1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Stock markets, shares and profit

Discussion in 'General' started by wgy, 3 May 2009.

1. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

Hello,

i by no means have a great understanding of economics, nor exactly understand the ins and outs of the stock exchange, however i am going to try and learn, and at least, understand whats going on when and how, possibly later on investing.

so with that said, i was going to ask, could this finiancial "situation" possibly be turned into a positive time to invest.
    my bizzare logic / brain seems to think with the economy struggling, the only way through is up, buy stocks cheap now, worth more later, then sell?

if anybody else has current investments, or is planning to invest, it would be appreciated to hear your thoughts :blush:

2. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

Reason the stock markets are so low is because nobody is investing, even the more clued up investors are waiting for signs of recovery because everything is uncertain at the moment. Not the ideal time to invest, either gonna lose or gain significantly over the next 1-3 years.

I'd personally plow all the money you can into Barclays :p

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Buy low, sell high.

Yes, like never before. If you have money to spare, invest now. It does you no good holding on to it and it will help contribute to a shortening of the "crisis".

We bought a home in the US last Dec. thanks to foreclosures, the market drop and the interest rate drop. And we have been sticking a bit here and there into stocks that are seriously depressed right now, yet not in any danger of collapse (well, there are a few risky ones). Look for stocks that are down to 1-2 dollars a share from anything over 25. Just remember, don't invest anything you can't afford to lose. There is no sure bet. Just well researched ones.

4. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Should have gone for Barclay's shares a few months ago. They were at 50p then, now at £2.50+. That's how to make money now. Find the strong companies that have been dragged down by the weaker ones in the same industry.

5. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

AndyDEL thanks for your view,

Jumeira_Johnny yep, agree on all your points, thanks very much.

Combinho haha thanks, barclays seemed like a good investment 3 months ago.

What do you think about RBS? rurmours they will be bought....but

nov 2006 stocks were worth 605p now worth 44p (i think) if they go back up anywhere close to normal or more again thats a huge gain right?!

:idea:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We're just upgrading too. We lost a bit of equity on our house but that is far outweighed by the drop in prices on bigger properties. We recon that we are saving at least £20.000,-- by moving now.

If you can't afford to go up yet, overpay your mortgage by as much as you can afford. Interest rates are at an all-time low so now is the time when your money can really make a dent in the outstanding capital. :thumb:

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

In my economics class we use vse.marketwatch.com as "practice". You set up and account and invest in real stock (the site cost you nothing to use). It's a pretty cool site and lets you learn with no risk of losing money.

Using that site in economics class, we started with $100,000 and now I'm up to $185,000 in just 35 days. The top kid in class is up to $230,000

8. Major

Major Guest

What?

Say that to everyone who invested into RBS earlier in the year, if you bought £1000 worth of shares in January, they are now worth over £4000.

That company who bought something like £700m worth of shares in RBS earlier this year are rolling around in their profits at the moment, I'm sure they are wiping their asses with £50 notes.

If you want to invest, now is the time.

Look at share prices and evaluate them daily, even hour by hour to see how they are doing, look into the stability of whatever your are investing in (no need to worry that much atm now), the market is all over the price so investing is pretty damn fun at the moment, the problem is with only the share holders who bought shares early last year, their investments have gone down the toilet. but things will pick up in time, which people seem to forget.

9. The_Beast

MGM was a great one to invest in

Last month it was about $1.65 per share. Today it is around $13 per share with estimates going to $30 per share by the end of the year

10. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

*cackles maniacally* Oh yes, oh yes.....it will be mine. Mwhahahahaha.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The only biggest risk i can see with RBS is the government having to bail it out further and thus taking more shares, i doubt you'd get very much back if any thing if the govt has to invest further (nationalise) in them.

Last edited: 6 May 2009
  12. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

thanks for the input steveo,

im still scoping it all out, and contemplating it. But alas i only have £200 kicking around atm.

who knows, might drop it in somewhere for fun, play some games.

13. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

I remember when i was working for Game, there was a poster in the staff room for shares for staff priced around 36pence. I always wanted to do it but thought I was too young and wouldn't see alot of return for the money I would invest, I was only working part time so barely made much money. Just checked Game's stock is at 197.50 so I'd be a damn sight richer than I am now.

Go for it wgy, I've been wanting to get some stocks and shares but again I've been putting it off until I finish my degree. But what the hell, I think I should stop putting it off.

14. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

@ WGY are you in the UK?, if so get a sub to the Financial Times, for anybody serious about business, it is the gospel.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Rule no. 1: what goes up must come down. What goes up steeply, comes down steeply.

16. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Rule #2, predictions are not always correct. (although that could just mostly be CNBC :lol:)

17. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Only invest what you can afford to lose!

Don't forget that there are costs involved with share dealing too, so if you're only going to put in a small amount then you're going to need the shares to go up by more than just a few percent before you see any return.

18. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

19. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

20. The_Beast

Buy low, sell at the peak, then sell short to make even more money

:thumb: