see some positive results and extra folders from Bit-Tech :)

My 2p anyways....

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

is the old fourm goign to be going back up if not that is lame as i have posts on there even my sig as well (is it going to be stored someware)

1 of my vide cards do do more then what the old bit tech team was doing (there was only active 27 members)

don't mind the name change, as i use CPC mags and use bit tech web site, bit tech should get more looks at there web site now as reviews here are good (still needs an print button)

come on bit tech get your video cards out and cpus folding (do not use laptops unless you like it to have an short live or know it can handle constant full load) , we must have an large user base here we need about 200-300 video cards to get up to top team points per day

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009
  6. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

doubt it. We might get a read only forum for a short time from monday.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

that be nice

8. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Well, you go away for a couple of days and this is what happens :eyebrow:

I'm not too sure what to make of it. If membership is going to be heavily pushed by the site then I don't mind the team name change too much. The lack of notice or consultation with the team members is a bit concerning.

I know that it's all business but it shouldn't have felt quite this corporate. This is what we do for fun after all.

9. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

Well i never expected the thread to get this many replies, or replies with such feeling when i started it.

10. pas7680

pas7680 overcloked Pc = Central heating :-)

I have to say i was dissapointed with the sudden change...it smacks of big buisness not caring about it's followers. Whie i agree the old site was poor and barely updated, somekind of consultation would have been nice.

Luckily CPC doesn't have much competition magazine wise in the UK, so there wont be many people jumping ship out of annoyance.

11. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

Here I am, after a bit of trouble with my email address getting registered. It seems like you can
    get help to register, but you can't because you have to be logged in to access that page. Perhaps
    I misunderstood.

Google caches the pages of the old forum, but you have to be able to find them first.
    I used it to find my old sig image. I have created a new tinyurl.
    my sig image

I suppose we should not be rude about our new friends folding team. I think I only started
    folding to see my name in the magazine.

On the subject of strangeness and the old CPC Forum, did you know it was also
    the PC Pro Forum? Our posts to the CPC Forum also appeared as the PC Pro
    Forum. Of course, their forum has disappeared as well.

12. recklessrich

recklessrich We all know what a dremel is

Hi All,

Well I've managed to find my way over here, somewhat baffled and bemused particularly with the pace with which all this has happened. Also a bit confused how anyone could produce a website that in some ways looks so plain and in other ways is so cluttered and busy on the eye.

Still it appears a lot faster than the CPC site and seems to work properly in Chrome.

A bit worrying about the team name change without any consultation - what's to stop the name being changing to just "Bit-Tech" in the future if the powers that be so decide. :miffed:

13. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Well I found the site eventually it is faster but I find it harder 2 find my way around..I my self was rather shocked @ what happend after folding for a good few years now ,I think a wee bit of warning would have been nice..
    However I will make the best of it ...... :)

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Way to make us Bit-Tech regular's feel guilty! Don't worry, I'm pretty sure no-one's going to mistake the CPC folding team for anything it isn't, it's the famous CPC Folding Team and just because it has bit-tech.net on the back isn't going to change that. If I were you lot, I'd be encouraging the BT community to take up the folding mantel, as it's not something we've been too activilty involved in. Plus, with the average graphical horsepower of the typical Bit user, there's a lot of potential grunt there to submit to the cause.

15. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

It's not about feeling guilty. That's missing the point. It took years for CPC readers to build up those points and plenty they cost in terms of hardware, electricity and time. Renaming the team was done quickly without consultation, or proper explanation. That's the point. Many CPC folders who are not online (ie. only read the mag) will not even know the team name has been changed. I think there is as much hostility to how this has been handled as there is to the actual team name change. People have contributed to something with $$$'s. It cost them money to do so. If I made a monetary donation to a charity as part of a group, I'd not expect that in 2 years time my donation would be re-attributed.

I hope BT'ers do get on board. Any hostility is not being directed at BT members, but at Dennis and the people responsible for the team name change. We, as users, had no say in it and neither did you..

16. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Are there any tutorials around? You seem to have done this for quite a while, but I wouldn't even know where to start TBH. Some heads-up on bit-tech on how to set up your machine etc. would be nice! :thumb:

17. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Give us a clue about your hardware (CPU and GPU) and OS and we'll be happy to give you pointers to the info you need to get started. :D

Last edited: 28 Apr 2009
  18. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Q6600, Ati 4870 (meh, I know), 4GB RAM WinXP 32 bit

19. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

The answer really depends on your preference and perseverance;

You will probably get the most points out of running a GPU client alongside a Windows SMP client, making sure that the GPU client has it's own CPU core allocation and the Windows SMP client is allocated to the other three cores (see new thread on affinity setting). Stanford has good user guides for setting each up, but you might need extra assistance to get the two running alongside each other nicely. (If you're into VMware, then you can run the SMP client through that on a Linux distro, as this will produce more points again).

20. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

So this is why the team name has changed...