1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Zotac Nvidia Ion Mini-ITX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 May 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

It's a "First Look" HBD.
    Full review later, I think.
    I'm sure they have the same thing in mind, judging from the last 2 paragraphs.

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

oh I know its a first look but in it they sounded hesitant to really test this board out which would be a real shame and unjust for their readers to not properly be informed on what this board can really handle, thats all I was getting at was when they do the full review they actually fully review the capabilities and handling of the board. :)

3. stonedsurd

:thumb:
    I'm interested in this as for an HTPC, so I feel your concern. :)

4. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Three sata is better than one or two you often see on mini-ITX boards. The wireless card seems to take up a fair amount of space....

SPDIF, esata, no need for a PSU, six usb ports.... it has an impressive amount of features. However, i dont see how it can act as an HTPC given theres no PCI slot for a TV card (you could go USB, but for me thats not ideal).

seems to have most potential as a torrent box/ low power server/ NAS combo. If you can keep it quiet it would make a very good audio source (going via spdif, usb or HDMI to your amp/receiver/dac). Then again, none of those options require that nvidia GPU, and I seem to remember the nano still struggled with blu-ray source material (i.e. 20+ Mb/s), so Im struggling to see the use for it.

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Love the board, costs a little too much though.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Interesting, but I think that it would hit the target market better if it had a tuner module of some sorts (even if it hooks up via the internal USB port). It is needlessly powerful for a NAS and not really suitable for a LAN game PC.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you're thinking of a single application - yes - but basic media centre + NAS included would work. Atom on its own, a 1/3rd of the cost would be good for a NAS.

Any kind of Atom isn't exactly gaming! You'd buy the LGA one for that. :p

It's more the onboard DC-DC stuff as well. I'm keen to see if the ATX only ones have this space wasted or not.

Three SATA is only 1 more than Atom and other boards like the J&W/Jetway AMD ones have four SATA (out of a potential six).

USB TV card?

Tbh I'm personally lost to know why people want to record TV these days. Everything (worth watching) is on the net in some form or other: just look at Boxee.

We've already seen the Ion platform handle 40MB/s blu-ray decoding :)

No hesitation, just lack of time. You can either wait 3-4 weeks to even know about it from us, or, get informed of the basics now and wait to see the full review later. We're first on the net with it so I literally just got the box in the post, cracked out the camera, then wrote 1-2k words. Takes about 90 minutes rather than 3-5 days a full review does. ;)

We're not stranger to breaking things, and if it does fry the board it'll get a **** mark. End of. :p

I'm gonna load this bad boy up with several fans, as many terabyte hard drives as it'll take and fire up a blu-ray too. :D

8. stonedsurd

:clap:
    Good to hear!
    Might I request a head-to-head comparison with the Zotac 9300 board+E5200?

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I think it's got the micro HTPC market wrapped up, plenty of power once you add some decent RAM. I do agree with you Nexxo, it does need a tuner of some sort.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I will if they let me keep it that long, but it's not exactly the same market.

11. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

please do if possible, Im wanting to see this as well....

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What do you want to know exactly? Relative performance? Power? blu-ray power use and capability?

13. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

just a full on comparison as to which one can handle more and which one handles what better... I know the e5200 will out do it, but I still want to see what the little atom is capable of...

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well the Atom isn't designed to do "more", it's designed to be fast enough while retaining a low power budget (and cost effective.. but that idea is out :p).

If you don't give a monkey about a few watts or specifically want a low profile and very quiet system, but the LGA board tbh.

15. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

well, in that case why dont they name it Celeron M? But yeah I see where your going... ok...

16. Primoz

Primoz What's a Dremel?

This for a NAS (with 3 or 4 1,5 TB Seagates), running Linux and Software RAID, the LGA one for a mATX everyday/gaming case with an E6750/E8x00 and a 4770 in it (i said E6750 coz i already have it. And the Radeon would be totaly okay for me, i'm on a 7900 GTO now and i have no rpoblems, even TDU works on a 24'').

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Since everyone is looking to see if this is the next HTPC, can you please review it as such with all the bells and whistles like, BR playback, MKV container playback, XBMC or Other media centers.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I really would have liked to see this with a PCI slot, so i could plug in a TV card and build a combined mediacenter and NAS with it. Otherwise a great little product!

19. stonedsurd

Bingo
    I'd like a PCIe card too, but for a different reason. I'm looking to change my HTPC (currently an orphaned S939 rig) to my media center - all my music, movies, and boring games. I'd also like it to fit in a tiny enclosure (was thinking a game console shell).

Now the PCIe slot will be filled by a good sound card (Headphone guy). That's where the trouble starts. The modding of a console shell to fit the sound card I can handle - will be fun. The lack of a slot altogether will be the real pain.

20. vicx

vicx What's a Dremel?

Awww yeah. Could this be the Atom Ion solution that finally delivers the tiny quiet always on loungeroom powa? I love the integrated mini-itx loot because not many of us has those spare parts lying around (yet). For the review could you guys should try out a few cases too and try and set them up to be quiet. Water cooling using the new on the amrket htpc radiators even?

Tags: Add Tags