1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays who here has tried a new 120hz LCD ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knuck, 9 May 2009.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

basic question here : have you tried one and if so did you notice huge improvements for gaming ( mostly FPS games) ?

i cant play ut2k4 anymore ever since I switched to an LCD. 3 months later it's still as terrible as the first game and impossible to use. I'll never get use to it *sigh*

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Quick ques: Which LCD are you currently gaming on?

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Asus VH242H

cheap TN 1080P 23.6" monitor

I just played a few games of cod4 and I really don't see any difference with the LCD. However in UT it's awwwwwwfullllllll

Even braid looks terrible because there is so much tearing

4. stonedsurd

That sounds like an issue with VSync.
    Is it on or off?

5. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Turn V Sync on, i find i get awful tearing when my FPS is rocketing above 140FPS, but with it locked to 60FPS, its smooth as butter.

I Used a 120Hz Monitor at Gadget Show Live, all looked very good, but i could only try burnout in 3D (Which was amazing :p)

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hang on..... if you are using a 120Hz monitor, shouldn't VSync lock it to 120fps? There should be no tearing at 120fps or below, as the game FPS is below the refresh rate.

If it's not doing locking it at 120, then surely there's a driver problem.

When i enable vsync here, it locks at 60fps.... if I set the refresh rate in the driver software to 50hz, it locks it at 50fps etc. Shouldn't it be locked to 120fps?

7. stonedsurd

To eliminate tearing/stuttering/most forms of unexplainable weirdness, the FPS needs to be locked to the refresh rate.

Find your monitor's refresh rate and lock the FPS to that - problem solved (mostly :p)

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

nah vsync is off and i will never ever turn it on. It's impossible to play UT with vsync on as it lags the mouse to the point of making the game unplayable.

I do know the principle of tearing and how to avoid it but I can't apply it with an LCD since I cannot lock the framerate in UT. Maybe I could for other games, which would certainly help, but in UT it's impossible because of the netcode

I know there is just no way I can fix my the 'problem' I have with my LCd. That's why I am wondering if anyone likes me,who wish they could have never gotten rid of their LCD, has tried a 120hz model and if it's as good as a CRT or not

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well if you won't enable Vsynch, that's your own problem! I can see what you mean about the engine being poo though, not exactly unique for that engine really is it?

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

while on this topic, my current LCD is capable of either 60mhz or 75mhz refresh rate at my current resolution...is higher better as was generally the case with CRTs?

11. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I couldn't play UT because the input was so laggy anyway. Compare it to any ID tech engine games (That includes HL2) and it feels so unresponsive.

But as said before, turn VSync on. It's the only way to fix tearing really. Why did you but a 120Hz screen anyway? Not like you can really perceive the difference...

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

You mean Hz, right? :p

Sometimes higher is sharper, but sometimes it just makes the picture really bad. You should try.

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I don't think he did buy a 120Hz screen, that's whole point of this thread. His Asus VH242H isn't, as far as I can tell, 120Hz capable, and he wants to know if the higher-frequency-produces-better-pictures adage of old CRTs still works for LCDs, and therefore whether he should invest in a new 120Hz monitor to cure the ills of this one.

I'm no expert on UT's engine, but from what I heard experts say about it I always imagined an ancient, crippled Gollum-like thing crawling in dark places. :worried: Therefore, I'd say either engage Vsync, and live with the lag, or buy lots and lots of headache cures, because I don't think higher hertz is going to solve this problem...

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The technologies are different. LCD's won't benefit from higher refresh rates because it has a persistent image - until a change is sent the original is left on-screen, so as long as the rate of change is more than you can perceive you'll never notice.

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

yea hz :p my monitor is not some l33t cpu driven clockable beast sadly!

i tried 75hz, it did look sharper! but my monitor buzzed!

you know the noise you get breifly from alot of monitors when you first start up your PC and they come out of stadby...that slight eletrical buzz.....well putting it in 75hz made it do that constantly! so I'll leave it at 60.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

120hz LCDs sound like marketing crap to me.

High Frequency displays had a point in the age of the CRT. Not because of frame rates, but to prevent noticeable flickering. LCDs don't flicker the same way, as they don't have to scan pixels in the same way ("unscanned" pixels remember their previous state). The only think that will flicker is the back light (if it's a CCFL), but that will be closer to the kHz range, so you won't notice at all.

You won't really notice the difference between 60 and 120Hz anyway. Remember that in cinemas they operate with 24Hz (per full frame) and that looks very smooth.

edit:

Does DVI even support 120Hz? Should be possible on VGA (although I doubt the picture will be sharp), but IIRC DVI have pretty poor band with and can't cope well with high resolutions at high frequencies.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I don't want to be picky or anything, I just cant enable it. With vsync on I can't even hit a non moving bot if I am moving.

The UT input is perfect if vsync is off. I've played it for years and it has nothing to envy to id engines. With vsync on however, that's a different story as it is true that id engines don't suffer the same issue.

I have debated this many times and it seems no one will ever believe me, but I can see the difference between 75 and 100 hz. Hell, I could even tell when my CRT was at 85 or 90 hz when it should have been at 100. I don't know how, but I can feel it somehow. I bet it's completely different with an LCD and I don't pretend I will see the difference between my 60hz and a brand new 120hz but I don't give a crap. What I want is something that feel at least almost as good as a CRT does

I think the UT engines (I dont include the third one) only had two problems. The first being the one mentioned above : vsync. The second problem would be the fact that it's cpu limited and that no matter what videocard you have, you need quite a powerful cpu to never drop under the needed framerates. The 2nd engine is the worse in that category as even a first generation Phenom cpu couldn't handle the damn game haha

Other than that it's a very solid engine that is extremely customizable and flexible. You can change the display settings in-game and not worry about being disconnected from the server. The ini config files are also great for tweaking, something we don't see these days

sooooo .... I am guessing none of you has tried a 120hz LCD ? :D

18. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

i have tried the 100hz samsung 40" monitor with my desktop 4 a while but i kept getting a ghosting efect when watching videos and playing games. When set the tv to its normal 60hz the ghosting went..

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

really ? That's odd.

20. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I don't know what experience anyone here has with the 120Hz screens; if I remember correctly, there's a grand total of two on the market, which NVIDIA pushed along so that they could run 60Hz into each eye of their GeForce 3D effort.

If we've reached another conclusion I'm sorry I missed it, but I thought we'd pointed the finger of blame at UT and it's... innovative... engine programming. Is that one game worth the £300-odd for a 120Hz screen? I've never tried one, but like smilodon says, it's not based on the same principles as CRTs are. See here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/100120-hz-lcd-why-should-you-take-a-look-2007042354.htm.

If you really want to try, by all means go for it, let us know how it goes!